Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I still don't follow your logic. If someone has been paying $1500 a year on a house that is worth $200k and now they have to pay $4500 I'm not going to shed a tear for them. Everyone else had been paying the full rate for the past decade, why should certain people continue to skate by? Now if they soundly appraise a run down shack in a bad neighborhood at $500k then I can see the complaint. People still have no idea what their taxes will be until the new millage is released, so for now it is all speculation.
Here is some logic for you. The model for the 22 million dollar or whatever it cost the tax payer reassessment, is a joke. How can they do an assessment not considering current sales compatibles? They can't. That is why the whole thing is one big waste of taxpayer money. It is totally inaccurate. What until all the court costs start costing the tax payer more money. Was all this actually worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 09:13 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
How can they do an assessment not considering current sales compatibles? They can't.
And for the millionth time, they didn't.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:19 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
They used comparable sales in the computer model. What the socalled news stations are reporting are the glitches.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:20 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Here is some logic for you. The model for the 22 million dollar or whatever it cost the tax payer reassessment, is a joke. How can they do an assessment not considering current sales compatibles? They can't. That is why the whole thing is one big waste of taxpayer money. It is totally inaccurate. What until all the court costs start costing the tax payer more money. Was all this actually worth it?
I think the following charts, from Nullspace, indicate that the reassessment was very accurate for homes >$200k, and better than the 2002 values for those on the lower end. And of course the appeal process should help to improve the accuracy for assessments <$200k.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:30 AM

Note that if anything, it looks like the erred on the low side with the $200K+ assessments.

Incidentally, I bet with some additional analysis of Briem's dataset, you could make a decent guesstimate of exactly how much risk there is that if the PPS sets its millage now, it will face a serious shortfall following appeals. And just eyeballing it, and understanding that the revenues collected are a function of property value as well--I'd say that risk is pretty low. In fact if you considered possible offsetting appeals by the PPS as well, I'd say there is virtually no risk at all.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:51 AM

Yet another invaluable contribution from Briem:

Nullspace: Like the square root of negative one

Map of properties looking at a 10% or more tax increase:

Map of properties looking at a 10% or more tax decrease:

Old 01-11-2012, 10:11 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
I'm so damn confused at this point, it's impossible to keep track. Anyone care to summarize?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I'm so damn confused at this point, it's impossible to keep track. Anyone care to summarize?
Sure:

(1) In the City, the residential total appreciated pretty well, the commercial total appreciated even better, which means approximately 65% of residential owners in the City are actually looking at a tax cut whenever the new numbers get used, whereas the offsetting tax increases will be mostly concentrated among the commercial properties and in a few gentrifying neighborhoods (I expect an overall similar pattern countywide, but that remains to be seen);

(2) Although there were certainly some errors, even before the appeals process the new numbers look a lot more accurate overall than the old numbers;

(3) In an effort to stop this process, Fitzgerald announced that the County was taking back the new numbers and cancelling the appeals;

(4) The court has ordered that as of now, municipalities and school districts cannot use the old numbers for their 2012 tax bills;

(5) The court has also ordered lower-level County officials to continue with the reassessment process as previously scheduled by the court, or face contempt charges (meaning fines and possibly imprisonment) themselves;

(6) On Thursday, the court will decide if the alleged uncertainty about millages and actual revenues arising from the possible outcomes of the appeals process is a sufficient ground to let the Pittsburgh Public Schools hold off using the new numbers until next year.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:24 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Hard to summarize a mess.

Again, my old rental is assessed way lower than my old neighbor's home, which was about double. It should be the other way around. That is not some chart or silly statistic. That is a hard fact. The commercial building I am looking at, or was, is going to be way over assessed. Yet another hard fact and not some graph. These are buildings I know first hand and know them well. I also have over 20 years real estate experience. Sure, you armchair quarterbacks can say all you like to defend our county as people are leaving to greener pastures, but I know real life situations that are obviously out of whack and I am not alone. The millions and millions spent and the millions to defend those millions are a mess. Therefore, you can't summarize this disaster.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:27 AM

(7) A few people and a regrettable portion of the media are continuing to insist we should focus on anecdotes (many of which, it turns out, are based on faulty math).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh