Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:14 AM

22 posts, read 40,136 times

Advertisements

Thanks for everyone's help and advice on the commute from Mt. Lebo to Aspinwall. I actually tried the commute today in morning rush hour traffic and I literally sat on Banksville Rd for 35 minutes before even getting to 376 to sit in the tunnel traffic. I'm assuming this was normal/typical Banksville traffic as I did not see any accidents. So with that knowledge and the fact that 28 will be undergoing construction beginning this spring, I declined the job in Aspinwall. When I did so...I was asked if a drive to the North Shore would make a difference, as they may have an opening in the DelMonte building for me.

This would cut out the entire Rte 28 commute...and I could probably deal with sitting on Banksville for 30 minutes if the DelMonte building was the farthest I'd have to go outside the Fort Pitt tunnel.

BUT...I'm betting that some of you know a better way than Banksville to the Fort Pitt Tunnel to the North Shore. What are the backroads? Is there a better way?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 10:23 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
I'm betting that some of you know a better way than Banksville to the Fort Pitt Tunnel to the North Shore. What are the backroads? Is there a better way?
A good way is to cut through Dormont/Beechview to Crane Ave, take that down to 51, where your options are to a) go through the Liberty Tunnel across the bridge to Crosstown Blvd, b) cut up and over Mt. Washington, avoiding the Liberty Tunnel but still making it to the Liberty Bridge, c) or taking 51 to the West End bridge.

You don't really want to go through the Ft. Pitt Tunnel at all during rush hour. I live in Beechview, and all the Google maps directions tell me that's the best way to go to work, but I only do Ft. Pitt late at night and on weekends. I did actually go that way yesterday because MLK day traffic was so light, but that's an exception.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:27 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,492 times
Oh man....coming anywhere south of the city to the north of the city is hell in the morning rush hour. Have you considered coming the backway into the South Side, cutting through the Hill District, going down through the Strip, and then crossing 16th street bridge? You won't hardly see any traffic that way.

P.S. You can get to Aspinwall by ways other than 28. You could try to squirt through East Liberty and Highland Park and then go over the Highland Park bridge. Also, 28 is usually packed southbound in the morning and northbound in the evening. You would be doing the exact opposite, so maybe it wouldn't be bad (but it probably still would be). However, I learned to avoid Route 28, downtown, and 376 from 6-8 AM and 4-6PM LOOOONNNGG ago.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You don't really want to go through the Ft. Pitt Tunnel at all during rush hour.
Haha, no ****. An elderly woman with a walker would get to work faster than an automobile-bound person sitting in Ft. Pitt tunnel traffic.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:32 AM

Oh, another possibility: Liberty tubes, down to Carson Street, over 10th street bridge, and past the arena. From there you can hit 28 directly or worm your way onto the North Shore.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
taking 51 to the West End bridge.
West End bridge is a friggin' nightmare to navigate...especially for a Pittsburgh novice. That big horseshoe multi-lane thing it has at the end where cars are darting in and out all over the place is enough to make most people's heads spin.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I don't understand why you would go through the Ft Pitt Tunnels when the Liberty Tubes are closer to Mt. Lebanon. Either way, you're going to have some backup at a tunnel. The only other way is through the West End but there is still a small 'tunnel' and it can get backed up. Plus that way has you commuting quite a distance (crossing over the Parkway West) to get to the West End. It only makes sense that you use the Liberty Tubes. The main problem is that you can't get off 579 in the Northside. You'll need to get off 579 at a downtown exit and cross through downtown across the 9th, 7th or 6th street bridges---whichever one you is most convenient to your job. If you go through the Liberty Tubes, there's just no reason to get off in Southside unless you want to go across the Smithfield Street Bridge and cut through downtown that way.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The main problem is that you can't get off 579 in the Northside. You'll need to get off 579 at a downtown exit and cross through downtown across the 9th, 7th or 6th street bridges---whichever one you is most convenient to your job.
The Del Monte plant is right next to 16th street bridge (I think). That's why I suggested cutting through South Side, going past the Arena, heading down into the Strip (through Polish Hill), and over the 16th.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:39 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
A good way is to cut through Dormont/Beechview to Crane Ave, take that down to 51, where your options are to a) go through the Liberty Tunnel across the bridge to Crosstown Blvd, b) cut up and over Mt. Washington, avoiding the Liberty Tunnel but still making it to the Liberty Bridge, c) or taking 51 to the West End bridge.

You don't really want to go through the Ft. Pitt Tunnel at all during rush hour. I live in Beechview, and all the Google maps directions tell me that's the best way to go to work, but I only do Ft. Pitt late at night and on weekends. I did actually go that way yesterday because MLK day traffic was so light, but that's an exception.
OK< that's it, quit giving away that short cut!!!

Old 01-19-2010, 11:21 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
The Del Monte plant is right next to 16th street bridge (I think). That's why I suggested cutting through South Side, going past the Arena, heading down into the Strip (through Polish Hill), and over the 16th.
No no no. Del Monte Building. This is right next to Heinz Field! I can see it from here! So to me the West End is the obvious choice. If you get on the Liberty Bridge you have to either go through downtown or, hm, go through downtown, LOL. Going through downtown at rush hour is not really the most advisable thing either.

I'm not hugely familiar with the roads, having driven it only a few times, but I think the Crane Ave route to 51 makes sense. Then you turn left and take 51 all the way through to the West End, go over the West End bridge, and take that first ramp that goes down onto Reedsdale St. Gotta be better than sitting in the Banksville traffic.

The sole other option that makes sense to me is to take the Liberty Tubes and go right at the end making your way to Carson St where you would make a left. But then I would still take the West End Bridge, not the Smithfield St.

If the OP got it wrong and it is the plant, maybe cutting through downtown would make more sense. But otherwise no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh