Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:07 PM

12 posts, read 35,885 times

Advertisements

So what's up with it? I'm just curious, what do you guys think about it? Do you think it's a useful element to the city? I know other cities like New York and LA have subway systems that are vital to their citizens, and although we're obviously not as big as those areas, I'm just curious about how important PGH's is.

Also, when are they opening the North Shore connector? I remember hearing that it was supposed to open in 2011, but it's not yet.

So in short, what are your thoughts on the T?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:47 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
It goes south, and a little bit to the north.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:58 PM

12 posts, read 35,885 times
Reaallllyyyy....... had NOOOO idea

Old 07-30-2011, 01:27 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,713,246 times
I rode it to work for over 10 years, from South Hills Village, to downtown. It was convenient for me, but very frustrating at times, with delays, and stoppages of service.
It's ridiculously slow, with WAAAY too many stops; I think perhaps 100 or more in Beechview alone. ( just a BIT of exaggeration)
I recall that it almost always took 45 minutes from downtown to SHV, regardless of time of day.
Overall, I believe that it's a plus for those of us in the South Hills, even with it's faults. Again, it's sloooooowwwwwwwww.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:34 PM

388 posts, read 849,421 times
Doesnt seem like there are any expansion plans anytime soon, and from what I've seen it is very limited in how it serves the southern suburbs. I dont understand why why they wouldnt extent it out to make the stadiums more accessible, like most major cities do. I have read about Pgh being a very car centered city, and the lines that have been around didnt do too well because everyone drives.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:39 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
Doesnt seem like there are any expansion plans anytime soon, and from what I've seen it is very limited in how it serves the southern suburbs. I dont understand why why they wouldnt extent it out to make the stadiums more accessible, like most major cities do. I have read about Pgh being a very car centered city, and the lines that have been around didnt do too well because everyone drives.
Is this a joke? You mentioned the NS Connector so I'm assuming that you know it will soon serve the stadiums.

Other than that, there's simply not enough money or political will to expand the T service right now.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:49 PM

388 posts, read 849,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Is this a joke? You mentioned the NS Connector so I'm assuming that you know it will soon serve the stadiums.

Other than that, there's simply not enough money or political will to expand the T service right now.
Different poster than the one that mentioned the connector, dont even know what that is. I was just looking at T maps a week or two ago and saw where the rail lines are now, not any future plans, but I am glad to hear about that expansion.

I read a post a while vack about all the issues with expanding rail lines to the other suburbs, so you dont need to get into that, its just something I like in a city, and its kind of keeping me away from looking at the other suburbs.

Last edited by jifie; 07-30-2011 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: understand the mix-up

Old 07-30-2011, 02:23 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
Pittsburgh has a lot of half-baked transit ideas. The T goes south of the city, and there are express busways to the east and west of the city. There's nothing to the north of the city. There's also been talk of heavy commuter rail through the Allegheny River Valley, and also from Greensburg into the city.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:29 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,914 times
The only time I ever rode the T was the day my Jeep got impounded by a city cop with a bug up his rear. It may have been that I was already in a "Shoot everything that annoys me until it stops moving" mood but it was probably the worst thing I've ever ridden in my life.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:51 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
It may have been that I was already in a "Shoot everything that annoys me until it stops moving" mood but it was probably the worst thing I've ever ridden in my life.
It wasn't your mood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh