Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 07:24 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times

Advertisements

Hello, Burghers. I'm returning to our fine city for the long weekend (arriving Friday night, leaving Monday morning). I plan on visiting the Swissvale house of oddities (hope I can get an appointment!) but besides that/catching up with friends, I don't have much else planned as of yet. I haven't been back since July, so I was wondering if there were any new shops/restaurants/attractions I should check out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 08:53 AM

440 posts, read 549,681 times
What type of food are you looking for? Where are you staying? Pittsburgh has had some amazing food options open in last 5 years...

Old 01-11-2012, 09:04 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,915 times
I would head to Market Square. It has changed significantly, even just over the past 2 years. Tons of places to eat.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:16 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Hello, Burghers. I'm returning to our fine city for the long weekend (arriving Friday night, leaving Monday morning). I plan on visiting the Swissvale house of oddities (hope I can get an appointment!) but besides that/catching up with friends, I don't have much else planned as of yet. I haven't been back since July, so I was wondering if there were any new shops/restaurants/attractions I should check out.
I know you've mentioned before that you enjoy a good deli, so you should check out Szmidt's Old World Deli in Greenfield. It's not a kosher deli, I don't know if that's important to you or not, but it is excellent. Handmade pierogi, house brined corned beef, and homemade bread.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:34 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Szmidt's is really good, but be aware that they don't have seating, so it's take-out only.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:37 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Szmidt's is really good, but be aware that they don't have seating, so it's take-out only.
Ah good point. There are a few stools against the front window though, no?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:18 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
What type of food are you looking for? Where are you staying? Pittsburgh has had some amazing food options open in last 5 years...
Just to give some background, I graduated Pitt in 2011, so I know of most trendy places that opened up before May of last year.

I'll be staying in Oakland with friends. I'll also be driving in, so I don't mind taking a bit of a trek to get to somewhere really interesting. Last time I visited in July, my friends and I took a day trip to a swimming hole about 45 miles Southeast in Fayette County (Creek Falls). It was a bear to find, but worth the effort.

As for food, I like just about everything. Thanks for the deli suggestion, ML. Judging by the menu, it looks like Szmidt's has a bit of an identity crisis (are they German? Italian? Polish?), but the selection is intriguing enough that I'll definitely try and stop by.

So I'd love to hear about all the new places that are worth going to. And as always, I'm open to learning about "hidden gems" that may have slipped under my radar during my years in PGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh