Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:38 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times

Advertisements

I agree with you in theory, but for people who are activelly looking for jobs it is very dishartening because if they'll reply with an answer then I wouldn't have to waste my time continuing to apply for a company that does not take my qualifications into account for whatever reason. This new "policy" where they don't answer leaves room for speculations from people who apply!

So far I applied to a few dozen jobs that my qualifications are an exact match, and it seems to me that none of them are taking this into consideration. I am new in town, so what am I supposed to think exactly? I feel like I deserve an answer in order for me to work on aquiring the extra skills they may need but they're not advertising! & obviously I cannot purchase one of their cousins so I apply through the nepotism route!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
Um, that's a pretty big logic leap that because they haven't called you back, they're guilty of age discrimination against you. And just because you think that you're "more than qualified" for the jobs doesn't mean that they would agree.

Some companies move at a glacial pace when it comes to hiring. And most companies don't even send out ding letters anymore. On a whim, I applied for a job with a very large local company that I, too, believed I was more than qualified for. That was about 5 months ago, to this day I have not heard back. It happens all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 10:49 AM

674 posts, read 1,413,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I agree with you in theory, but for people who are activelly looking for jobs it is very dishartening because if they'll reply with an answer then I wouldn't have to waste my time continuing to apply for a company that does not take my qualifications into account for whatever reason. This new "policy" where they don't answer leaves room for speculations from people who apply!
This isn't a "new" policy- companies across the board have not been sending out "ding letters" for years.

Perhaps your qualifications aren't coming out in your written materials - your resume, cover letter, etc. Perhaps you aren't communicating clearly. Perhaps there are others that are even more qualified than you that are applying.

It is one thing to be disheartened during an unsuccessful job search. It's another to be tossing out accusations of discrimination. It reflects quite poorly upon you and your general attitude towards the job search.

Also, have you gotten out to try to meet people and network? That's how many people find jobs nowadays, especially for positions beyond entry level. You're new to town, I doubt that you know many people in your profession. You need to get out and meet people and get involved in industry groups. There are a ton of jobs out there that aren't posted and that are filled quickly by someone the group knows and is familiar with. A company would much rather hire someone that several people know from the industry that they know is capable and nice to work with than a stranger from out of town that no one knows.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:06 AM

Once again I agree with you, of course there are a ton of other qualified ppl, that's a given! I said that because I heard from more than one source that they prefer the 'very young' so that usually doesn't involve "experience"!

I don't know where to network since I haven't been part of any local organisations. I am not a Linked IN fan, I have a family and don't have unlimited time to spend online for that purpose.

Quote:
This isn't a "new" policy- companies across the board have not been sending out "ding letters" for years.

Perhaps your qualifications aren't coming out in your written materials - your resume, cover letter, etc. Perhaps you aren't communicating clearly. Perhaps there are others that are even more qualified than you that are applying.

It is one thing to be disheartened during an unsuccessful job search. It's another to be tossing out accusations of discrimination. It reflects quite poorly upon you and your general attitude towards the job search.

Also, have you gotten out to try to meet people and network? That's how many people find jobs nowadays, especially for positions beyond entry level. You're new to town, I doubt that you know many people in your profession. You need to get out and meet people and get involved in industry groups. There are a ton of jobs out there that aren't posted and that are filled quickly by someone the group knows and is familiar with. A company would much rather hire someone that several people know from the industry that they know is capable and nice to work with than a stranger from out of town that no one knows.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:08 AM

I paid a professional to write me resume & cover letter! so, those are Ok.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:09 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madg0at View Post
I always kind of wondered what the dress code at these sorts of places are for professional, non-retail, staff. Does everyone from the CEO on down dress like high schoolers? That would be pretty creepy if they did...
Yes. They can wear flip flops to work.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I don't know where to network since I haven't been part of any local organisations. I am not a Linked IN fan, I have a family and don't have unlimited time to spend online for that purpose.
Then get off the computer and go find those organizations. No one is going to hand you a job. Getting a job simply by filling out online applications is not the most efficient way.

You may not be a fan of LinkedIn, but many many people in the business world use it. Many organizations also use it to send out notices about events and new groups.

But nothing beats meeting people face to face. Your posts don't come across as if you want to put in much actual work to find a job. You're making excuses and blaming others (i.e. discrimination). I have no idea of what industry you're in, but with five minutes of google time you could easily find groups and organizations in Pittsburgh in that industry.

Hiring someone to write your resume and cover letter doesn't mean that they're good. Especially if that person just wrote you one cover letter that you use as a form and just change the addressee - cover letters and resumes should be tweaked for each job you apply to so as to speak specifically to that listing.

In summary - get off the computer, stop whining, and go meet some people in your industry. No one here is going to hand you a job.

If I recall previous posts of yours on this board, you come here asking questions then refuse to listen to answers provided to you. This also does not bode well for a job search.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Do they still have major operations out there? Their headquarters are on the South Side now. You might be mistaken for rue21, which is headquartered in Thorn Hill Industrial Park.
AE still has their same facility in Thorn Hill; it's just not the HQ anymore. If nothing else there's a big warehouse. Not sure which other parts of operations may have remained there. Hm, now that I think of it they may have had an additional building in Thorn Hill that they got rid of when they moved the HQ.

As far as job searching, I can tell you from some pretty close experience (not my own, but someone close to me) that applying to stuff that way yields a lot of nothing, but you may eventually get a bite. In other words, send out 50, 100, whatever applications and you may get a couple bites and eventually an offer. But there are a LOT of other equally or better qualified people applying. And a larger well-known brand company like AE attracts even people who really want to work there just because it's that company. So they probably get a higher number of applicants, run everything through an automated screening, etc. (Automated screening of resumes can sometimes reject people for reasons that human screeners would not.) Anyway, if this is the only way you job search, be prepared for it to take many months. I've watched it happen twice, and the first time was when unemployment was lower.

Last edited by greg42; 10-24-2011 at 01:01 PM..

Old 10-24-2011, 02:33 PM

440 posts, read 549,789 times
Quote:
I was just interested in their "communication" policies. I applied several times for several openings they had that I am more than qualified for, yet I have not heard a word back either way. Seems to me they like to discriminate if they're only looking for "young" people! That basically means they refuse to pay for someone experienced, or they're trying not too!

In which case more protests called: "Occupy HR's" should follow! IMO. What are we the ones not 40, but not in our 20's r supposed to be doing exactly?
Young is a very subjective term. Does age discrimation exist , of course!! Is it fair , not at all.

Quote:
Then get off the computer and go find those organizations. No one is going to hand you a job. Getting a job simply by filling out online applications is not the most efficient way.

You may not be a fan of LinkedIn, but many many people in the business world use it. Many organizations also use it to send out notices about events and new groups.

But nothing beats meeting people face to face. Your posts don't come across as if you want to put in much actual work to find a job. You're making excuses and blaming others (i.e. discrimination). I have no idea of what industry you're in, but with five minutes of google time you could easily find groups and organizations in Pittsburgh in that industry.

Hiring someone to write your resume and cover letter doesn't mean that they're good. Especially if that person just wrote you one cover letter that you use as a form and just change the addressee - cover letters and resumes should be tweaked for each job you apply to so as to speak specifically to that listing.

In summary - get off the computer, stop whining, and go meet some people in your industry. No one here is going to hand you a job.

If I recall previous posts of yours on this board, you come here asking questions then refuse to listen to answers provided to you. This also does not bode well for a job search.
Wow, Burghgirl... I needed this speech while I was on my job search.. Algia, after reading your posts you don't really seem like you want help, but looking for a place to vent your frustration (and I have been there believe me) Today's Job Market is a horrible horrible place, experience doesnt mean a thing.. Too much will get your thrown out and too little won't get you in the door. Linked in is also A MUST!!!

Networking is your best, if not only, way to get into a company. Try to go to your local PA career link center. They have contacts that will give a better chance at getting in the door.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:59 PM

I don't think you can judge me not knowing what I do or don't do about my job search!

It seems very easy for you to speak without knowing all the facts! I would need to hire a baby sitter in order to attend hour long events, how should I pay for that without an income? not everyone has the luxury to hop these events. I just missed one this weekend because 2 of my kids developed fever!

As far as Linked In is concerned, you have to be recommended in order to meet anyone. I "used" to have an account long ago, around 2004, and I belonged to some groups related to my field, but I couldn't get in touch with anyone because someone else had to recommend me; and since I didn work with anyone or at one of these larger companies, I never had anyone that would recommend me. Plus, also in order for someone to recommend you, they'll need to know the people they were recommending you too! I know "how" Linked In works, but you have to come from somewhere where people "know you first"! I worked in one person offices before, not by choice, but that doesn't help with Linked In. For me its "been there done that" type situation as far as Linked In is concerned.

Its not that I don't take the advice, is that I have to apply it to my reality, and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

On the other hand I think it is common sense to reply to someone back. Now more than ever, we have email and so no trees need to die for a reply! But is it the POLITE thing to do. Just like you send out a thank you card after an interview. Same courtesy.

Quote:

Old 10-25-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I don't think you can judge me not knowing what I do or don't do about my job search!

It seems very easy for you to speak without knowing all the facts! I would need to hire a baby sitter in order to attend hour long events, how should I pay for that without an income? not everyone has the luxury to hop these events. I just missed one this weekend because 2 of my kids developed fever!

As far as Linked In is concerned, you have to be recommended in order to meet anyone. I "used" to have an account long ago, around 2004, and I belonged to some groups related to my field, but I couldn't get in touch with anyone because someone else had to recommend me; and since I didn work with anyone or at one of these larger companies, I never had anyone that would recommend me. Plus, also in order for someone to recommend you, they'll need to know the people they were recommending you too! I know "how" Linked In works, but you have to come from somewhere where people "know you first"! I worked in one person offices before, not by choice, but that doesn't help with Linked In. For me its "been there done that" type situation as far as Linked In is concerned.

Its not that I don't take the advice, is that I have to apply it to my reality, and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

On the other hand I think it is common sense to reply to someone back. Now more than ever, we have email and so no trees need to die for a reply! But is it the POLITE thing to do. Just like you send out a thank you card after an interview. Same courtesy.
You're right. I can only judge you by what you've posted on here. And from what you have posted on here, it seems that your job search is limited to online applications, and accusations of discrimination.

If you were to actually get out and network, LinkedIn would be a very valuable way to keep in touch with people you network with. Recommendations and introductions aren't everything. I have never used LinkedIn for either.

Doing what you need to do to find a job isn't a "luxury". What do you do with your time during the day? There are many breakfast and lunch meetings and networking events. You have school age children, correct? And as for evening events- what about your husband? (I believe you're married). Why can't he keep an eye on the kids while you go out and meet people? Surely he wants you to find a job as well.

This isn't person-specific advice. This applies to everyone's reality, whether you like it or not. This is the reality of the business world today. And you refuse to apply it to your reality.

Every time someone on this board says something you don't like, you say it doesn't apply to you. Maybe it does. And maybe that's why you're not finding a job.

Obviously things aren't working out well for you in the job search. You can either do something positive to change that, or you can sit around and whine that the world is out to get you and discriminate against you and that there's absolutely nothing you can do to change your job search.

This is my last post in this thread, because there is nothing more I can say. Every suggestion is met with a response of I can't do that or that doesn't work for me. You are not a special snowflake. You are not the only person in your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh