Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 03:08 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,232,211 times

Advertisements

I know we have talked ad nauseum on these pages about how Downtown restaurants need to stay open later on both evenings and weekends. I fully expect someone who either may or may not have owned a restaurant suggest that it makes no financial sense from a restaurant owners standpoint to do so, blah blah blah. That is with all due respect.
I headed to Market Square yesterday for dinner. I was dying for a burger and a beer. I headed to Wingharts. They had already put the stools up and were cleaning up by 5:15 pm. I decided upon Moe's. They were cleaning up also. There were literally dozens of people trying to get into these places. Some commented "Closed at 5pm?! It' not even dinner time yet" These businesses are losing a lot of money. Not to mention that it is a major turnoff and bad PR for the city. I decided upon Las Velas, where I had a great meal. I came out around 7:30 pm and found a $55.00 parking ticket on my windshield and noticed everbody esle on the square did too, despite blocking no fire hydrants or intertsections, and no parking meters, just vague signage. Anyway, the ticket was my fault. I just think that maybe the restaurants and the city itself could be a bit more visitor friendly on a Saturday Night if they want to attract visitors who spend money. There is a demand to stay open. Maybe some of the young professionals who will be in over their heads when they rent these new $1,000 plus per month apts. will find the need to turn tables a few nights a week to help staff the new demand. The time to change is upon us.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 08-28-2011 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 03:23 PM

128 posts, read 201,390 times
I would like to see this too, but until more people actually live downtown instead of just commute in Monday-Friday we'll continue to see a trend of places only open during the week and when events are happening (Pirates are away this weekend, for instance). Downtown needs a critical mass of residents and then we'll see a more vibrant off-weekend atmosphere there.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:25 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,038,961 times
Agree completely, nuwaver. I have found myself going downtown much less often now that the meter rate increases have taken effect, and are enforced until 10pm. I think that is going to discourage a lot of downtown visitors. Downtown was on the upswing, but it seems the city is doing everything within its power to discourage that.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:32 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I know we have talked ad nauseum on these pages about how Downtown restaurants need to stay open later on both evenings and weekends. I fully expect someone who either may or may not have owned a restaurant suggest that it makes no financial sense from a restaurant owners standpoint to do so, blah blah blah. That is with all due respect.
I headed to Market Square yesterday for dinner. I was dying for a burger and a beer. I headed to Wingharts. They had already put the stools up and were cleaning up by 5:15 pm. I decided upon Moe's. They were cleaning up also. There were literally dozens of people trying to get into these places. Some commented "Closed at 5pm?! It' not even dinner time yet" These businesses are losing a lot of money. Not to mention that it is a major turnoff and bad PR for the city. I decided upon Las Velas, where I had a great meal. I came out around 7:30 pm and found a $55.00 parking ticket on my windshield and noticed everbody esle on the square did too, despite blocking no fire hydrants or intertsections, and no parking meters, just vague signage. Anyway, the ticket was my fault. I just think that maybe the restaurants and the city itself could be a bit more visitor friendly on a Saturday Night if they want to attract visitors who spend money. There is a demand to stay open. Maybe some of the young professionals who will be in over their heads when they rent these new $1,000 plus per month apts. will find the need to turn tables a few nights a week to help staff the new demand. The time to change is upon us.
I agree with everything you mentioned regarding places being open & the city being welcoming in general of after hours visitors. The last sentence I disagree with in that $1,000/month for a place downtown isn't outrageous at all & perfectly doable for many a young professional without the need for a second job.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:36 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,232,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madg0at View Post
I would like to see this too, but until more people actually live downtown instead of just commute in Monday-Friday we'll continue to see a trend of places only open during the week and when events are happening (Pirates are away this weekend, for instance). Downtown needs a critical mass of residents and then we'll see a more vibrant off-weekend atmosphere there.
I respect that, and there is surely some truth to it. I work Downtown in hospitality. The demand for staying open later is now. I deal with it all of the time. The city is getting good pub. People are starting to check us out. We all know on these pages that Pittsburgh is all about the neighborhoods. Still, Downtown looks like a jewel from Mt. Washington in the evenings. It falls short in the evening hours at street level. It does not have to be this way and the demand IS there and will continue to get better. They may well get in the habit of staying open. With the beauty and walkability of Downtown, it could be one of the best in the nation. It is in the daytime, but not night.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
The last sentence I disagree with in that $1,000/month for a place downtown isn't outrageous at all & perfectly doable for many a young professional without the need for a second job.
It depends on what field you are in. For many young professionals, who start out at something like $30,000 a year, that is going to be quite a stretch, especially when you factor in parking at another $200/ month. And don't say "but they could use the bus or walk to work." Sorry, but the bus is not very reliable, does not go everywhere that a job might be located (certain suburban areas, for example, which are not on the bus line), and many jobs in the city are not located downtown. A car is still pretty necessary in this city, unless you have the holy grail of a great job downtown you can walk to. And just pray you don't lose it.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:45 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,721,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
The last sentence I disagree with in that $1,000/month for a place downtown isn't outrageous at all & perfectly doable for many a young professional without the need for a second job.
With this city's salaries for young people I don't think that's entirely accurate. The new places that are opening up charge for utilities and parking, so no young person on a $35k/yr. salary is going to be affording a $1000 a month apartment any time soon.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
We all know on these pages that Pittsburgh is all about the neighborhoods.
I hate this argument. Having nice neighborhoods is no excuse for having a ****ty downtown.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:47 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I hate this argument. Having nice neighborhoods is no excuse for having a ****ty downtown.
It's a side effect of Pittsburgh's having always been so suburban. Pay for parking downtown? Never. And I'm talking well before Luke's 2011 Nightmare.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:52 PM

128 posts, read 201,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Agree completely, nuwaver. I have found myself going downtown much less often now that the meter rate increases have taken effect, and are enforced until 10pm. I think that is going to discourage a lot of downtown visitors. Downtown was on the upswing, but it seems the city is doing everything within its power to discourage that.
I didn't think about this, what are current rates to park downtown between meters and the garages? I have a car, but never drive it, especially downtown, I just take the bus and skip the hassle but that isn't doable for folks not on a main bus artery (nor would I if I was coming in for fine dining).

Quote:
I respect that, and there is surely some truth to it. I work Downtown in hospitality. The demand for staying open later is now. I deal with it all of the time.
Your perspective then is certainly better than mine . Is downtown event-driven from your perspective? Last weekend I was in for the 4:10 Pirates game and Market Square was jumping afterward, everything looked open! It was starting to shut down though around 9:30 when I left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh