Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 12:59 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but any improvements should not matter since the assessments are supposed to reflect 2010 home values not current ones.
That's not correct. So my understanding of how it works is that your assessed value is calculated not based on what the value of your house was in the base year, but rather what the value of your house would have been in the base year, given it's current condition.

And that's the way it works for new construction. When using the 2002 base year system, if you built a house in 2008 valued at $100k, the assessed value would have been calculated by determining what the value of a similar new construction home was in 2002. You can't just rewind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 02:03 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but any improvements should not matter since the assessments are supposed to reflect 2010 home values not current ones.
Improvements are supposed to be assessed at their base-year value and added to the total assessment (edit: or what ML North said).

Old 01-04-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
But what strucks me is that they can't do this all of a sudden. Why not have people do the reassesments pretty much like they did the census - have someone go in every person's house and assess correctly - and then slowly increase the tax, like landlord increase the rent or something.
The reason they don't do a comprehensive assessment of every property is that would be really expensive.

The reason they are doing it all at once is that this is all happening because of a court case in which it was held that certain property owners' state-constitutional rights were being violated by going so long without a reassessment. Further delays in reassessing the properties would just be adding to those violations, since their taxes won't get to where they should be until everyone gets reassessed and the millages are adjusted accordingly.

Thus the only way to prevent this from happening again, barring a change in the state constitution, is to start reassessing more frequently, such that the changes can be more gradual.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 AM

Looks like a lot of big assessment increases for Downtown properties as well:

Commercial properties also hit hard by latest assessments

We don't have a total for the City's commercial properties yet, but if they increased at more than 46%, then the residential owners should collectively get a tax break when the millages are reset.

A little reminder of how important the Downtown properties are to the overall property tax picture in the City:

Old 01-05-2012, 08:12 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Looks like a lot of big assessment increases for Downtown properties as well
Wow, I just looked at the building I was thinking of buying. Assessed value more than tripled. I am not a buyer anymore. They lost me.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 AM

Briem also takes a first cut at figuring out how many properties in the City are due for a tax cut as a result of the reassessment, and gets about 60%. This is before the commercial properties get factored in, which could move the line either way, but generally that makes sense given the asymmetric distribution of property values:

Nullspace: Anger, Angst, Assessments

Old 01-05-2012, 08:18 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
I believe the assessed value of our office condo space here downtown has nearly tripled according to the bill in the mail. The owner mentioned it yesterday. I don't believe it is really correct though. Don't think we could sell it for anywhere near that.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Wow, I just looked at the building I was thinking of buying. Assessed value more than tripled. I am not a buyer anymore. They lost me.

Ok, what is the asking price of the building? What is the assessed value of the building. We want to know how accurate the assessed value is?

Since you bailed on the sale, maybe post the address.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:20 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Ok, what is the asking price of the building? What is the assessed value of the building. We want to know how accurate the assessed value is?

Since you bailed on the sale, maybe post the address.
The total cost of the package is $160,000. That includes a business that is probably worth $70K at present. The old assessed value was around $65K, the new value is $170K, so it about tripled. I might post what it is later, but not yet. I am still kicking it around, but now it is very unlikely. I am going to call the person handling the property and tell him about the assessment change. The tax load will be a big problem for the current owner. The value in this investment would be more "potential" since the business wasn't run very well in the past. I still believe in the investment, but that tax load is scary.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:36 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Briem also takes a first cut at figuring out how many properties in the City are due for a tax cut as a result of the reassessment, and gets about 60%. This is before the commercial properties get factored in, which could move the line either way, but generally that makes sense given the asymmetric distribution of property values:

Nullspace: Anger, Angst, Assessments
This is really excellent work, and the article is probably the best explanation of the reassessment and its implications that I've seen.

Anyway, maybe I'm just not really thinking about this, but what conclusions, if any, can be drawn from the asymmetric tails?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh