Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 06:30 AM

135 posts, read 176,576 times

Advertisements

Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
While there's been some discussion about cars, and speed limits, I haven't seen this mentioned yet--You do know we drive on the wrong side of the road, don't you?
Yes i knew that thanks and it's nice to see someone admit that it's the "wrong" side of the road .

I've been looking into the actual driving about part and come across this site, is much of this pretty accurate? I know that i'm going to have to get a US/State licence by the end of the year and that's going to be another wonderful adventure . So any comments on whether or not the tips on this site are useful or links to a more useful one would be appreciated. Thanks.

United States: Traveling by Car in the US - TripAdvisor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 08:23 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibarfast View Post
Hello

Yes i knew that thanks and it's nice to see someone admit that it's the "wrong" side of the road .
I don't really belive that. I was just being nice.

Quote:
I've been looking into the actual driving about part and come across this site, is much of this pretty accurate? I know that i'm going to have to get a US/State licence by the end of the year and that's going to be another wonderful adventure . So any comments on whether or not the tips on this site are useful or links to a more useful one would be appreciated. Thanks.

United States: Traveling by Car in the US - TripAdvisor
That was rather lenghty, so I'll admit I skimmed over much of it, but one thing jumped out at me as not quite accurate:

Quote:
Americans do not use "flash to pass" or other headlight signaling. Best case it may be viewed as the signaler has road rage....worst case it may incite road rage. An exception would be for an oncoming car with high (distance) beams where a quick flash may remined them to dim,
While it's far from universal, we do use headlights to signal on occasion. You'll sometimes see them used in the "flash to pass" meaning, but I agree that its often seen as aggressive, or at least pushy. The reminder to dim high beams is quite common.

Quote:
...also, a flash of headlights is used to warn other vehicles that you are coming - when they are waiting at a side road on a highway, for example.
With this advice, I take issue. Sometimes, a driver will flash his headlights to indicate a willingness to yeild the right of way. In the situation described, a misinterpretation might be disasterous...

Old 03-04-2012, 09:20 AM

Hello.

@Ditchdigger.
Shall we settle on the "other side of the road"?.

Thanks for taking a quick look at the site i linked, it's appreciated. Knowing a bit more about 'headlight flashing' is a godsend. In UK it pretty much always means that your letting someone pull out of a junction or relinquishing the right of way to them.

I've spent 20 years driving in a particular way, it's going to take a while to bury the old habits .

Old 03-04-2012, 02:05 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Quote:
Hello.

@Ditchdigger.
Shall we settle on the "other side of the road"?.

Thanks for taking a quick look at the site i linked, it's appreciated. Knowing a bit more about 'headlight flashing' is a godsend. In UK it pretty much always means that your letting someone pull out of a junction or relinquishing the right of way to them.

I've spent 20 years driving in a particular way, it's going to take a while to bury the old habits .
Dont worry really. The worst part is when you are making turns ; its a common thing to think ; oh what is that guy doing on the wrong side, and then thinking oh no, its me. BTDT.

After about a week, you will be fine.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:22 AM

Hello.

Well, i got my list through of the cars that i'm eligible to choose from for my company car when i arrive in April/May. The e.mail said that i have a few weeks to choose one so that's a relief.

I only have some knowledge of two of the cars and that's the 1st one on the list that's for sale in the UK as the Vauxhall Insignia (already booked a test-drive for that one) and the other is the 2nd which i'm off to have a look at later in the week (got an hour drive to get to the nearest dealer).

So, here they are..

Buick Regal CXL 2011
Chrysler 300 Base 2011 (not sure if 'Base' is a spec' but i think it may just mean the bottom of the range).
Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 2011
Ford Taurus SEL 2011

There you go, discuss .

Again, thanks for all the help..

Last edited by Slartibarfast; 03-05-2012 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: put Chrysler 300 in wrong place, should have been 2nd

Old 03-05-2012, 09:31 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
The Regal or the Taurus. The Regal is probably decked out nicer by default, but both drive pretty well. The Taurus is a little bigger, so you might like the Regal more because of that. I drove the Regal more recently (a couple months ago as a surprise upgrade on my rental) and actually really liked it. It retains more of the European tuning than GM used to manage, actually handles pretty decently. This is not something one used to associate with Buicks. The Taurus cruised nicely for such a large car as well.

I've never driven a 300, but "base" doesn't sound promising. Some people like the looks; I don't care for it so much. Malibu is a typical boring fleet car generally, although I doubt I've driven an LTZ as a rental. Underneath I guess it's probably the same or similar to the Regal.

They really sell Chevy Malibus over there? Wacky. They might sell the Chrysler there too. Taurus I think is larger than anything Ford sells over there.

Now that's just thinking driving-wise. Image-wise, I'm not sure. At a similar age I didn't feel stupid getting out of the Buick while I had it for a week. The only stickler is the brand name, but it was such an impressive car for GM in my mind that I could forgive that. Ford or Chrysler might have a less frumpy image as brands overall. Chevy is a mainline to value type brand so no image there.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:37 AM

Hello.

@Greg42
Sorry, i put the Chrysler 300 in the wrong place, it should have been 2nd. It's sold over here not the Chevrolet Malibu .

Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Hello.

@Greg42
Sorry, i put the Chrysler 300 in the wrong place, it should have been 2nd. It's sold over here not the Chevrolet Malibu .
Ah, okay, that does make a little more sense. It really wouldn't make much sense for GM to sell standard Chevys there along with Vauxhall, but this is GM so you never know.

It's pretty easy to find pics of all these I think, although Ford's own site is showing the 2013 Taurus which looks a bit modified from the 2011. I liked it more than I expected to, but it is pretty large. Who knows, you may like the Chrysler, it's just not my thing. Base shouldn't really be too base on that model unless it's a special stripped fleet version or something. Just make sure they don't stick you with the Chevy.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:20 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
I'd go for the Regal. It is a nice-looking car, should be well-equipped (the CXL is an uplevel trim), and handles reasonably well. Incidentally, I believe the 2011s were actually built in Germany.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:16 AM

Hello.

Update on the cars i was going to test-drive during the week:

Chrysler 300.
Well equiped, spacious, good engine with plenty of power and very smooth. Handling was interesting, like wrestling an oiled walrus, you think you know what's happening and then it does what it wants. Interior wasn't great, comfy seats when going in a straight line but felt like i'd slide out of it when doing tight cornering. Good spec (i drove the lowest spec model they had) but really badly put together, loads of gaps and it sounded like it was mincing mice behind the dashboard ("Squeaktastic").

Buick Regal (I drove a Vauxhall Insignia which is identical).
Again well equiped, a good size inside though smaller than the Chrysler, nice engine, not as smooth but good midrange and pretty torquey. Handling was very good, firmed up nicely when cornering and good seats kept me in place. All the toys i could want and put together well, no squeaks and 'soft touch' plastics mostly when plastics were needed to be touched.

Not able to get a drive in a Chevrolet Malibu or a Ford Taurus as they're not available over here so as i need to let them know before i arrive (not sure why, ordering or something i imagine) i'm going to go for the..........

Buick Regal! Not much of a shock i imagine from reading my reviews. Would have been nice to have a look at the Ford but it's changeing a lot for the 2013 model so maybe able to get one then.

(to be fair to the Chrysler, Bristol where i drove it has many roundabouts and small roads so probably not where it was designed for).

Last edited by Slartibarfast; 03-09-2012 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: I can't type :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh