Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:05 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,140,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
One is a Regional Culture the other is Racial get it....The 2 cannot be compared, as hard as you try to make the case.
African=American culture is a Regional Culture. It only spans the United States, not the entire world.

Quote:
I've already said in other threads that I associate such an "Appalachian Culture" with Hicks, Hillbillies, Redneck and People who cling to their guns if there's suppose to be one....Now tell me we're you find that in Pittsburgh.
Stereotypes make it difficult for people to understand the cultures of others.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:06 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,890,718 times
Quote:
I've already said in other threads that I associate such an "Appalachian Culture" with Hicks, Hillbillies, Redneck and People who cling to their guns if there's suppose to be one....Now tell me we're you find that in Pittsburgh.

One is a Regional Culture the other is Racial get it....The 2 cannot be compared, as hard as you try to make the case

Its funny that Appalachian Culture is suppose to be so pronounced and defined in Pittsburgh, yet the population of Pittsburgh doesn't even identify with it or truly understand it.
Actually you clearly seem to have you're own definition of Applachian Culture, one that is quite narrow minded and insulting (and for one so sensitive about race, is clearly directed at white people)- no one is agreeing with your definition to which any alternative definition presented you say nope, that's not right try again.

Not sure why this thread was even started when you clearly had your own working definition of Appalachia other then trying to find others to validate your beliefs about the area and then getting very defensive when no one would agree with you.

Sorry on behalf of all Pittsburghers that we don't directly associate ourselves with the clearly superior enlightened masses that populate east coast cities.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:38 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,905,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Actually you clearly seem to have you're own definition of Applachian Culture, one that is quite narrow minded and insulting (and for one so sensitive about race, is clearly directed at white people)- no one is agreeing with your definition to which any alternative definition presented you say nope, that's not right try again.

Not sure why this thread was even started when you clearly had your own working definition of Appalachia other then trying to find others to validate your beliefs about the area and then getting very defensive when no one would agree with you.

Sorry on behalf of all Pittsburghers that we don't directly associate ourselves with the clearly superior enlightened masses that populate east coast cities.
....Appalachians = Mountains = Mountain People = Hillbillies/Barefeet/Outhouses/Shotguns....(not very far fetch) as a matter of fact...I'm willing to bet this is MOST peoples (including Pittsburghers) thought process of such "Appalachian Culture"....Sorry if you think its a mischaracterization of the Culture, unforunately as someone who was born and breed in the Burgh I've never heard of such culture being applied to Pittsburgh and never thought of Pittsburgh as a "Mountain Culture"

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 03-04-2012 at 08:57 AM..

Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,805,882 times
Quote:
....Appalachians = Mountains = Mountain People = Hillbillies/Barefeet/Outhouses/Shotguns.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,528,448 times
Quote:
....Appalachians = Mountains = Mountain People = Hillbillies/Barefeet/Outhouses/Shotguns.
for someone so offended by racial discussions, you sure do have your own ignorant perceptions to control first.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:45 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,149,065 times
Using the term culture to describe a group of people is ridiculous. I have heard crusty old honkies say they do not understand a certain hispanic group's culture. I just do not get it. Everyone eats, drinks, sleeps, and well you know what else. People need to come to terms with their racism or snobby elitism.

Pittsburgh is cool.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:47 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,608,399 times
Quote:
....Appalachians = Mountains = Mountain People = Hillbillies/Barefeet/Outhouses/Shotguns....(not very far fetch) as a matter of fact...I'm willing to bet this is MOST peoples (including Pittsburghers) thought process of such "Appalachian Culture"....Sorry if you think its a mischaracterization of the Culture, unforunately as someone who was born and breed in the Burgh I've heard of such culture being applied to Pittsburgh and never thought of Pittsburgh as a "Mountain Culture"
As crass and limited as your characterization is, it does bring to mind this present day local example...you know the armored car heist by Ken Konias the other day? This links to an article about how his family was suggested to appear on a reality TV show called "Loser Leaves Town" because they're engaged in a "Hatfield-McCoy" style feud with neighbors. "Hicks" with shotguns (or in this case semi-automatic weapons) right here in Dravosburg, 2012. That's just one recent example but, even if you insist on reducing it to that level, there are plenty more examples. I suppose you've never heard Pittsburgh referred to as Hicksburgh - or wondered why?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...tworkHeadlines

Old 03-04-2012, 08:48 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
African=American culture is a Regional Culture. It only spans the United States, not the entire world.
Actually African American spans the US and CANADA......African American is a Race...Appalachian is NOT A RACE of People.

Quote:
Stereotypes make it difficult for people to understand the cultures of others.
And the Pot calls the Kettle "BLACK"

Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
for someone so offended by racial discussions, you sure do have your own ignorant perceptions to control first.
For someone who can't even answer a question in his own words.....lets see you answer this.....Hope states her mother is Appalachian, and states I needed to visit the Mountains in order to get an understanding of the true Appalachian Culture.

Ok - So i ask you what is the Culture of Mountain people? Does it not closely resemble Hillbillies? Aren't Hillbillies Mountain people...

Of course you wont answer this either, just dodge the question as usual by either throwing up another question, or attacking me.

Yet after all this back n' forth and insult throwing...NO ONE, NOT ONE PERSON has been able to tell me how I can see Appalachian Culture of today (2012) in the city of Pittsburgh it what way is Appalachian Culture still prevalent to the naked eye.

I think Brian pretty much said it the best:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Appalachian Culture definitely refers to something, but it doesn't necessarily have that much to do with Pittsburgh--I think it is mostly has to do with the southwestern part of the Appalachian region (the northeastern part of the Appalachian region has a different migration history than both the Northeast Coast and southwestern Appalachia).

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 03-04-2012 at 09:07 AM..

Old 03-04-2012, 09:21 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,528,448 times
I think most have just accepted that you see what you want to see, and despite 90% of the people in this thread throwing information at you, you simply continue to ignore it. That is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh