Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Ghosts can be very helpful. After a heavy snow, they'll scare off anyone who tries to park in your space after you've shovelled it out. That's why people put chairs out--gives the ghost a place to sit down.
Now, that is howlingly funny!

I took the OP's question seriously, and I gave a serious answer. I've seen things, heard things, and so have others, regarding those two houses. But after 30+ years of observation, I really don't think it's at all threatening. And if you ignore it, it just tapers off, it seemed.

If it were true that hauntings follow objects or furniture, my house would be a continuous war zone. I have old stuff, exclusively. Old used furniture, family antiques, lamps from secondhand stores, and I only buy used vehicles. Paranormal seems rooted to place, not transient with possessions. If it followed possessions, some of mine would no doubt have decided that they don't get along with, say, the set of dining room chairs or something, lol.

The only possible exception that I've heard of, is a machine shop in NW PA bought an old 1920s-vintage machine and moved it to their shop. One machinist who works there swears that the machine came with a ghost named Frank, who has been seen (and heard) walking through the new location, stopping at the machine, and then sometimes that machine switches on by itself. Another machinist says he hesitates to say the place is haunted, but says he feels like there's someone there. And those guys say that they communicated with this spirit via Ouija board, and that's how they found out he's named Frank, he used to run that machine, and he hangs around the shop. So, I guess they have an old retired guy ghost who likes to hang out there. Whatever. Ain't skeered. Kind of makes life less boring.

Last edited by SorryIMovedBack; 08-25-2011 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 12:02 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Belief in non-natural things is not exactly exclusive to political liberals--in fact, I'd go so far as to say that if anything, such beliefs are more prevalent among political conservatives.

But anyway, as the survey I posted earlier suggests, many Americans (37%) believe in haunted houses, and most Americans believe in one form of paranormal thing or another. I guess you could conclude that means most of your fellow Americans are idiots, but personally, I kind of grew out of that attitude after puberty. Again, I don't personally believe in any of that, but I don't have a problem with people who do.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:49 PM

32 posts, read 67,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newpgher View Post

There are places in the country where homes with reported paranormal activity must have this "fact" disclosed prior to sale. I suppose now there will be remarks about the backwardness of such places.
I read some states do, some states don't but not sure about PA. I already found a web database with the history of some houses at that state.. although that does not guarantee anything. We actually planned on doing the research on our own and to ask around. Who is best that the neighbors?

Old 08-25-2011, 02:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I'd love to see a list of which states require disclosure of paranormal activity.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:48 PM

53 posts, read 82,281 times
Ghoul Disclosure: Must Home Sellers Disclose Paranormal Activity? | LegalZoom
discusses this issue to some degree, but does not provide a comprehensive list. I can tell you that Louisiana has such a law, and I know there are others.

It's my understanding that if someone moves out of a house because of paranormal activity, then they actually do have to disclose, whether it is explicitly required by law or not.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:25 PM

5 posts, read 6,687 times
Default Haunted houses in Pittsburgh

CocosMom asked a very legitimate question! Those mocking the question simply have been lucky enough never to experience a haunted place.

When I was house hunting a little over 2 years ago, for every single house I looked at, I asked the realtor if it was haunted. She thought it was a foolish question, but having grown up in a haunted house, I didn't want to buy a haunted house and get stuck with it. Surprisingly enough, there was a house in Washington, PA that just didn't feel right. It totally gave me the creeps! Luckily, the house I ended up buying in Canonsburg isn't haunted.

There is a lot of history in the Pittsburgh area, so it isn't silly to think there is a possibility of buying a haunted house. Pennsylvania isn't one of the states requiring a haunted house disclosure, so you have to take your chances and trust your instincts.

Best of luck!

Old 09-10-2011, 04:34 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quick, someone post the stats of the number of haunters have left the 'Burg!

Actually, I'm one who believe that the possibility of it certainly exists. I would have thought Pittsburgh with so many old housing, plus the attics and basements as well, would have slightly more than most other cities.

Maybe they left town though?

Old 09-10-2011, 01:07 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
ahahahaha well coming from California, where Ghosts are walking alongside with everyone else (Think Joan Rivers & co) I would assume it must be frightening to think you may have some in your own house playing with the light switches! hahahaha

The question is why would you buy a house before actually moving and checking out all the areas! That seems more weird than having ghosts! Also, in the hotel from the middle of nowhere, could it be possible that alcohol may have been slightly involved? and also that being "in the middle of nowhere" maintenance may not be all that prompt?

Old 09-10-2011, 04:07 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
This thread brings the lulz

Old 09-10-2011, 07:42 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,193 times
Here is Bellevue Library which was featured in a book about some of America's most haunted houses. There have been supposed sitings of a woman wearing a large hat peering out of the upstairs window, along with electrical disturbances with the library's lighting and computers. The ghost woman has been "identified" as being Amanda Bayne, the daughter of Andrew Bayne who donated the home to the Boro of Bellevue to be utilized as a library.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh