Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 05:57 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,310,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Maronda has a distinct style; especially from the 70s and 80s and you can probably tell. It has a lot of the arched entryways into living areas and sometimes arched "windows" in the hallway of the 2nd floor by the staircase.

For example, see picture 10 and 21: 318 Moosehead Drive,*North Fayette,*PA, 15126 | North Fayette Real Estate

Also, to answer your original questions: I have heard that Maronda and Ryan quality were better in their earlier days. Also, you can figure that a lot of the problems that their newer builds have, may have already been corrected and repaired by the previous owners since they were built so long ago. I would think if the inspection goes well, I wouldn't have any major concerns. You can also search the Allegheny County Real Estate ( Real Estate Portal | Search | Allegheny County ) and use the Owners tab to see if there is any information about the builder.
Thanks. That's good info. I LOVE arched entryways actually. I thought that was expensive to do though and not the kind of thing Ryan or Maronda would typically do. I'm really surprised to hear they had that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 07:25 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
Ryan was good until the mid=70's. Maronda has always been crap. Drive through a 10 year old Maronda development and see how well they age.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:31 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Ryan was good until the mid=70's. Maronda has always been crap. Drive through a 10 year old Maronda development and see how well they age.
The Maronda I posted that's for sale was built in 1995; I wouldn't consider it crap, at all.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:52 AM

There's a couple of homes in a community I have in mind in Gibsonia/Hampton. I believe they were built by Maronda about 30 years ago. The homes all look in good condition though I guess they could still have major problems.
I also really like the Graybrooke community in the north hills and I think that was mostly built by Ryan in the 60s through 80s.
I definitely want to get all perspectives here, though. I don't want to buy something I regret.

The Hampton community. http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/48...11276892_zpid/

Old 05-05-2017, 08:03 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
That's definitely a Maronda. It was built in 1988. I think it looks like it's in good shape. I'm not a structural engineer by any means but in terms of general up-keep and maintenance, it seems the previous owners did a nice job maintaining the home.

People can make generalizations and say "Maronda is crap", but really it just depends on the contractors and who did the work when building each particular home. They may have similar models throughout various developments, but they're not all built exactly the same.

Are there horror stories that you can Google and find for all builders? Of course there are. But, if they were ALL built that terribly, I don't think Maronda would still be in business and would certainly not still be creating (and selling) new developments and homes throughout Western PA.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
The Maronda I posted that's for sale was built in 1995; I wouldn't consider it crap, at all.

That's standard crap for Maronda: brick front, vinyl sides, 2200 square feet minus entry. Godawful curb appeal, flush the 2nd floor toilet and hear it throughout the house. County gives it a C+ quality rating, which is a stretch. When city people rant about "cookie cutter" houses, this is the gold standard.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:09 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,995 times
Quote:
That's standard crap for Maronda: brick front, vinyl sides, 2200 square feet minus entry. Godawful curb appeal, flush the 2nd floor toilet and hear it throughout the house. County gives it a C+ quality rating, which is a stretch. When city people rant about "cookie cutter" houses, this is the gold standard.
I have friends that live in that plan. They like it. I forget the nickname. It is something that reflects the fact that all of the streets have Native American names.

Generally speaking, most of the more modestly priced houses of that era have their design flaws. For me, I hate the front entry cause it consists of a wood deck.

This isn't unique to Pittsburgh. My BIL lives in North Carolina and his plan hasn't aged well either. I think it is really the siding. At some point siding just looks terrible.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:21 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,850 times
Maronda does not install front walkways or stairs, they use concrete stepping stones and give the homeowner a rebate to buy their own concrete. I somehow ended up on a list of companies the homeowners can call to get the front walkways installed. I have been in a lot of plans in the last few years, i cant believe how poor the quality is.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Where are the ratings? I'd like to look them up. I think there's a big distinction between cost-saving methods that allow the owner to buy a bigger home (like cookie-cutter design, brick front), though, and irresponsible cost-cutting that could lead to serious problems or even hazards for the homeowner. I'm really just concerned about the latter. I do think the homes in the community I posted the link to look cookie cutter but I still like the variety within the set of designs. The integral garage is cheap though and it might get tiring to go up 15 steps every time I enter.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Where are the ratings? .

Just look up any address on the County website and look under description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh