Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 03:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
NEWS FLASH!!! All of Pittsburgh except the Ghettos meets the OP criteria if that's the only criteria (surrounding ones self with Plenty of white people, I mean you can't go wrong)
Then why are you so upset by the OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 03:11 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She edited her post and added the second sentence after I posted. What I quoted was exactly what was in her post when I responded. "Lilly white" isn't being nice...
Whatever....

Old 03-07-2012, 03:14 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Almost all Pittsburgh neighborhoods are majority white. I can't think of a majority nonwhite neighborhood that anyone would actually recommend. (Do we even have one? Homewood and the Hill maybe is it? Maybe a few others.) Nobody has recommended anything close, and nobody has recommended anything remotely unsafe.
Homewood and the Hill are both pretty large areas. There are definitely other majority black neighborhoods, though. Garfield, Larimer, East Hills, Manchester, California-kirkbride, Perry south, Knoxville, Mt. Oliver, and a few more I'm sure.

As for ones that we would recommend to OP, even without the non-diverse comment, no, there are none. There are some that are fine, but none that approach the affluence that OP is seeking.

Manchester, East Liberty, Garfield, the war streets, parts of Penn Hills, and Wilkinsburg are probably the only ones that would ever actually get recommended on this forum. They aren't shining cities on the hill, but they are black majority and have something going for them.

Quote:
Please show me a post where some one came on here saying that they only wanted to live around majority black...You may blacks wanting to live in areas that are diverse and not hostel to blacks which a " Majority White Neighborhood" can be....which is why some blacks may shy away from an all white area if they don't know the area and that's understandable, and I'm not talking about Pittsburgh white neighborhoods, this goes for everywhere in the U.S

Now what "Diverse" neighborhoods can you think of that is hostel to Whites?......Usually when Whites start come into Black neighborhoods they push the blacks out, thru gentrification....

Please...between this and your trying to equate AA's to Appalachian Culture I'm starting to wonder about your objectivity.
I don't understand this mentality. And it is frustrating to me as a white person currently looking for homes in lower cost areas. If I move into an unoccupied home in Garfield or something, how is that pushing anybody out? Heck, even if a black family moves out because they sold it to me, that still is not me pushing them out. If you want to say that it is "the establishment" doing it, by fixing up parks, or building condos or whatever, that is fair enough...but it's not pushing out black people, it's pushing out poor renters. The same thing could happen to me. If the War Streets suddenly become even hotter than they already are, I couldn't compete with someone willing to pay $1,000 rent. No amount of whiteness would save me from that ;-)

Old 03-07-2012, 03:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Please show me a post where some one came on here saying that they only wanted to live around majority black...
I'll post links when I have time to find them. I won't be surprised if you posted in the threads. We've had black families asking for affluent black neighborhoods. We've had black families asking for diverse neighborhoods, not wanting to live in predominantly white neighborhoods. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it. I'm just pointing out how inappropriate it is for you to be giving the OP of this thread a hard time.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
When why are you so upset by the OP?
I not upset, I was just clarifying what would be best for the OP....

He stated he wanted "Less Diversity" I don't know any other way to take that accept he doesn't want to live around Minorities.

then he states he wants "Affluent".......with those to criteria's the lily white suburbs are best....I mean the Pittsburgh's suburbs are far more affluent and white than anywhere in the city, or is there 2 different Pittsburgh, PA again?

By the way your stats include all of Squirrel Hill (North and South) Squirrel Hill South is even less white than North.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 PM

70 posts, read 175,094 times
Hey guys, thanks for the wonderful suggestions so far.

So what I understand is that Pittsburgh is predominantly white and most neighbouthoods suggested would fulfill that criteria.

My plan right now is to look at squirrel hill, shadyside if I can get something decent. If not, I am just gonna take up a short term lease in Taylor ridge and take it from there.

Unless someone has better suggestions????? Please :-)

Old 03-07-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I'll post links when I have time to find them. I won't be surprised if you posted in the threads. We've had black families asking for affluent black neighborhoods. We've had black families asking for diverse neighborhoods, not wanting to live in predominantly white neighborhoods. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it. I'm just pointing out how inappropriate it is for you to be giving the OP of this thread a hard time.
Again some blacks that are new to an area want to avoid living with possible hostility from whites...because where they come from their city was so segregated that the predominantly white areas are probably consider racist and hostel toward blacks or minorities in general....and that's understandable

But when someone white comes on here say "Less Diverse" meaning majority white in my head as a AA person, I take away that person probably has a problem living around minorities....What other reason would "Whites" have with not wanting to live around minorities.

Affluent area is something totally different from "Less Diverse".....Hell I only want to live in the more Affluent Neighborhoods, regardless if the majority of my neighbors are White, Asian, Blacks, LGBT or whatever that's not a "Criteria" for me....

Maybe if you were actually AA you'd understand how peoples words can come off a certain way whether its the way they intend it to or not.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:28 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,146,215 times
Quote:
The city's most diverse neighborhood (Squirrel Hill) is still over 82% white.
Squirrel Hill is far from the city's most diverse neighborhood. Just off the top of my head (and despite ferrarisnowday's assertion that it's a majority black), Mt. Oliver is about 60% white and 40% black. The Mexican War Streets are a relatively even split. East Liberty is increasingly more diverse than Squirrel Hill. Highland Park almost certainly is. Arlington probably is. I think Hazelwood and Knoxville each have like a 20% white population. Allentown. Manchester. Elliott. The list goes on.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepacifist20130 View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the wonderful suggestions so far.

So what I understand is that Pittsburgh is predominantly white and most neighbouthoods suggested would fulfill that criteria.

My plan right now is to look at squirrel hill, shadyside if I can get something decent. If not, I am just gonna take up a short term lease in Taylor ridge and take it from there.

Unless someone has better suggestions????? Please :-)
Let me ask why is an area being predominantly white a criteria for you.....shouldn't an area being Affluent be enough?

I'm just not understanding this, I mean if you're not racist?

Old 03-07-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Squirrel Hill is far from the city's most diverse neighborhood. Just off the top of my head (and despite ferrarisnowday's assertion that it's a majority black), Mt. Oliver is about 60% white and 40% black. The Mexican War Streets are a relatively even split. East Liberty is increasingly more diverse than Squirrel Hill. Highland Park almost certainly is. Arlington probably is. I think Hazelwood and Knoxville each have like a 20% white population. Allentown. Manchester. Elliott. The list goes on.
Diverse and Affluent yes Squirrel Hill is Pittsburgh's top neighborhood....Highland Park is mostly white and blacks.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh