Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 4,920 times

Advertisements

Hi all. The opportunity as arisen for me to transfer to Pittsburgh temporarily (2-3 years), but I'm a little bit confused when it comes to housing. Our family lives in Valdosta, GA but my wife and I are originally from Atlanta. I visited the city of Pittsburgh last summer and liked what I saw even though I was only there for the weekend. What I'm seeing on Craigslist in the way of houses for rent though is kind of limiting. My wife and I have two boys (ages 9 & 12), and we're looking for at minimum a 3 bed / 2 bath house. Again, we will be renting since this will be a temporary move for us. I'm amazed at both the slim pickings in the way of housing as well as the rental rates, which are in many cases double (or more) than what we would expect to pay to rent a house that is larger (and more modern, nicer) down here. What is the reason behind this? I've read that Pittsburgh is a very affordable city, but it sure doesn't seem affordable at all to rent there. Am I missing something? Is Craigslist just not the place to look? It is here, so that's where I started my search. I'll also note that I called a realtor who covered the suburb of Robinson, and the listings she emailed me were mostly more of the same. The lowest price ($2200 per month) listing I got from her looked was a 3 bedroom ranch that looked run down in the pictures. The kitchen didn't look like it was updated since the 1980's. A house like that would run $600 / month here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 02:30 PM

876 posts, read 1,146,771 times
This is a very affordable city in terms of buying a house, but the rental market is a bit tight and good deals can be hard to find.

Stay away from newer construction in exurbia if you want a good deal. Look at renovated places in the older suburbs.

Are going to be working downtown? How close to the city do you want to be? Does it matter if you have access to a busline? Do you want a walkable community, or do you want to be half a mile from your nearest neighbor?

Old 03-09-2014, 02:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,212,678 times
It's cheaper to own than to rent here. It has always been that way, but rental prices are increasing even more because there is a shortage of rentals. I guess since most people buy (since it's cheaper to own), developers haven't kept up with the rental demand.

Rentals typically don't have the latest updates. (Heck, many houses for sale don't either.) Landlords are in this to make money. There's no need to update if people will rent without updates.

Craig's List has a good representation of housing prices. You might find a deal through a realtor but usually more expensive homes are listed with realtors.

You're probably going to have to accept the fact that you're going to be living in what you might consider a dump.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:42 PM

876 posts, read 1,146,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're probably going to have to accept the fact that you're going to be living in what you might consider a dump.
Not necessarily, although a 3 bedroom, 2 bath with updates, located in a decent school district won't be easy to find for less than about 1,200, I'd imagine.

Maybe the Crafton/Ingram/Carnegie area would be a good place to look?

Shaler perhaps?

Old 03-09-2014, 02:56 PM

4 posts, read 4,920 times
Quote:
It's cheaper to own than to rent here. It has always been that way, but rental prices are increasing even more because there is a shortage of rentals. I guess since most people buy (since it's cheaper to own), developers haven't kept up with the rental demand.

Rentals typically don't have the latest updates. (Heck, many houses for sale don't either.) Landlords are in this to make money. There's no need to update if people will rent without updates.

Craig's List has a good representation of housing prices. You might find a deal through a realtor but usually more expensive homes are listed with realtors.

Wow. Thanks for the straight-foreward insight! You probably saved us a lot of headaches. I just couldn't see us living in any of the places that were presented to us that were within what we were willing to spend. While we more than could afford spending over $50,000 on rent over the course of the next two years, I can't find anything justifying the additional expense. The cost of renting in Pittsburgh would shave off all of the bonus pay for the assignment and then some. Unfortunately we're not in a position to buy, as this would've been a temporary assignment only, so I really didn't look too far into real estate prices. What I did see seemed like it would average about 15-20% more than what the prices are here in south Georgia.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,212,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springheeledjack View Post
Wow. Thanks for the straight-foreward insight! You probably saved us a lot of headaches. I just couldn't see us living in any of the places that were presented to us that were within what we were willing to spend. While we more than could afford spending over $50,000 on rent over the course of the next two years, I can't find anything justifying the additional expense. The cost of renting in Pittsburgh would shave off all of the bonus pay for the assignment and then some. Unfortunately we're not in a position to buy, as this would've been a temporary assignment only, so I really didn't look too far into real estate prices. What I did see seemed like it would average about 15-20% more than what the prices are here in south Georgia.
Does this mean you're not coming to Pittsburgh now, or that you will simply search for a less-than-perfect house that's priced within your current budget?

Old 03-09-2014, 04:21 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,396,553 times
Quote:

I knew there were smart and unbiased people on this board. Good accurate post.

Pittsburgh is full of dated housing with over bloated rents and home prices.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:37 PM

131 posts, read 161,563 times
I have a rental that can possibly meet both your quality expectations, and budget.
Shoot me a private message if interested...I don't want to spam the forum.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:37 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,119,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post

Pittsburgh is full of dated housing with over bloated rents and home prices.
It is a supply and demand market, if rents were too high, rentals would sit vacant.

Low cost real estate is a bit of a myth here in Pittsburgh, rents are high, it doesn't matter if you are renting from a landlord, or from the government.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:37 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,842,363 times
There were few rental houses available back in 2011 when I looked for something to rent that was 1500 sq ft or so. Landlords mostly don't allow pets at all. If you have pets, losta luck. One of the things that makes rental houses scarce is the number of Marcellus shale gas workers migrating to the region. Most of that business is not in Pittsburgh, but it sure has sucked up a lot of rental property or else raised the rents out of sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh