Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 02:24 PM

180 posts, read 701,836 times

Advertisements

If I am looking to buy a house in Edgewood, what would be the boundaries of the "safe" area? I am told to stay away from Swissvale and Wilkinsburg but are there any physical boundaries, such as streets that form a perimter around the good areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 02:52 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times
The advice you have been given so far is overly simplistic. For example, the parts of Edgewood bordering Swissvale and Wilkinsburg in Regent Square are among the most desirable in the borough.

Generally, there really is no bad part of Edgewood, but if you want commentary on specific areas some of us might be able to give it.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:01 PM

10 posts, read 21,773 times
What BrianTH said is true, It must be pointed out that all of Swissvale is NOT BAD! Cheifly the area closest to Rankin is the problem. This has been basicly true for years. The parts of Swissvale nearest the Edgewood line ar O.K. (Some as good as Edgewood itself.) What Screwed up Swissvale was the Swissvale School District being forced into Woodland Hills in the 1980's. This problem affects Edgewood,Forest Hills, Chalfant and Churchill as well. Except for the portion of Edgewood in Regent Square (Frick Park), I personally would stay far from the Wilkinsburg line. Good Luck!

Old 08-11-2011, 02:29 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
The Wilkinsburg line is just a block or two from Braddock Ave. in places, containing some of the nicest parts of Regent Square. Until you get North of Forbes (or even North of Penn), you should not be concerned about the Wilkinsburg line much at all.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:35 PM

180 posts, read 701,836 times
This is all very helpful, thank you!! so what do most people do about the Woodland Hills SD issue? Send their kids to private schools? Are the elementary schools OK? Do most people wait until high school age to start private school?

Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy205 View Post
so what do most people do about the Woodland Hills SD issue? Send their kids to private schools? Are the elementary schools OK? Do most people wait until high school age to start private school?
In my experience, some of the parents immediately start using private schools (secular or Catholic) or charter schools (Propel in particular is very popular in Woodland Hills). But other parents are using the lower-grade schools happily--I've heard a lot of good things about Edgewood Elementary (formerly Edgewood Primary) in particular. The Middle School is where a lot of those parents then drop out, and turn to one of the alternatives.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:53 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,931 times
To second BrianTH's observation, having discussed this issue with a great many Woodland Hills parents over the years (starting with the very first person I met after moving to the region many years ago) the issue seems to break down according to economic circumstances and general outlook. For those who live within the feeder pattern of Edgewood Elementary, that is often an acceptable choice. Others choose the private/parochial route from the beginning.

Charter schools offer a third option which can be attractive, either Propel or Environmental Charter School, though the latter is now a victim of its own success, in as much as ECS is required to give preference to City residents and the school has done so well that very few or no places are left over for the second tier of suburban applicants.

Among the fifty or so families I've known in Edgewood who sent their children to the public elementary schools, very few kept their children in the public system for Middle School. Most either moved at that time or (the greater number) went private/parochial.

Finally, though the OP specifies Edgewood, I might point out that parents in the adjacent parts of Pittsburgh and Wilkinsburg have different choices. The sliver of Pittsburgh in Regent Square can choose between Pittsburgh Public and charter schools which received their charter from Pittsburgh Public, ECS in particular being an attractive option since it's right down the street.

Parents in the Wilkinsburg corner of Regent Square, in my experience, tend to regard the Wilkinsburg School District school (Kelly Elementary) as a non-option. Some of my older neighbours sent their kids there as part of a brave concerted effort re-invigorate the Wilksbg public system in the early 70s. Since then, everyone who raised a family in the Regent Square/Whitney Park corner of Wilkinsbg has either gone private/parochial or charter.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,255,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy205 View Post
If I am looking to buy a house in Edgewood, what would be the boundaries of the "safe" area? I am told to stay away from Swissvale and Wilkinsburg but are there any physical boundaries, such as streets that form a perimter around the good areas?

There are big differences in taxation between the various jurisdictions out that way.

When I was looking for my own house, I had the distinct impression that Wilkinsburg had significantly higher taxes as opposed to Pittsburgh or other jurisdictions.

That's more of an issue than safety I think.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:15 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
There are big differences in taxation between the various jurisdictions out that way.

When I was looking for my own house, I had the distinct impression that Wilkinsburg had significantly higher taxes as opposed to Pittsburgh or other jurisdictions.

That's more of an issue than safety I think.
I'd agree that the financial side is more an issue than the safety side of the equation - Edgewood as a whole is very safe, if by safe we mean the likelihood of being a victim of violent crime, while the areas adjacent to Edgewood likely to be of interest to someone considering buying a house in Edgewood are equally safe.

But the tax difference isn't that significant. Egdewood Borough and school millage rates are 33.811 combined, while Wilkinsburg borough and school is significantly higher at 49. However, given that comparable properties tend to cost and be assessed somewhat lower in Wilksbg than Edgewood, the actual tax bill is, mutatis mutandis, about the same.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:34 AM

Just an aside, but it will be interesting to see how the reassessment affects all this. Wilkinsburg has likely experienced more total appreciation than some realize, so applying the state's anti-windfall laws, I think the rate gap with nearby municipalities may close a bit. This should be particularly good news for the upcoming areas like Peebles Square and Hamnett Place, which should get the benefit of lower rates while still having quite competitive prices/assessments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh