Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Job in North Shore, best place to get apartment, young female new to area, easily accessible public transportation, South Side, Mount Washington, Oakland, Squirrel Hill

Old 09-05-2007, 06:35 AM

8 posts, read 37,294 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I figure if I need answers here is the place to come. I have a friend that may be getting a job on the North Shore (keeping fingers crossed) she will have to relocate to Pgh. so can anyone tell me where is the best place to get a small appt. for a young female new to the area. She would like to be close to the North Shore or at least somewhere so public transportation is easily accessed. It is pretty hard to get online and find something when you really do not know where areas are located. Any help, hints, tips would be greatly appreacted.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 10:46 AM

214 posts, read 242,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdivy View Post
Hi all, I figure if I need answers here is the place to come. I have a friend that may be getting a job on the North Shore (keeping fingers crossed) she will have to relocate to Pgh. so can anyone tell me where is the best place to get a small appt. for a young female new to the area. She would like to be close to the North Shore or at least somewhere so public transportation is easily accessed. It is pretty hard to get online and find something when you really do not know where areas are located. Any help, hints, tips would be greatly appreacted.
Thanks
The north shore will have tons of public transportation access to it. I moved back to Pittsburgh 4 months ago, and am living at my parents house right now (I am a loser, I know) to pay off debts. I too will be looking for an apartment in the city in two months. Some people on this forum will be able to help more then me. However, I grew up in the suburbs here, and if you are a single white female I would not want to live on the north side. The north side is the most iffy places in Pittsburgh. The Mexican War streets near the north shore are beautiful, but they are slowly coming around. There are still shootings there. It is slowly becoming young proffesional there. However, I would look into neighborhoods in the east or south side.

Pittsburgh is a small city in land area, so all the neighborhoods are very close to each other if you live in the cities borders. Cities out west and down south have like 200 or more square miles, Pittsburgh has 55. (explains why are population is smaller, but the city is more dense then most). You could live far in the east side but get to the north shore pretty simply with public transportation.

Anyways if she is young and female here are some neighborhoods with a good younger vibe, Friendship:near Shadyside the nice highscale part of town. Friendship is more affordable and nice also.
South Side:bars, college kids, happening, coffee shops, fun area. It is on the other side of downtown. You have to walk across one bridge, through downtown, and another bridge to the north shore. about 30 minute walk away.
Mount Washington: Above the south side. Affordable if you make more average money. Beautiful setting, good view, and you take a incline to get to the south side. Add another 10 minutes.
Oakland:Where all the colleges are at. Student area, cheap, lots to do.
Squirrel hill:Charming neighborhood, cool business district, fun.
There are also many more.

Also keep in mind that you don't have to travel far before getting out of the borders of Pittsburgh. Meaning there are small town in quick driving distance to the north shore that are considered suburbs.

Last edited by RowJimmy; 09-05-2007 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-05-2007, 11:09 AM

119 posts, read 460,694 times
Being a young professional who lives in the War Streets, and really likes it there, I do still agree with RowJimmy's assessment of that neighborhood. It's probably not the best place for someone completely new to the city, who doesn't yet have their bearings straight. While I love how I can walk to and from work on the North Shore each day, you do have to factor in some basic precautions, like not walking around alone late at night.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:33 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,972,359 times
If she doesn't want to live on the North Side, many east end and south side neighborhoods are accessible to the North Side with just one bus route: the 54c - North Side-Oakland-South Side. It does not go downtown, but traverses from South Side through Oakland, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, Strip District and on to Allegheny Center.

If she's skittish about the Mexican War Streets, there is a nice apartment complex right on the Allegheny River on the North Side that is newer and filled with professional people. I forget what it's called. Also, the East Allegheny neighborhood south of East Ohio Street is nice (and a designated historic area), but I think it's mostly restored single-family homes now. Used to be a lot of boarding houses back in the day, but they're all gone now.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:14 PM

176 posts, read 767,891 times
right up the hill by penn brewery...cute little area called troy hill...very european look...yes it's part of the N.side...yet due to it's location...very safe...rents are very inexpensive in this area...

Only two areas of the n.side are safe to walk at night....#1 Brighton Heights #2 Troy Hill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh