Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 08:38 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure if I should post this on the Pittsburgh or general Pennsylvania board. Anyway, enjoy!

Waynesburg is located in the rural southwest corner of Pennsylvania, about one hour from Pittsburgh. It is a pleasant small town and is home to Waynesburg University. The built environment resembles some of the small towns in central and eastern Pennsylvania. There is a good collection of mid 19th century architecture here.

These are pretty old.

Old, old, old building!

I love seeing Victorians that haven't been botched with aluminum or vinyl siding. Paint it!

Very old buildings! Federal?

Built 1907.

This one looks REALLY old!

I felt like Scarlett O'Hara at Tara.

Another oldie.

"Fort Jackson Hotel" - cool vintage hotel building

Fantastic old theater

These are pretty old.

Even faded paint looks better than vinyl on a Victorian!

Tranquil little city park

Some lovely homes near the park

Waynesburg University

Hanna Hall (1850)

I've been accused of only photographing historic buildings. Here is some modern architecture for you.

I would live in this house.

I would live in this one, too!

Or this one!

Gothic Revival? I'm still learning my architecture styles.

Ah - the way a Victorian is supposed to look.

Greene County's first Courthouse (1796)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
Wonderful job capturing the essence of the town. Keep up the great work

Old 08-23-2012, 11:10 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,377 times
Great job capturing the incredible historic built environment of Waynesburg! I was just through there last weekend. And I agree... it is somewhat of a conundrum where to post there... it's technically not within the Pittsburgh Metro... but it's pretty close... and locked into that southwestern corner, it makes sense to post it here instead of the lightly-used Pennsylvania forum.

Waynesburg is like a trip back in time... but it sure could use a huge infusion of cash to shore up its gently decaying historic inventory. It doesn't help that Greene Co. has such poor demographics.

One thing I hate about Waynesburg that really detracts from its charm... is the two major east-west streets are multi-lane one-ways... which promotes high-speed motoring through what should be a pleasant historic district.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
One thing I hate about Waynesburg that really detracts from its charm... is the two major east-west streets are multi-lane one-ways... which promotes high-speed motoring through what should be a pleasant historic district.
I totally agree. While I was trying to get pictures, cars clipped past me at alarming speeds.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:59 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Very cool, but someone needs to get down that ivy.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:17 PM

418 posts, read 1,089,702 times
Great coverage, post card beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:33 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,345 times
I used to live in (off North Richhill St.) Waynesburg and I know exactly where the majority of those pictures were taken. Great job! It's a quiet area. Many people commuted to either Washington or Morgantown for work. I loved my time at Waynesburg College (now Waynesburg University) and worked at one of the hotels near I-79.

It should be noted that the borough of Waynesburg is less than one square mile and has about 4,200 residents. It's pretty dense for a community in a rural county. What you see off I-79 is not Waynesburg. Waynesburg itself begins about two miles from the interstate.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:37 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Is this on your blog? Is there a link?

Old 08-24-2012, 11:22 AM

You can find all of my photo tours on my blog:

Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: Photo Tours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh