Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:46 PM

9 posts, read 19,704 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 30 yr old single professional considering a move to Pittsburgh and I am trying to get a sense of travel time from the city itself to my potential job.

I would likely be splitting work between 2 locations; Robinson and Delmont areas. From what I understand in talking to a few people it seems like the north and west regions would be preferable due to commute times. I have been looking on padmapper in the Mt Washington area and some on the north side (mexican war streets) but am interested in expanding my search to other areas. I would like to keep my commute time to under 30 minutes so does this eliminate areas like shadyside, squirrel hill, strip district?

I hope to spend no more than 800/month but am flexible, have 1 cat, and would ideally like live in the city itself in an area that is safe but has some stuff going on (shopping, restaurants, etc.) and where it may be easier to meet people so if anyone has any additional area recommendations or knows of any reputable apartments I would appreciate any info.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 01:38 PM

16 posts, read 30,645 times
I am not sure how you would be better off in the north or west to commute to Delmont. I would say an east end city neighborhood would be perfect for you if you can get the rent level you are looking for. I have not looked at rental rates for a long time, but I would think you could get something in Squirrel Hill for that level which I think would be perfect for the neighborhood amenities you are looking for.

The only rental company I can think of off hand is Walnut Capital. I had a couple of their apartments and never had a problem. I think most of their apartments take pets as well (or at least they did 5 years ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb1119 View Post
Hi, I'm a 30 yr old single professional considering a move to Pittsburgh and I am trying to get a sense of travel time from the city itself to my potential job.

I would likely be splitting work between 2 locations; Robinson and Delmont areas. From what I understand in talking to a few people it seems like the north and west regions would be preferable due to commute times. I have been looking on padmapper in the Mt Washington area and some on the north side (mexican war streets) but am interested in expanding my search to other areas. I would like to keep my commute time to under 30 minutes so does this eliminate areas like shadyside, squirrel hill, strip district?

I hope to spend no more than 800/month but am flexible, have 1 cat, and would ideally like live in the city itself in an area that is safe but has some stuff going on (shopping, restaurants, etc.) and where it may be easier to meet people so if anyone has any additional area recommendations or knows of any reputable apartments I would appreciate any info.

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:45 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Under 30 minutes to both Robinson and Delmont may be tough, if you are talking rush hour. The East End is as good a bet as any, but I think you will end up over 30 to Robinson.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:55 PM

482 posts, read 1,234,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Under 30 minutes to both Robinson and Delmont may be tough, if you are talking rush hour. The East End is as good a bet as any, but I think you will end up over 30 to Robinson.

In the mornings, it is possible to get to Robinson from the east end in just over 30 minutes, depending on what time you leave, of course. I make it from Lawrenceville to Beaver in 45 minutes going up 376, but I leave at 6:00am when I do that.

In my opinion, living in a place that will get you to BOTH places in under 30 minutes is a stretch. My advice would be to determine where you will be more and find a place that tailor's to that.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:47 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Blawnox might work, gets you right on to Route 28 and limited access highways right out to Robinson. Its about 30 to Delmont from there as well.

Out in Wilkins Township, there are a lot of apartments around Penn Center near Sears. With clear traffic, you could do Robinson in less than 30, but there is heavy traffic going through the Squirrel Tunnels. You could do Delmont in less than 30 as well. My aunt lived there and liked it, but she was in her 80s.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:35 PM

367 posts, read 622,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb1119 View Post

Thanks for your help!
Shadyside, Squirrel Hill and Strip District are right on in terms of commute time! In the $800/ month category though you will get more bang for your buck Bloomfield, near those same areas and close to downtown. I found my place (less than $700/month) in Bloomfield, two bed, two bath, brand new hard wood and kitchen, etc. on Craigs List. I did use padmapper a lot though to gauge walkability (not know at the time of walkscore.com).

If you have any specific questions about Bloomfield please feel free to PM me. My wife and I love it here!

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 PM

367 posts, read 622,233 times
By right on with commute time, I do mean under 30 minutes.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:36 AM

9 posts, read 19,704 times
Thanks everyone! So is the commute not so good if I were to live in the northside? I am assuming that it should not be so bad from the Mt Washington area since it is on the same side of the river as robinson and delmont but I just want to make sure. If I take the job I'll be coming down to look at some places but want to have a general idea of drive time to and from my job to narrow down my focus. Thanks again!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
The North Side wouldn't be too bad, but I'd guess during rush hour it would be a little over 30 minutes to Delmont.

Generally if you have some wiggle room on that 30 minutes line, or aren't trying to commute during rush hour, most of the central neighborhoods would work.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The North Side wouldn't be too bad, but I'd guess during rush hour it would be a little over 30 minutes to Delmont.

Generally if you have some wiggle room on that 30 minutes line, or aren't trying to commute during rush hour, most of the central neighborhoods would work.
Wouldn't be bad at all, especially in the morning. My guess is that it might back up a little bit at either inbound tunnel in the afternoon, but you'd deal with that anywhere in the City really. Traffic over the Ft. Duquesne into the Northside rarely backs up, at least in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh