Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 AM

5 posts, read 6,231 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was hoping to get a little help on this. I'm looking at a possible relocation within the next year, and Pittsburgh is on my list of potential new homes. The problem is I've only been a couple of times, and I won't have much time to visit for longer than a day or two in the coming months. Here's my vitals:

-Single, no kids, female, late 20s
-Don't have a job lined up yet (I'm trying to figure out the best/worst-fit neighborhoods for me first, then I'll look for jobs nearby before moving)
-Coming from D.C., grew up in a slightly sketchier neighborhood of D.C., then went to school near Baltimore--most crime doesn't bother me, as long as there aren't used needles on my porch or bodies in the back yard, and my stuff remains un-stolen, I don't care.
-I'm not really PC, but I'd rather not live next to neighbors who'd be weirded out by an Indian person (dot, not feather) moving next door. I don't care if it's all or mostly white as long as they're chill about me not being white. Sorry to even include this, but I've had some odd experiences in other cities before and I'm not really sure if there are neighborhoods in Pittsburgh that I'd just need to avoid.
-I don't cheer for the Ravens, and I don't mind cheering against them.
-Walkability would be great but not entirely necessary.
-It doesn't have to be trendy. I'm proudly boring.

So basically I'm looking to narrow down the neighborhoods I'd need to visit the next time I'm up there. Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:06 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,575,172 times
You could live in most neighborhoods of Pittsburgh with that criteria. What's your rough budget? Guessing you'd rather live in the city from your post?

Old 08-08-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
You could live in most neighborhoods of Pittsburgh with that criteria. What's your rough budget? Guessing you'd rather live in the city from your post?
Thanks, Bong477. Yes, city would be preferable but close suburbs are fine as well. Up to $200k would be fine, though I don't mind putting a little sweat equity into a cheaper place that's livable but a bit run down at the date of purchase. I've looked at the Trulia heat map for Pittsburgh to help narrow the neighborhoods by price, and it looks like a lot of neighborhoods are within my range by that measure.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:42 PM

43 posts, read 98,058 times
Take a look at Morningside while you're in town. We're a friendly and quite residential neighborhood close to both Shadyside and Lawrenceville. There's not much in the way of excitement, but we have a growing population of young homeowners and recent Pittsburgh transplants who are very active in the community.

Also, You may want to look at one of the local realty websites for a more complete listing of homes currently available for sale.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:54 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
You'll have a lot of choices, and I would strongly recommend renting for a while before buying so you can explore those options. Accordingly, I'd actually suggest reducing your planned order--see what sort of jobs you can find first, then find a place to rent nearby.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:50 PM

Thanks all for the help. BrianTH, you're right that that would probably be a better order to do things in. Still, any info ahead of time would be useful, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningsider View Post
Take a look at Morningside while you're in town. We're a friendly and quite residential neighborhood close to both Shadyside and Lawrenceville. There's not much in the way of excitement, but we have a growing population of young homeowners and recent Pittsburgh transplants who are very active in the community.

Also, You may want to look at one of the local realty websites for a more complete listing of homes currently available for sale.
Had a question about this. I see on the neighborhood map in the Burgh info thread that there's a neighborhood between Morningside and Lawrenceville, Stanton Heights. Is this a neighborhood I should add to the list, as it's also so close to Lawrenceville etc.--or is this one of those situations where it's officially known as Stanton Heights but it's unofficially part of another neighborhood?

Old 08-08-2011, 04:12 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,987,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_square View Post
Thanks all for the help. BrianTH, you're right that that would probably be a better order to do things in. Still, any info ahead of time would be useful, too.

Had a question about this. I see on the neighborhood map in the Burgh info thread that there's a neighborhood between Morningside and Lawrenceville, Stanton Heights. Is this a neighborhood I should add to the list, as it's also so close to Lawrenceville etc.--or is this one of those situations where it's officially known as Stanton Heights but it's unofficially part of another neighborhood?
The way you phrased that question makes it seem like you think Lawrenceville is a bad area. Lawrenceville is just as fine as Stanton Heights and Morningside.

To answer your question, Standon Heights is its own neighborhood. Check out Pittsburgh City Living to get a map and bio on each of our neighborhoods,

Old 08-08-2011, 04:30 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_square View Post
Different kinds of architecture. Stanton Heights is 1950s suburban brick houses for the most part, Morningside is full of foursquares, I think somewhat Victorian in style, and L'ville is mostly rowhouses built for workers in the mills that once operated below Butler Street.

Does anyone know what Stanton Heights looked like before they built all the suburban houses in the '50s?

Old 08-08-2011, 04:33 PM

809 posts, read 2,410,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Does anyone know what Stanton Heights looked like before they built all the suburban houses in the '50s?
I think it was a golf course

Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
The way you phrased that question makes it seem like you think Lawrenceville is a bad area. Lawrenceville is just as fine as Stanton Heights and Morningside.

To answer your question, Standon Heights is its own neighborhood. Check out Pittsburgh City Living to get a map and bio on each of our neighborhoods,
Not at all--sorry if it came off that way. I was really just curious why Stanton Heights wasn't mentioned when the other two were (in other words, I thought it was possible that it was sometimes referred to as its own neighborhood, and sometimes not, depending on who you talk to). Thanks for the website, I'll check it out. And thanks, jay5835 and gameguy56 for the info on the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh