Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:12 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
My only "con" to skiing at Seven Springs are the immense crowds, which if that doesnt bother you, fire away
That is a definite factor to skiing at 7 Springs. Haven't been to Hidden Valley in forever as it was on a steady decline for years and everyone seemed to abandon the place, but it has new ownership and has made a turn around in the past few years. Not sure what the quality of everything would be like there, but it would almost definitely not have the crowds that 7 Springs does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 07:36 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
My only "con" to skiing at Seven Springs are the immense crowds, which if that doesnt bother you, fire away
I have been there on every day of the week and agree that the weekends are quite busy. Sunday afternoon is probably the best weekend time or evening hours, but weather dictates. Weekdays are a dream and if you can pull off a weekday it is very good. Of course we don't have a mountain like out west or up around VT or Whiteface, but for an hour away, it is the only game in town and we are lucky to have it. Lots of people from Cleveland and DC go there believe it or not, because there isn't anywhere in our region to ski.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:47 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Lots of people from Cleveland and DC go there believe it or not, because there isn't anywhere in our region to ski.
Are there any good ski areas in West Virginia or Western Upstate New York? What about in NW PA?

Old 01-19-2012, 08:00 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Are there any good ski areas in West Virginia or Western Upstate New York? What about in NW PA?
The only competing ski place is Snowshoe. It is a lot further than 7 Springs from Pittsburgh and most don't feel it is worth it. Upstate NY isn't worth it unless you head way east. Whiteface Mt. has the most vertical in the East. Obviously places like Stowe and Killington are big time in the East, but keep in mind they are also close enough to VERY populated areas, so expect the crowds.

On the weekends at Seven Springs, I look at it differently since I am spoiled going on weekdays. I just ski a little less and drink a little more. It is one big party and one heck of a lot of fun! There is lots of fun for little kids there as well, so don't get the wrong impression. The original owners, the Dupre's really planned it well considering how small the mountain is. They made the most out of what we have in our region. We can't compare with the big boys, but it is an hour away from Pittsburgh and is an asset for those that like the outdoors. Could be much worse, we could be as far as DC or Cleveland.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:14 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Nothing much in NW PA and not much in western NY either I don't think. At least, nothing worth the longer drive. Just think of the way the major mountain ridge goes. The main track is to the northeast, so apart from a few outliers the majority of the significant peaks are in central PA and eastern NY, and then up through VT, NH and Maine (and south into WV). If you're going to really drive to something better up that way, you might as well push on and go to Vermont. Western Maine places like Sunday River are less crowded perhaps but even harder to get to. All the other places in central PA are much smaller than Seven Springs (although Blue Knob north of Bedford has a taller vertical), plus the further east you go the more they draw from DC. The only other really big mid-Atlanic resort is Snowshoe in WV as h_curtis said, and that takes several hours to get to. There is Wisp down in Maryland by Deep Creek Lake, that's not too much farther from here than Seven Springs, but it's still not as big either. That western tip of MD does get a lot of snow.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:02 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,713,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
The only competing ski place is Snowshoe. It is a lot further than 7 Springs from Pittsburgh and most don't feel it is worth it. Upstate NY isn't worth it unless you head way east. Whiteface Mt. has the most vertical in the East. Obviously places like Stowe and Killington are big time in the East, but keep in mind they are also close enough to VERY populated areas, so expect the crowds.

On the weekends at Seven Springs, I look at it differently since I am spoiled going on weekdays. I just ski a little less and drink a little more. It is one big party and one heck of a lot of fun! There is lots of fun for little kids there as well, so don't get the wrong impression. The original owners, the Dupre's really planned it well considering how small the mountain is. They made the most out of what we have in our region. We can't compare with the big boys, but it is an hour away from Pittsburgh and is an asset for those that like the outdoors. Could be much worse, we could be as far as DC or Cleveland.
You are indeed correct, the Dupre's did a great job with Seven Springs. My high school football team had summer camp at Laurel State Park, a few miles east of Seven Springs, and I still recall a scrimmage we had at Seven Springs in 1966. They were erecting the main lodge then; I had never heard of the place until that time.
I just hope that Nutting doesn't ruin Seven Springs, as he has the Pirates!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:08 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
I just hope that Nutting doesn't ruin Seven Springs, as he has the Pirates!
We all are watching closely. They did start charging $10 for parking on the upper lot on the weekends, but the season pass holders went nuts and they now let the season pass holders park there for free. If that stays that way, it could be actually a good thing for the season pass holder, but we shall see. Overall, I don't feel there is much difference in the Nuttings vs. Duprees, but it hasn't been all that long since the purchase. It saddened me when the Durpees left. They just seemed more like one of the crowed than a power family like the Nuttings that seem out of touch with the "little people".

Old 01-19-2012, 09:24 AM

264 posts, read 492,606 times
I prefer Wisp over Seven Springs. It takes about 2 hours from Pittsburgh to get there, and it's never quite as crowded as Seven Springs tends to get. It's not a huge resort, but they did recently expand and it's definitely respectable for an East Coast ski area. Not to mention there are many more dining and entertainment options around in case you are looking for something to do the times you aren't on the slopes.

If you're an experienced skier, I'd avoid Hidden Valley, Nemacolin, Boyce, and a few others as you aren't likely to be challenged by any of the runs there.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:28 PM

889 posts, read 2,575,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Nothing much in NW PA and not much in western NY either I don't think. At least, nothing worth the longer drive. Just think of the way the major mountain ridge goes. The main track is to the northeast, so apart from a few outliers the majority of the significant peaks are in central PA and eastern NY, and then up through VT, NH and Maine (and south into WV). If you're going to really drive to something better up that way, you might as well push on and go to Vermont. Western Maine places like Sunday River are less crowded perhaps but even harder to get to. All the other places in central PA are much smaller than Seven Springs (although Blue Knob north of Bedford has a taller vertical), plus the further east you go the more they draw from DC. The only other really big mid-Atlanic resort is Snowshoe in WV as h_curtis said, and that takes several hours to get to. There is Wisp down in Maryland by Deep Creek Lake, that's not too much farther from here than Seven Springs, but it's still not as big either. That western tip of MD does get a lot of snow.
Holiday Valley in Endicottville, NY is in the lake effect snow belt of western NY. It has a solid following of regulars that swear by it.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:05 PM

482 posts, read 1,234,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
Holiday Valley in Endicottville, NY is in the lake effect snow belt of western NY. It has a solid following of regulars that swear by it.
I was going to mention that. As a former 3-night-a-weeker at 7 springs, I found it was a nice resort that provided challenging runs that seemed slightly longer than 7 Springs' runs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh