Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:14 PM

25 posts, read 180,634 times

Advertisements

In March my girlfriend is starting a job at Children's, and I work on down by Market Square. I have been looking for an apartment (pref a house) to rent for between 500 - 1000 that lets us have a 50 lb dog, would be great with 2 spots off street and is within 30 minutes drive of Children's.

The Realtor has sent me only $1500 places and I've looked on Craigslist and everything looks like they are in shady neighborhoods. Where else can I look? I would much rather buy, but I have a home in Cleveland that I still have yet to sell, so my money is tied up right now.

I've mostly been looking north and over by Moon since we both work closer to the north side of town. The plan would be to be in the rental for a year while I figure my other home out and get finances in order.

I would much rather buy, but I would have a chore of getting a 2nd loan. and she can only get maybe 140k, once I sell my house I could reasonably get at least 200k. I would be ok with a fixer upper, but I feel like renting might be better at least for a short time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 06:34 PM

674 posts, read 1,413,079 times
You're asking for a heck of a lot on a pretty small budget. House rentals are few and far between, and for that price no wonder you're only seeing things in shady neighborhoods. Add in 2 off street spots AND allowing a 50 lb dog, and you've just about eliminated yourself out. Something is going to have to give. I suggest you reconsider your search parameters.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:53 PM

25 posts, read 180,634 times
Well it's not even like the 2 off street thing was something I searched for directly, just a nice to have thing. What kind of budget should I be expecting? It seems like when your getting into 1300-1500 range, I could just buy a house for that kind of monthly payment, almost seems stupid to rent at that point.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:02 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Here's a nice one in Lawrenceville (Children's Hospital), dogs OK, but it's $1800. Lawrenceville House for rent (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/2813612266.html - broken link)

It's hard to find a house to rent in Pittsburgh, let alone for $500-1000, let alone with a dog. Call it the dark and seamy underside of "America's Most Livable City." (We're still "Most Livable," no?)

Last edited by jay5835; 01-24-2012 at 07:40 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 08:02 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Will your girlfriend have parking at Children's? Or will she have to use the off site lot? It seems that 90% of Children's workers have to park off site, which means there is a serious benefit to living some where she can easily walk or bus to the hospital. The hospital is right on the border of Bloomfield and Lawrenceville, neither of which are shady neighborhoods. Finding a place that allows a dog will pose some trouble, but is doable -- finding a place with 2 parking spots is going to be nigh impossible. You'll either have to separately rent one or both spaces, or find a place with off street parking for one car, and use the on street parking permit for the other car. Both Bloomfield and Lawrenceville offer easy bus/driving/biking routes to Market Square, as well. I have seen row homes in Bloomfield advertised for $700+ in the past year, some even with off street parking.

I guess I'm projecting my own priorities a bit here, but I would hate for my commute to start by driving (potentially in heavy traffic), then having to park in a lot, wait for a bus, and only then arrive to work. Then do the reverse in order to get home. It would be a serious quality of life issue for me. Obviously if you are willing to put up with the hassle, time, and cost of busing or driving to work, you can expand your search area significantly, though.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:10 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
Look up Rt. 28 - Millvale, Sharpsburg, Blawnox, Harmarville, Cheswick. Ditch the dog.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:03 AM

165 posts, read 262,559 times
I could see maybe looking north but I would stay away from Moon. If you're working downtown and she's in Lawrenceville then out the Parkway West would be the last place I'd want to live.

Here's one in Brookline: Beautiful, large lot, in city, A/C, garage (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/2817158711.html - broken link)

Although not an optimal commute to Lawrenceville, nurses often work non-business hours so traffic might not be so bad. To get to town you could take the bus. Most of the Brookline buses go right onto the south busway so the commute isn't too bad.

Here's one in Mt. Washington: Mount Washington Brick House (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/2813499241.html - broken link)

Bloomfield: House for Rent (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/2816313602.html - broken link)

West View: Nice Size 2 BedroomTownhouse (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/2815522907.html - broken link)

It seems like there are a lot of options. You're just going to have to make a lot of phone calls and be flexible. Something is going to have to give somewhere.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll find something that works for you guys.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:45 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Looks like a few good options in that last post. That's a decent spot in Mt Washington, although don't be fooled by that pic with the view, LOL, it is a couple blocks down off of Virginia Ave. Still, a good spot, you could walk up to the incline to go to downtown if you wanted (walk over Smithfiled St Bridge, or take the T from there), and there's a grocery store just a couple blocks away. The dog is typically the hardest part of the equation, even harder than off-street parking. Bloomfield seems like an obvious place to look to be close to the hospital (the only place where she would not have to drive to the hospital) and downtown at reasonable price, but there is very little off-street parking there. The one listing linked is I believe a fairly rare exception. Brookline and West View are fine, though you'll probably be resigned to driving. Although, to get to your job downtown, you could take a bus since buses from most areas can get you to/from downtown easily. If there's any chance you'd drive in/out together, West View is interesting because there's an extra HOV lane that you could use with 2 people in the car. I'm guessing, though, that shift work at Children's won't be compatible with your office hours. Millvale is not a bad idea either, or anything in the closer parts of Ross. Also Bellevue.

Just gotta keep plugging away at these. You'll find something. It may not be ideal, but you can fix that better once you sell your other house.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:05 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Another option would be Shaler. Shaler is a suburb with reasonale prices. Good location for a commute to Children's.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:25 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeigh2182 View Post
Bloomfield: House for Rent (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/2816313602.html - broken link)
I'd snap this one up ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh