Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:05 PM

322 posts, read 1,103,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturdayskids View Post
Are you going to listen to a guy named "FresnoFacts"?

Didn't think so

well seeing as I do nothing but write about how much i HATE FRESNO On this forum....lol...

I don't think im gonna agree with someone who has a positive spin on the city of Fresno...lol

Nothing against "Fresno Facts" i just don't agree with what he's saying

I guess the Only way to see how it's really like in Pittsburgh is to experience it first hand........which i am about to do...lol

Thanks Guys...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 06:38 AM

374 posts, read 1,285,356 times
To the thread starter.... Yes, There are bad areas in the Homewood area. You've probable heard about the race street madness and everthing. I could tell you this rewind Homewood back to the 90's and compare it now. Down around the Hamilton Area and Back toward Finance St. They're currently erecting new homes around the East Bus way. Honestly.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:27 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturdayskids View Post
Are you going to listen to a guy named "FresnoFacts"?

Didn't think so
LOL, Facts are facts, its what I do all day, it doesn't matter where I live.

I'm not saying Pittsburgh or the surrounding area is bad, but I am simply pointing out that based on numbers the city of Fresno has less crime than the city of Pittsburgh. I know that Djames9 like many people feels that Fresno is horrible for crime but the facts are different.

So lets see. We can start with murder rates:
  • Pittsburgh (population roughly 311,000 within the actual city limits) - 53 murders in 2007.
  • Fresno (population roughly 470,000 in the city limits) 53 murders in 2007.
So both had the same number but Fresno has more people so Pittsburgh has more murders per capita.

So far in 2008:
  • Pittsburgh has had 58 murders
  • Fresno 36.
Overall crime rates using city-data.com's info for 2007
  • Pittsburgh - 558.3
  • Fresno - 421.6
So again Fresno is lower.
//www.city-data.com/city/Fresno-California.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Pittsb...nsylvania.html

And if you want someone else's opinion, cqpress.com says that in 2007 Pittsburgh was the 67th most dangerous city in the US while Fresno was the 110th most dangerous.
http://www.cqpress.com/docs/City%204...gerous_14E.pdf

Now that does not mean all areas are bad in Pittsburgh or Fresno, crime can be located in only a few parts of a city.

And I am only talking about the areas within the actual city limits, not areas in suburbs or other jurisdictions. I've been all over the greater Pittsburgh area and there are nice areas just like there are around Fresno.

But within the city limits of Fresno is a lower crime area than within the city limits of Pittsburgh. The facts are the facts.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:56 PM

119 posts, read 460,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
But within the city limits of Fresno is a lower crime area than within the city limits of Pittsburgh. The facts are the facts.
While Fresno's crime rates per 100,000 are indeed lower than the city of Pittsburgh, one must always recognize that Pittsburgh, like many other older eastern and midwestern cities, is severely underbounded. When only 311,000 out of 2,350,000 people in the metro region are living within the city limits of Pittsburgh, the reality is that most all of the more affluent, lower crime areas lie outside the city limits, and the majority of less affluent, higher crime areas lie within the bounds of the city. If the city limits of Fresno were in similar fashion reduced to include only 150,000 residents out of the metro population of just over 1 million (rather than the current 470,000 out of 1,000,000), its a safe bet that the crime rates for a Fresno with 320,000 less residents would be significantly higher than the present rates.

Last edited by vtPGH; 11-04-2008 at 02:05 PM..

Old 11-04-2008, 04:34 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times
San Francisco is small compared to its metro area but is still a larger population within the city proper than Fresno. And, the city of San Francisco has very high demographics due to the high cost of living, the median SF house price is $730,000.

But the city of San Francisco actually has a higher per capita crime rate than the city of Fresno.

SF just hit 100 murders for 2008 out of a population of 765,000. Compare that to Fresno with 36 this year out of 470,000 people.

The high crime of San Francisco is limited mainly to the southeastern sections of the city proper but what happens there is so high that the per capita in the city of SF becomes higher than Fresno.

In Fresno there are large swaths of the most affluent areas (such as Fig Garden) that are actually county islands patrolled by the sheriff not the PD. So the low crime rates in those areas are not included in the city figures even though the city completely surrounds them.

And of course in Fresno there are bad areas where you need to be careful.

I'm not looking to argue about one city being better than another. There are many objective and subjective things that enter into the reasons people like or don't like an area.

But when someone says that Fresno is "crime-ridden" and "full" of gangs. Well I feel the need to point out that perception and media-reporting is not reality.

Fresno compares comparably with other cities that are considered "safer". For example, the cqpress link above ranks Fresno between Salt Lake City and Seattle in terms of crime.

There are areas in every city and metropolitan area that are crime troubled. But that shouldn't cause an entire city to labeled.

And yes I've done business trips to both downtown Pittsburgh (heck I'm an outsider who can even spell it right ) as well as outlying areas like Washington. I've even spent trips across the state line staying in Youngstown, Canton, etc. I like the area, I'm not one who will say bad things about it.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:26 PM

5 posts, read 17,496 times
i have never heard anything good about homewood, not even from the people who live there.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:22 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,953 times
Mermaid You and I have something in common. Look at my post on safe neighborhoods. I love to wander around the so called dangerous areas. I walked all over Hazelwood and even when people came up and asked me "What are you looking for?" etc I would just point to the building and ask all the questions I could - lots of fun.

Buffalo has the cheapest and best buildings but Pittsburgh is great also.

Having said all this I think Homewood is the ONLY neighborhood I wouldn't live in. Its just too far gone and the drug problem which is also the heart of the crime problem, is serious. I can walk around any neighborhood and race isn't important but hard drug addiction is. I used to be an elected District Atty - trust me on that.

Are you looking to buy? There are bargains with great architecture in some of the poorer neighborhoods and I can send you photos.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,312 times
Default hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think it's truly dangerous. It's right in the middle of Brushton. Goodness, it's not even on the outskirts.

I don't know the percentage. I just know that Pimps will tell you that you'd be crazy to move into Homewood.

Hey,

aint nothing crazy about that neighborhood it just you have to be careful were you move to honey i from born and rais in pittsburgh honey just becarful who you saty around it's not the commuity it the people that live there. let me be ownest with you its a lot of crime thief breaking in so becareful. dont trust nobody.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,312 times
Default hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Mermaid You and I have something in common. Look at my post on safe neighborhoods. I love to wander around the so called dangerous areas. I walked all over Hazelwood and even when people came up and asked me "What are you looking for?" etc I would just point to the building and ask all the questions I could - lots of fun.

Buffalo has the cheapest and best buildings but Pittsburgh is great also.

Having said all this I think Homewood is the ONLY neighborhood I wouldn't live in. Its just too far gone and the drug problem which is also the heart of the crime problem, is serious. I can walk around any neighborhood and race isn't important but hard drug addiction is. I used to be an elected District Atty - trust me on that.

Are you looking to buy? There are bargains with great architecture in some of the poorer neighborhoods and I can send you photos.

hello,

I from there so be careful what you say some houses in homewood is not poored baby dont judge a book by its cover all are are bad its just the people that live in the neighbor hood watch what you say online forreal. to ownest homewood and other parts in pittsburgh is not a good area its not just homewood ok honey before you go to far hazelwood is not all that good i know a couple people who got murder in that area so get you story correct and don't lie because my mother grow up there even in north view height the projects ok?

Old 02-03-2009, 03:02 PM

727 posts, read 1,891,564 times
I lived in homewood back in the 90's and had not one incident. I stayed to myself and was friendly and the most I'd get was evil looks....thats about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh