Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:49 PM

48 posts, read 199,445 times

Advertisements

Hi you all! I am starting a new thread. My first and only thread was titled, Relocating from Phila to Pgh.

We have zoned in on Mt. Lebo to live. We've made one visit so far to look for houses, to get a feel for what we'll receive for our dollar and to check out other towns like Upper St. Clair, Bethal Park and Peter's Township.

We are coming out again this coming weekend to get a feel for neighborhoods. So that when a house comes on the market we can say nay or yah based on the area and have our realtor check it out for us while still in Phila.

In our first house hunting weekend here's what we found... making plaster walls look like stucco is a trend that shouldn't have never caught on... claiming a 8X10 as a third bedroom is crazy!... taxes are HIGH and pretty much the amount of a great car payment... why is walking to town to buy a gallon a milk such a big deal... galley kitchens are definitely the norm along with big decks...

The area around Howe Elementary we didn't like along with the neighborhood by Scott Road. Nice houses but could see the potential for rift raft. We liked the neighborhood around Hoover school. I have read about Virginia Manor area and those houses are out of our price range.

Are there neighborhoods/elementary school areas that you would suggest within Mt. Lebo?

We are looking for resale value since we only plan to be in the house for 5 years.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 10:32 PM

92 posts, read 92,409 times
My 2 cents for what little it's worth......I spent 40 of my 47 years in the Phila suburbs and 5 of the last 7 in Boston.

My poor realtor experience last weekend after driving out from Boston included the realtor helping me to find a rental for my first 12 months. It would have been better if she was simply honest with me and said she was going to put next to 0 real effort into it before I drove out. I had offered her a fee weeks earlier that she refused, if she was willing to help I wanted to pay her. In the end the effort put forth was equal to the non fee and an entire day wasted.

We were driving through Dormont where the few spots she actually located were and through Mt. Leb. She informed me that Mt. Lebo was "the zip code that everyone sought". At this I hiddenly rolled my eyes and explained neutrally to her that - "that was of NO consequesnce to me". I never went for that attitude and won't miss it here in Boston either. At that I saw her purse her lips. The other thing I noticed is that I didn't see what all the fuss was about anyway? Maybe I just missed it. The places in Dormont I was shown were too outdated and too small to even get my furniture into.

Fine for some with different tastes no doubt just not my "cup of tea"?

I'm not trying to offend anyone with this post, it's just that I spent weeks talking with her over the phone and I had limited time to be there. She wasted day one with places that were not working and cancelled day two. From this you might assume I was short with her, I was not I assure you. I was told I was picky.......I didn't like that there was a close to two inch gap between the door and doorjambs in some of the interior doors and the 20 coats of paint - she called it "character", I called it something else........and I was told that maybe I sold buy different furniture? She did mention something about a medication she was taking.

Last edited by Ken_B.; 09-23-2007 at 11:00 PM..

Old 09-24-2007, 04:53 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Oh, Ken. I'm so sorry to hear your experience. I couldn't help but laugh at the way you presented your story though.

I'm sorry she wasted your time. Realtors will only take you to places that are managed by their agency. There are many privately managed rentals throughout Pittsburgh. You'll do much better finding a place on your own.

Just so you know, it's best to look for a place a month prior to moving. Most rentals in Pittsburgh are advertised as available only 30 days prior (because tenants are generally only required to give 30 days notice). On occassion, you'll find rentals advertised 60 days in advance.

I know it feels like waiting until the last minute, but you're really wasting your time if you look too soon. The only places that might know ahead of time about upcoming vacancies will be large apartment complexes. From your posts, I got the impression you where hoping for a house or townhouse.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:07 AM

206 posts, read 688,464 times
I would have been super pissed, too.

What kind of place are you looking for? Something modern in a big building? Townhouse? Single-family house? What kind of location? Give us a little more info and I bet someone here will have some ideas.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:30 AM

Well since returning back last week my transfer date has been changed to Jan 1. So I have more time.

The Dormont / Mt. Lebo area looks a little dated for me personally. I am div/no children. I'd like a townhome or ranch if possible. But a good sized 2 or 3 bedroom will do if I can't find the other for 800 or less? I am just discovering what that amount can get me.

I have lived in high rises for 20 years now and wasn't expecting to find that. The realtor kept telling me, after getting to know me a bit?, I could rent for 600. I had NO IDEA what 600 would rent me? I said I'm open to look at anything REASONABLE. After 3 places she showed me I asked if we could look at some of the $800 places, she had no more to show because she said no one would return her calls (that I am now guessing were made the day before I met her). Weeks of prep. Yipes.

I was thinking south because of the T but since hearing the opinions on this board and finding reasonable parking at the Mellon arena - I'd prefer to drive and that sounds like the north is the way to go. Any help is appreciated! And thanks Hopes for the heads up on those you told me about.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:54 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Have you looked at all in Mt. Washington or the newer lofts/apartments on the South Side?

Old 09-24-2007, 09:21 AM

206 posts, read 688,464 times
Here's a quick suggestion for you -- check out the properties managed by Walnut Capital: Walnut Capital - Pittsburgh's Best Properties -- they are a big local outfit that buys existing properties and fixes them up into rentals. A lot of the properties are historic or have that kind of character. They do a very nice job restoring things and I haven't heard any horror stories of renting with them. They have places both in the city and various suburbs. I don't think they have any properties in bad areas.

Also, I don't know if you're set on a suburb, but there are also some good new places downtown -- Gateway Center has apartments and the Cork Building Lofts (that might be pricey) come to mind. Downtown is safe -- kind of deserted at night and on Sunday, but nothing scary at all.

South Side is a good idea too -- the newest places are probably more than that, but that would be a handy place to live, and more fun for a single.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:35 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Walnut Capital is a good idea. Here's a terribly-designed site with some other new/remodeled city rentals: we do property - 412 434 7080 (broken link) I have a friend who lives in the Brake House in the Strip, and he loves it.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-24-2007 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 09-24-2007, 11:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Another downtown suggestion in the Pennsylvanian.

Welcome to The Pennsylvanian (http://www.thepennsylvanian.com/overview_index.htm - broken link)

I'm not sure if it falls within his price range though.

Here's a site that estimates the pricing the Pennsylvanian:

Pennsylvanian pricing report with rents reported by actual tenants. Other Pittsburgh apartments also reviewed at ApartmentRatings.com

Old 09-24-2007, 11:54 AM

I was trying to avoid the 3% city wage tax. I assume thats against your gross salary? Do many people disregard that lightly?

without getting too personal

1% = 637 for me or $53 a month
3% = .................$159 a month

a difference of 100 a month. At the same time my parking fee will be over $100.

Is it possible to live within walking distance to Mellon?

Part of my problem is that I am totally unfamiliar with public transportation. Never had to use it even here in Boston. If I can nix the parking the extra 2% wage tax is a wash.

Now I rethinking all over again. Ugggg. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh