Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:38 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
More like one of the worst on-ramps in the COUNTRY. Just ridiculous. I'm honestly shocked there's not twisted metal and death daily at this location.

Parkway East On-ramp at Squirrel Hill - YouTube
I think the only reason is most locals are aware of how screwed up that ramp is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
The topography in the Burgh is not very engineer friendly and sometimes I wonder why they selected that particular area to locate an on ramp to a major hi way. You really have to become familar with the ramps that you use on a regular basis, some are short some are long depending on design for that particular areas topography. I always drive slower on the shorter ramps so I more time to view the oncoming traffic that I will be merging into so I don't have to stop, this allows me more time to yield. If you drive slower, you are extending the length of the ramp in a way. It really helps.
I do not understand why I, of all posters who agree with the OP on this stopping on the ramps issue, have been selected to get little driving lectures from you Pittsburghers. Believe it or not, I know all the above. My kids would probably tell you I'm a very wussy driver. I'm no speed demon bat-out-of-h*** driver!

Old 11-15-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I do not understand why I, of all posters who agree with the OP on this stopping on the ramps issue, have been selected to get little driving lectures from you Pittsburghers. Believe it or not, I know all the above. My kids would probably tell you I'm a very wussy driver. I'm no speed demon bat-out-of-h*** driver!
Didn't mean for this to come off as a lecture, sorry if it did. I was just explaining how I handle the ramp situation.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Didn't mean for this to come off as a lecture, sorry if it did. I was just explaining how I handle the ramp situation.
Sorry if I jumped your case.

I do feel stopping at the end of a ramp, if not due to a stop sign or a light, is dangerous. As someone else said, usually the lights are situated such that you have a little space to get somewhat up to speed or at least accelerate from zero mph before entering the highway.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:16 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
Vincent's Pizza - Forest Hills

Della Salas - Penn Hills

Old 11-15-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sorry if I jumped your case.

I do feel stopping at the end of a ramp, if not due to a stop sign or a light, is dangerous. As someone else said, usually the lights are situated such that you have a little space to get somewhat up to speed or at least accelerate from zero mph before entering the highway.
With the exception of the Squirrel hill on ramp, most ramps have enough room to at least creep along until you get a break.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:41 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
Many onramps in Southern California at least have lights on the onramps thus explicitly stating that you must stop before merging and whenever I was out there people stopped at them.
Here in SD county, they only turn the lights on during rush hour. You're on your own any other time of day.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:29 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,349,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Here in SD county, they only turn the lights on during rush hour. You're on your own any other time of day.
That might be the case in Los Angeles too then. I remember that I was surprised to see them out there, but for the most part I felt that their drivers handled freeway driving way better than Pittsburghers do (same for many cities with the exception of Philly where it has taken me on many occasions 2 hours to get from Center City of King of Prussia)

Old 11-15-2011, 07:36 PM

632 posts, read 1,071,258 times
Digressing from the driving issue - another thing that I've noticed, but finally clicked in my head today.

Everytime I tell someone where I live, I'll say "near the Southside Works". The first thing most people say in response is "Oh you're near The Cheesecake Factory"! I'm not exagerating...this probably happens 60-70% of the time when I explain my location to most people.

Is there some twisted obsession with this? Or perhaps everyone here watches too much Big Bang Theory?

Old 11-15-2011, 07:49 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
Everytime I tell someone where I live, I'll say "near the Southside Works". The first thing most people say in response is "Oh you're near The Cheesecake Factory"! I'm not exagerating...this probably happens 60-70% of the time when I explain my location to most people.

The Cheesecake Factory building is pretty distinctive in Southside, so it does make for a good landmark to describe where you're at.

And 40 years from now, after its been razed to the ground, people will say "Oh you're near where the The Cheesecake Factory used to be" when you describe your location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh