Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:51 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,762,751 times

Advertisements

No other metropolitan area with 100,000+ foreign-born residents is even close. San Jose has the second-highest percentage, but they're at 46.5%. The lowest is Riverside/San Bernadino, with a mere 16.3%. Of course, California's "Inland Empire" is a serious laggard in educational attainment in spite of its explosive population growth between 2000 and 2010. I guess quantity matters more to them than quality.

By the way, Chris Briem illustrates the chart above with a graph:

Ladies and gentlemen, that's called a blowout. Information like this seriously makes me LOL when I think about all the fools 10 years ago who said that anybody who's smart and/or ambitious leaves Pittsburgh the first chance they get. Looks like those people just got PWNT (again) by the 2010 Census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 06:05 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,160,183 times
One interesting thing I noticed: A lot of the cities with the most educated immigrants are Northeastern or Rust Belt cities besides San Jose while the ones with the least educated immigrants are all Sun Belt cities. Another thing that shows quality is better than quantity as Gnutella said.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:31 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Cmu

Old 11-18-2011, 09:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
I always said most of our immigrants were educated.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:48 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,830,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
One interesting thing I noticed: A lot of the cities with the most educated immigrants are Northeastern or Rust Belt cities besides San Jose while the ones with the least educated immigrants are all Sun Belt cities. Another thing that shows quality is better than quantity as Gnutella said.
it has nothing to do with quality over quantity or any sort of choice. think about what the major industry in the "inland empire is."
and let's be honest, education really has nothing to do with quality unless you're some kind of elitist. how is sandusky better than a dishwasher?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it has nothing to do with quality over quantity or any sort of choice. think about what the major industry in the "inland empire is."
and let's be honest, education really has nothing to do with quality unless you're some kind of elitist. how is sandusky better than a dishwasher?
And the Inland Enmpire is a complete dump right now economically many would say. It also is a fact that higher educated people tend to be better off economically and are involved in less crime. Why are you bringing Sandusky into this anyway? That had nothing to do with education at all but corruption and the "good ole boys network".

Old 11-18-2011, 09:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
No other metropolitan area with 100,000+ foreign-born residents is even close. San Jose has the second-highest percentage, but they're at 46.5%. The lowest is Riverside/San Bernadino, with a mere 16.3%. Of course, California's "Inland Empire" is a serious laggard in educational attainment in spite of its explosive population growth between 2000 and 2010. I guess quantity matters more to them than quality.
Do you suppose Riverside/San Bernadino is actively recruiting foreign-born people who do not have college degrees? Also, the 53.8% is the # of foreign born adults over 25 with any bachelor's degree, not science and engineering degrees, according to the article.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-18-2011 at 10:08 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 09:59 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
I was also a bit offended by the "quality" remark, as if to imply that an Indian immigrant moving to Mt. Lebanon with a Master's Degree in Applied Mathematics and a job offer in Oakland is somehow "better" than a Cambodian immigrant with only a high school diploma moving to Garfield with dreams of opening his own landscaping business or restaurant. Want to see an area where nearly every adult has at least a Bachelor's Degree? Look at NoVA. Do you really want Allegheny County to emulate Fairfax County? Do you really want $500,000 to be a "typical" housing price instead of the price of an executive-level home? Do you really want to have to sit in traffic just to go to the grocery store on a Sunday?

I have a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Accounting. You know how I apply it? I deliver food. I work amongst many great, kind, and industrious souls who do not have a degree. My partner, who has degrees in Mathematics and Statistics, also works mainly amongst colleagues who have only high school diplomas. He and I both share a preference, believe it or not, to be around people who are NOT educated because we tire of the emphasis so many of our college-educated peers place upon status, image, and "stuff". Our co-workers value us for our work ethics, personalities, and camaraderie. I was making more money in Fairfax County, but I was working amongst people who (with few exceptions) didn't even bat an eye when I sent my good-bye e-mail the afternoon I left the office (and state) for the last time. I'd take an "undereducated" yet kind soul anyday as a friend over an educated yet arrogant individual.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:04 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,830,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
And the Inland Enmpire is a complete dump right now economically many would say. It also is a fact that higher educated people tend to be better off economically and are involved in less crime. Why are you bringing Sandusky into this anyway? That had nothing to do with education at all.
education has nothing to do with people being quality or not quality, unless you're some kind of elitist...you keep associating education with quality...why is that?
so what if people with education are better off economically? is it not also a fact that people who are better off economically also have a better chance at education? I'm not sure about crime, as people with degrees are constantly robbing us blind in washington and wall st but I guess that's okay, they're educated!
sandusky was educated, his associates and friends were educated, yet they were low quality to say the least

Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
education has nothing to do with people being quality or not quality, unless you're some kind of elitist...you keep associating education with quality...why is that?
so what if people with education are better off economically? is it not also a fact that people who are better off economically also have a better chance at education? I'm not sure about crime, as people with degrees are constantly robbing us blind in washington and wall st but I guess that's okay, they're educated!
sandusky was educated, his associates and friends were educated, yet they were low quality to say the least
Again why are you bringing up Penn state or Wall Street? This has nothing to do with Penn State and it's not like people in Washington or Wall St. are putting a gun to our face or assaulting us though they are awful. It means a lot if people are better off economically because they can stimulate the economy more if they have a job and are less likely to be involved in a "shady crowd". I wasn't that high off economically and managed to afford my college tuition. It's no secret that places with more educated people are better places to live and raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh