Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:43 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Can you guys give me the approximate location of this Library-Manor district in McKeesport, where the grand old homes are? I would like to cover it on my upcoming photo tour. McKeesport is a very big area and it's hard to find everything. Also, if anyone is aware of where any beautiful old homes are located in that city, let me know!
Catch Shaw Ave. from downtown McKeesport and just follow it up the hill: along Versailles Ave. (go past the old Bnai Israel synagogue...I think it's called "Rainbow Temple" now) and just go up. Get on Union Ave. then up towards Library. Some great homes are all along there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:11 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
It doesn't matter where you are, England, America or anywhere else, if a house remains vacant for years, decades, it will definitely break down.

Yes, but in how many places in USA is this same abandonment and decay occurring, was my point. It's not just McKeesport, it's happening on a huge scale, everywhere in USA. Even before the economy soured, there was a pervasive attitude of "if it's old, you just let it fall down and build something new." But the new stuff was designed with a 20 or 30 year design life, and the really good stuff was allowed to go to waste.

Don't get me started on asbestos and lead paint. That's just another case where mass hysteria and litigation overruled practicality and elbow grease.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:13 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
I always enjoy your tours, Alleghenyangel. :-)

Old 10-25-2011, 10:48 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Thanks guys! There are so many awesome buildings to photograph in McKeesport. I think I'm mainly going to focus on abandoned historic buildings, because I worry that they will be gone in a few years, and I'd like to document them.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:14 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
AA after you do your tour in McKeesport I think you'll have the confidence to conquer Fairywood!!! haha lol jk

Old 10-26-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
AA after you do your tour in McKeesport I think you'll have the confidence to conquer Fairywood!!! haha lol jk
AND Homewood! I'll just go really early in the morning. Are there certain colors I should not wear?

Old 10-26-2011, 09:51 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
The reason I'll post don't be seen wearing _____ color in ______ neighborhood even during the day is to just eliminate the potential BS that some rachetty-azz gangsta/gangstas may give you while your in "their turf" or "their block"...
No doubt that there's very low probability that anyone will say anything to you even if you wear a red t-shirt while waiting for a bus/walking on Frankstown Ave, Homewood at 11:00 am... But pm is different!!! At night if you are walking around/waiting for a bus stop you really should stay with the set colors (black white, or main color) or at least don't wear clothing, hats, accessories of the rival neighborhoods... The saying "shoot first ask questions last is how these so-called gangstas pass" is defiantly in place and to save one's self from the potential trouble just don't wear rival colors.

My personal guidelines:
-Don't wear red mainly @ night anywhere but: part of Perry South (by that blue bridge), Garfield, East Hills, most of McKeesport (everywhere except Crawford Village), part of the Duquense (only in the streets off Grant Ave), or the Hill District
-Don't wear blue in those areas, plus it's not smart to wear excessive blue in any 'hood in the county, even Homewood or Hazelwood because crip sets do feud with other crip sets
•Colors to wear... Simple if you wear any kinda black or white shirt and normal blue/black jeans/pants you'll fit right in.
As its very clear to see every 'hood has clearly adopted the style of wearing a "white-T" so wearing white regardless of whatever allegiance of any gang neighborhood is fine...
Plus everyone from the local street bum to the president, has a black shirt/top of some sort, so even wearing all black is fine.
•Green, yellow, brown, etc are all fine to wear in any of Pittsburgh's roughest neighborhoods too.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:12 PM

Thanks, Uptown! I'll try not to get shot. haha.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:11 PM

366 posts, read 944,432 times
You won't. While I live in the South Side, I grew up in McKeesport and still spend a lot of time there. You have perception and reality. When it comes to people's view of McKeesport, those two are usually far apart.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:23 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I have been reading random articles online and I came across this fascinating history of McKeesport. As I'm sure many of you know, McKeesport used to be a very bustling city and the heart of the Mon Valley. This article details the factors that led to McKeesport's decline -- the opening of Eastland Mall in the 1960s, a massive fire that destroyed several downtown blocks and landmarks in 1976, and finally the loss of steel industry jobs in the 1980s. McKeesport wasn't able to recover from these blows. As late as 1976, McKeesport still had major retail and department stores, movie palaces, and daytime shoppers and office crowds, much like downtown Pittsburgh today.
That's one of the things that really sucks about the Pittsburgh region. Places like Mckeesport are a prime example. My grandparents used to tell me stories about how much fun they had there, and how great the town "used to be". Same goes for Penn Hills, where much of my family is from.

I understand that the decline of the steel mills was a big hit to the area, but it's been 30 years. I also understand that these areas are still economically depressed, but self respect and tidiness cost little to nothing, and there's no excuse for a lot of the blight. For example, the business districts in some of these communities are an absolute disgrace. How many crumbling retaining walls and pothole laden parking lots are there in places like Mckeesport....or anywhere in the Mon Valley for that matter? That's what codes and code enforcement is for, and apparently one or both of those things doesn't exist in the Pittsburgh area.

You have to start somewhere, however it seems much of the Pittsburgh's region's trouble is starting at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh