Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times

Advertisements

15 Dangerous Cities for Driving - Yahoo! Autos

Notice the last sentence before the list begins.

It is interesting that most of the places are in the South. Guess they don't know how to drive down that way. The roads are much better as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 11:08 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
Speed kills. Many southern cities are set up for a lot of high-speed car travel, which means more fatalities.

Pittsburgh having 50% pedestrian fatalities also makes sense. Echoing the point above, we are not as set up for high-speed car travel, but conversely we do a lot of walking, and not all of our roads are well-designed for walking.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:19 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,136,372 times
Pittsburgh walkers should cover themsevles up in layers of bubble wrap. Isn't Pittsburgh noted for its jaywalkers?

I'm at a lost to explain why so many southern cities make the list. Interesting that the cities listed are medium sized.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Pittsburgh walkers should cover themsevles up in layers of bubble wrap. Isn't Pittsburgh noted for its jaywalkers?

I'm at a lost to explain why so many southern cities make the list. Interesting that the cities listed are medium sized.
I am shocked Miami isn't on the list. Ft. Lauderdale is on there though. When i lived in Miami, it was insane driving there. Fast and very aggressive to the point of stupid. Miami had to just miss that list.

As far as the South, well... I mean the education down that way... well you know, not exactly... um that great. Just look how they vote.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:33 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,017 times
Here in Charlotte, there are roads similar to 5th in Shadyside (residential with curbs and narrow lanes) where cars go 55 (speed limit - 45) The speed limits in the this city are higher than in Pittsburgh and drivers are more reckless with quick lane changes without the use of blinkers. I think many Southern drivers are pretending to be on a Nascar track! Whenever I come back to Pittsburgh, I definitely notice how slowly everyone drives. I like it that way though (except when Pittsburghers merge on a highway - they can't seem to do that at an appropriate speed)

Old 08-09-2011, 11:34 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,777,168 times
No surprise Florida cities made the top spots on the list. People here look at me like I'm crazy when I say Pittsburghers are slow and timid behind the wheel. But since I grew up in FL I really notice the difference. Here you'll regularly see people poking along under the speed limit, stopping to let others make a left in front of them, stopping on on-ramps, etc. In Florida, everyone drives very aggressively. The average speed is 10-20 mph over the limit (many go much higher), they speed to the end of on-ramps and cut in at the last second, they'll beep at you from behind to go through a light that is about to turn red, red-light runners are rampant, seeing people weaving in and out of traffic is common, and it's rare to NOT see an accident during your daily commute. It's just not like that at all in Pittsburgh. You'll see aggresive drivers here too, but they are more the exception rather than the rule.

And it makes perfect sense that Pgh has the highest % of pedestrian fatalities. There's not going to be a lot of fatal accidents between cars poking along at 25mph on our slow, winding roads. But the lack of sidewalks (and even shoulders!), poor sightlines due to the topography and general disrespect for pedestrians here makes it a dangerous city to walk in.

Last edited by Mugatu; 08-09-2011 at 11:46 AM..

Old 08-09-2011, 12:04 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugatu View Post
no surprise florida cities made the top spots on the list.
i-4.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:42 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,827 times
I'm not suprised. People fly through ryellow lights all the time here and when it changes to red, they still fly (see Braddock Avenue between Penn and Forbes.)

Corner of Biddle and Braddock also needs a stop sign, not a flashing crosswalk sign. There is a park there!!!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:58 PM

58 posts, read 72,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post

Okay, jaywalkers are fair game, but what about when you are in the crosswalk?! I love walking around my neighborhood, but if I had a penny for each time I've almost been hit crossing the street legally I could put my career on indefinite hold.

My guess is that in the south everything is spread out so driving is a way of life for most people. Therefore, pedestrians just don't have a presence and drivers just don't care or understand why anyone would walk. Has anyone explored maybe this is why the five most obese states in the union are in the south? Lack of walkability = weight gain. Obviously, there are other factors, I'm just guessing maybe this could be one factor.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtesse_Gigi View Post
Has anyone explored maybe this is why the five most obese states in the union are in the south? Lack of walkability = weight gain. Obviously, there are other factors, I'm just guessing maybe this could be one factor.
There must be some truth to that. And if I wasn't feeling lazy I'd google up some proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh