Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 07:49 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
...Herr Curtis...
Someone that is looking for this stuff and calls me a name for giving advice to be in an area that has a strong Jewish population. You won't see me calling someone a follower of Hitler, but there you have it. Pure class! I had a feeling that is what this was all about. Troll alert complete!

Old 10-19-2011, 07:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
They were even allowed to join the Longue Vue Club. There goes the neighborhood!
They aren't the only ones. I know a jewish family that belongs to Longue Vue. They live in Hampton Township.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:51 AM

9,328 posts, read 13,001,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I knew my advice would come to that from you. Anyone that starts threads like this and states certain neighborhoods are, "Jewish", is looking for this stuff.
And yet, you're the only one who felt the need to respond with sarcasm and disdain.

And the "Herr Curtis" line was blatant hyperbole. I don't think you're a Nazi. You do seem to have problems with Jews though.

@Hopes: Great to hear about Longue Vue. I'll keep it on my list.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:56 AM
gg

I am done with this kind of thread. You have two posts going you want to be around Jewish people. I gave may answers because that are accurate. I think the best start would be the Jewish Community Center that I would belong to if I was closer to it. YES, I would belong AND called it the best place to workout in all of Pittsburgh!!! Does that sound like an, "anti-Semite" that you called me? Yes, another name calling. Seems you have plenty to dish out and were looking for this stuff from the start!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:00 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
As an aside, h_curtis, when most Pittsburghers think of "Fox Chapel" they also include adjacent O'Hara Township and Indiana Township as well because they are so similar in terms of geography, demography, etc. Just because the two synagogues in the "Fox Chapel Area" are just over the municipal boundaries of "The Borough" doesn't mean that there still isn't a good concentration of Jewish people living within Fox Chapel itself.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:02 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I am done with this kind of thread.
If only.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:05 AM

9,328 posts, read 13,001,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
As an aside, h_curtis, when most Pittsburghers think of "Fox Chapel" they also include adjacent O'Hara Township and Indiana Township as well because they are so similar in terms of geography, demography, etc. Just because the two synagogues in the "Fox Chapel Area" are just over the municipal boundaries of "The Borough" doesn't mean that there still isn't a good concentration of Jewish people living within Fox Chapel itself.
All that aside, I love Fox Chapel's housing stock/general feel. It really reminds me of Gladwyne (a Main Line town) if any of you are familiar.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:25 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,010,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
People around here couldn't care less about your religion as long as you have one, it seems. But, this isn't a topic that comes up with our group of non-nebby neighbors. So I have no idea how religious or not any of them actually are.
I think there are an awful lot of people around here who are pretty non-religious without necessarily self-identifying as atheists (although they might if asked). Certainly I have met a lot of "lapsed Catholics" and non-religious Jewish people. In that sense I think a lot of times religious affiliation is more cultural and institutional than doctrinal (e.g., what holidays do you celebrate, what charity events do you participate in, and so forth).

Old 10-19-2011, 08:42 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,528,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

There really is a big difference between Fox Chapel and O'Hara/Indiana Twp. There are only few areas in each that are comparable to Fox Chapel. O'Hara and Indiana have pockets where it is possible to buy a house for 50,000 which certainly isn't doable in Fox Chapel.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:00 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I don't think you would have trouble living ANYWHERE in the Pgh area being Jewish...
Well stated.

It sure is interesting how people will jump on me for an opinion and call me a Nazi and an "anti-Semite". Wow. If someone starts two threads wanting to be around a "Jewish population" the answer is Squirrel Hill. If they want a suburb with some Jewish people, the answer is ALL of them. I don't think there are pockets outside of Squirrel Hill. Would I suggest Springdale? No, but Oakmont and all over the place closer to the city. Are there Jewish people in Fox Chapel, O'Hara? Of course, just like any other area. Is there a concentration of them? No.

I guess my answer, because I don't agree with some is just easily labeled a Nazi's view or some anti-Semite opinion. Lord knows I shouldn't dare have an opinion different than someone else that might offend someone? How dare I say there ins't a concentration of Jews in Fox Chapel. What would I know being that I am on my third home in Fox Chapel. How dare I give such an opinion. I am a Nazi and should be on the block!

What a place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh