Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 01:12 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times

Advertisements

By the way, and admittedly breaking my own rule about specific recommendations in advance of getting employment, my neighborhood, Regent Square, is a good example of a neighborhood which is walkable in many respects, even if it is not completely walkable in the sense that it has every basic sort of store right in the neighborhood. In Regent Square (or very nearby), you can get small houses in your budget, and it is quite progressive in terms of things like ethnicity and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:36 PM

894 posts, read 1,325,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_square View Post
Hi, I was hoping to get a little help on this. I'm looking at a possible relocation within the next year, and Pittsburgh is on my list of potential new homes. The problem is I've only been a couple of times, and I won't have much time to visit for longer than a day or two in the coming months. Here's my vitals:

-Single, no kids, female, late 20s
-Don't have a job lined up yet (I'm trying to figure out the best/worst-fit neighborhoods for me first, then I'll look for jobs nearby before moving)
-Coming from D.C., grew up in a slightly sketchier neighborhood of D.C., then went to school near Baltimore--most crime doesn't bother me, as long as there aren't used needles on my porch or bodies in the back yard, and my stuff remains un-stolen, I don't care.
-I'm not really PC, but I'd rather not live next to neighbors who'd be weirded out by an Indian person (dot, not feather) moving next door. I don't care if it's all or mostly white as long as they're chill about me not being white. Sorry to even include this, but I've had some odd experiences in other cities before and I'm not really sure if there are neighborhoods in Pittsburgh that I'd just need to avoid.
-I don't cheer for the Ravens, and I don't mind cheering against them.
-Walkability would be great but not entirely necessary.
-It doesn't have to be trendy. I'm proudly boring.

So basically I'm looking to narrow down the neighborhoods I'd need to visit the next time I'm up there. Any help would be much appreciated.
139 Davenport Way, Pittsburgh PA | MLS# 849995 - Trulia (http://www.trulia.com/property/45022818-139-Davenport-Way-Pittsburgh-PA-15219 - broken link)

Problem solved 3-5 min drive to town 15min walk. Brand new home for 95k this whole street has new homes on it. Its not suburbia but its far from "iraq" if your not into anything no-one will bother you... why buy a 200K home if no kids how many rooms do you need.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:00 PM

58 posts, read 72,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
In the context of the thread and your earlier post, if you're claiming that post was sarcasm, there was 0% chance anyone could tell. If that's the way you think it is best to post sarcasm on an internet forum, I do believe I will skip your seminar.
I do believe that the mere fact I described a parade of horribles in response to the L'ville comment made my scarasm quite clear. The only mistake I made was thinking that others in this forum would have the intelligence to identify such a comment, and thus, read sarcasm all over said comment. But I forgot, I am dealing with the Pittsburgh forum, which means I must clearly spell everything out, but then again I would be taking a risk on if whether you can spell.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I've seen pretty similar sentiments stated seriously on this forum many times, sometimes even more cartoonishly paranoid than that. Without any knowing you we take such things on face value.
Given that I'm not "known" to others isn't an excuse for being uptight and serious about a forum. This should all be lighthearted and fun, yet all I have seen so far are people who take this all way too seriously as if what anything we have say is going to make slightest bit of difference. I hate to break it to everyone, but our pathetic comments (I include myself) are inconsequential.

Paranoid? Give me a break, but it's obvious that I am annoyed that you people can't take a joke. In the grand scheme of things is what I, you, or anyone else has to say on here going to change things, no. So lighten up, have fun, and enjoy life while having a discussion.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

Edit: Oh, and if your audience didn't understand what you were trying to communicate, that is your fault, not theirs.
I'm actually a great communicator. I just refuse to dumb down my speech to the level of the average Pittsburgher. But considering that's what I'm dealing with here, I guess that is what I'll have to do.

I hope that was clear enough.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:10 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtesse_Gigi View Post
I'm actually a great communicator. I just refuse to dumb down my speech to the level of the average Pittsburgher. But considering that's what I'm dealing with here, I guess that is what I'll have to do.
Geez, myself and most everyone else on this forum probably can't for the life of themselves figure out how you havent been able to find gainful employment; why would every business in town be silly enough not to hire the smartest person in the area? I am dumbfounded!

Edit: nm, you went to wvu

Old 08-09-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Geez, myself and most everyone else on this forum probably can't for the life of themselves figure out how you havent been able to find gainful employment; why would every business in town be silly enough not to hire the smartest person in the area? I am dumbfounded!

Edit: nm, you went to wvu
My goodness, I touched a nerve, which only proves my point. Pray tell, where do you surmise that I haven't found gainful employment? Because I don't list it for you and the world to know? Brilliant!

And for the record, I didn't just go to WVU. I went to Pitt for undergrad and then to the WVU College of Law. Furthermore, I chose the schools, the schools didn't choose me. You realize that different have schools have different programs of interest, right? But then again maybe you didn't go to university? I haven't stalked your profile to know.

My suggestion to you would be that before you call someone out, get your facts straight. Being dumbfounded is a constant state for most Pittsburghers, but there's a cure for that.

Again, nice try. I'm lighting up that cigar now.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:07 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
My goodness, I touched a nerve, which only proves my point. Pray tell, where do you surmise that I haven't found gainful employment? Because I don't list it for you and the world to know? Brilliant!

And for the record, I didn't just go to WVU. I went to Pitt for undergrad and then to the WVU College of Law. Furthermore, I chose the schools, the schools didn't choose me. You realize that different have schools have different programs of interest, right? But then again maybe you didn't go to university? I haven't stalked your profile to know.

My suggestion to you would be that before you call someone out, get your facts straight. Being dumbfounded is a constant state for most Pittsburghers, but there's a cure for that.
Why are you considering moving from lack of opportunity then?
Quote:
I moved away for a short time, but came back in hopes that this renaissance Pgh is currently experiencing would take off. Sadly, I still have few opportunities here so I'm looking to move again. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
and oh, I'm sorry, WVU college of law, a brilliant tier 3 institution you got there...good thing i didn't graduate from college, or get law degree from a 1st tier institution, or have an LLM lying around either, I'm just stupid like everyone else from Pittsburgh.

If it didnt seem so much work was put onto your posts I would have to say you were some persona someone was having fun with on here.
Join a forum about a specific geographic region, and then immediately go into attacking the majority of posters, defending your own ridiculous assertions while telling anyone that disagrees how smart you are and they are not, and topping it off by berating the city you are posting in and embarassing my profession further as if it doesnt happen enough.

Rant over; My next post will be back on topic.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:27 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
I do believe that the mere fact I described a parade of horribles in response to the L'ville comment made my scarasm quite clear. The only mistake I made was thinking that others in this forum would have the intelligence to identify such a comment, and thus, read sarcasm all over said comment. But I forgot, I am dealing with the Pittsburgh forum, which means I must clearly spell everything out, but then again I would be taking a risk on if whether you can spell.
Identifying sarcasm relies on differences in vocalization from the norm and sometimes visual cues from the speaker. Since on the web we are typing and reading rather than speaking and listening/watching, the only way it can be identified is by additional textual clues, or perhaps by prior knowledge indicating that person's views to be opposite of what the person has written. Neither of these was present for those reading. Indeed your insistence reveals a shortcoming in knowledge of the of the city, as many people would seriously espouse the views you did right down to the extremes that most of us on the forum (and apparently you as well) find to be laughable. I work with these people every day, the "Lawrenceville is scary" crowd. I laughed at that post. But it isn't so obviously sarcasm as you would insist.

It's not a big thing in the grand scheme of things, true. But hey, if you're going to spout off about schooling people on sarcasm, I'm going to point out how you're wrong.

An I doan rilly knead to be able to spel in order to reed.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Why are you considering moving from lack of opportunity then?

and oh, I'm sorry, WVU college of law, a brilliant tier 3 institution you got there...good thing i didn't graduate from college, or get law degree from a 1st tier institution, or have an LLM lying around either, I'm just stupid like everyone else from Pittsburgh.

If it didnt seem so much work was put onto your posts I would have to say you were some persona someone was having fun with on here.
Join a forum about a specific geographic region, and then immediately go into attacking the majority of posters, defending your own ridiculous assertions while telling anyone that disagrees how smart you are and they are not, and topping it off by berating the city you are posting in and embarassing my profession further as if it doesnt happen enough.

Rant over; My next post will be back on topic.
Actually, WVU is top 100. Not tier three. There is no longer a first tier there are only top 100 schools, tier three, and tier four. Second, I am a practicing attorney just not in the field that I want because what I'd like to do isn't here but elsewhere; however, at the time when I took the bar, my industry looked promising. Therefore, I'd rather move than be one of those miserable attorneys like you. Again, you are so brilliant! And considering that most LLMs are merely a year long and aren't regulated by the ABA that really doesn't mean anything. Who are you showing off for? It's not me! So, you basically did a fourth year of law school? How's that loan payment?

You, sir, are embarrassing MY profession by making and jumping to rash conclusions and then making personal attacks with NO FACTS to prove your point. I certainly hope you aren't practicing because if I were your client I'd have serious doubts about your ability to effectively represent me. Furthermore, since I was born here, I can attack Pittsburgh all I want. Pittsburgh is not Mecca, and I'm not going to pretend that it is for one second. Good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh