Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:33 PM

76 posts, read 274,063 times

Advertisements

Sorry, Route 28 stinks. Slammed between railroad tracks and hillsides, it can be deadly. On off hours, though, it's only just bad.

The North Hills? Ross Township/North Hills? Plazas and strip malls? No sidewalks?
White sprawl. If you like that kind of thing, go for it. And for the Pittsburgh area, expensive.
Yeah, Bellevue is nice and not far from the City. A few nice restaurants and some great (walkable) shops, including a really nice hardware store. Some really big houses for not too much dough. They have sidewalks and porches.
There are more expensive places a little down river; Sewickly, Sewickly Heights and Ben Avon. Expensive for Pittsburgh, but then I'm spoiled.

Average housing prices in my neighborhood are $34,000. Within walking distance of downtown (OK, it's a 45 minute walk!).
You could also try Observatory Hill or Brighton Heights.

My commute has always been a 30 or a 45 minute walk. As I said; spoiled.
I can walk to PNC Park, Hienz Field, the Warhol, the Hazlett Theater, the Mattress Factory and to the Benedum Center and Hienz Hall.

My house is paid for! I'm spoiled rotten!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 07:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
And you live in what many consider to be a dangerous neighborhood, Chautauquast.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 5,413 times
I commuted for years from Blawnox to CMU. It wasn't a bad commute, it usually took 20 minutes by car. Blawnox is in the good Fox Chapel school system and it's one of the least expensive towns in that district.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:47 AM

9 posts, read 25,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Sburgher View Post
I commuted for years from Blawnox to CMU. It wasn't a bad commute, it usually took 20 minutes by car. Blawnox is in the good Fox Chapel school system and it's one of the least expensive towns in that district.
Unfortunately not a single home available for sale in Blawnox. But I'll check it out when I'm there in a couple of weeks. Seems like a cute borough.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:12 PM

9 posts, read 25,608 times
I'm coming out in two weeks to look in Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park, Ross Township and West View, possibly in Plum Boro as well. I'll let you know what I find.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:40 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
Quote:
I'm coming out in two weeks to look in Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park, Ross Township and West View, possibly in Plum Boro as well. I'll let you know what I find.
Those are some very interesting choices, a good variety. Might I suggest looking into Murrysville and North Huntington, too? They aren't far from Plum and are in Westmoreland County.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:32 PM

92 posts, read 92,561 times
the worst traffic I've ever experienced was between San Diego and LA but Boston is not piece of cake either. My recent trip to Pitt was comparable to Boston. There IS traffic in Pitt.

You want laughable? - Topeka, KS. 5:15 on a Friday afternoon, 9 cars in line at the light and my brother says "rush hour traffic" - I just looked at him jaw dropped.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:31 PM

48 posts, read 199,517 times
Traffic is all relative as are commute times. Coming from Phila, an hour commute to work is normal, here it seems crazy. And if you ask anyone how long it takes to get anywhere its 20 minutes, then you'll here all the exceptions... weather, time, conditions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh