Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,219,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
It also doesn't really matter who said that, but it was RockLobster, not me.
How'd that happen? I guess I also quoted your last post and it all got messed up in my edit. Thanks for catching it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 07:18 AM

132 posts, read 266,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
You don't need snow tires. Just get a good set of all-season tires that have a good rating in snow and you'll be just fine.
Where snow tires really shine is driving on ice, not only from tread pattern but also bc they are made of a softer compound rubber that is designed to have more grip in freezing temperatures. All seasons are a harder compound and do not grip nearly as well in temps below freezing.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,715,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namdeguerre View Post
I am a newbie here, just going to start a job at GE in Erie. Buddy in college told me that if you are on the lake, you get no snow till January because of the warmth of the lake.

I visited here a couple of times and have looked at places in Millcreek and Summit - between I-90 and the 38th st, both west and east of I79.

Do I have to be closer to the lake to avoid snow?

Thanks
I lived in Erie for 36 years, here's the deal: as long as the lake is not frozen, most of western PA, especially NW PA, is open to being blasted by "lake effect" snow. As long as the winds are out of the northwest, the snow is carried to Interstated 90 and points south. If the winds, by chance, are out of the west, then the City of Erie and the communities immediately along the lake shore get the brunt.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:22 PM

570 posts, read 1,413,381 times
Snow Happens

Old 09-26-2011, 04:45 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,211,318 times
Quote:
I lived in Erie for 36 years, here's the deal: as long as the lake is not frozen, most of western PA, especially NW PA, is open to being blasted by "lake effect" snow.
And while it's not specific to the OP's question, western PA will even see lake effect snow coming off of Lake Huron occasionally, and Huron is slower to freeze than Erie, because it's deeper.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 11,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I lived in Erie for 36 years, here's the deal: as long as the lake is not frozen, most of western PA, especially NW PA, is open to being blasted by "lake effect" snow. As long as the winds are out of the northwest, the snow is carried to Interstated 90 and points south. If the winds, by chance, are out of the west, then the City of Erie and the communities immediately along the lake shore get the brunt.
@scottrpriester, thanks, that is what I was trying to figure out -is there a place which avoids snow completely? I guess not, so snow tires, even if they are not necessary, but I am sure they will be better than my current tires.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:48 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,715,306 times
Quote:
@scottrpriester, thanks, that is what I was trying to figure out -is there a place which avoids snow completely? I guess not, so snow tires, even if they are not necessary, but I am sure they will be better than my current tires.
Although I fully support the use of snow tires and will attest to their superiority in all snow conditions, I never used snow tires in all my years living in Erie. With the ever changing terrain in Pittsburgh, however, they give me a big advantage.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 PM

570 posts, read 1,413,381 times
Great point on the Huron connection Ditch, so very very true !! Get a load of this. Have been looking at acerage up in the UP of Michigan.. Lake Effect there west of Marquette off Lake Superior results in 300 inch plus averages. With the 1800 ft elevated hills recieving 400 plus inches..That's a snow job !

Old 09-28-2011, 05:31 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,855,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychomantis View Post
Where snow tires really shine is driving on ice, not only from tread pattern but also bc they are made of a softer compound rubber that is designed to have more grip in freezing temperatures. All seasons are a harder compound and do not grip nearly as well in temps below freezing.
Good to know! Thanks for sharing the tip. I always wondered what the difference was between snow tires and all seasons.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:19 PM

181 posts, read 304,441 times
Quote:
I am a newbie here, just going to start a job at GE in Erie. Buddy in college told me that if you are on the lake, you get no snow till January because of the warmth of the lake.

I visited here a couple of times and have looked at places in Millcreek and Summit - between I-90 and the 38th st, both west and east of I79.

Do I have to be closer to the lake to avoid snow?

Thanks
The lake effect snow goes all the way to the Pocono's, so I would guess somewhere around nothern Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh