Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:54 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times

Advertisements

Transplant Pittsburghers: Do you feel you drive less in Pittsburgh?

Also, where are you comparing it to?

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 03-14-2012 at 12:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 05:19 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,009,142 times
Depends on where/when I compare it to. Currently we put something like 60 miles a week on our cars, for school dropoffs, shopping trips, getting to kid events, and so forth.

Previously, I've lived without a car, lived in places you couldn't go anywhere without a car, lived in places I didn't need a car daily but used one to make long-distance road trips every other weekend . . . so it depends.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:13 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,298,376 times
We came from FL where you're tied to your car, and since we moved we drive even more if that's possible. The difference is that while in FL we used to drive 30 miles in 30 minutes, here we barely drive 8 miles in 30 minutes because the roads are much smaller, and not really appropriate for the type of traffic that exists here. (Two lane roads packed with buses, trucks, utility vehicles, and many, many cars.)

I was actually hoping we would drive less here...BUT it didn't happen. I came to the conclusion that if anyone is truly looking to walk, they need to live in NYC.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:27 AM

733 posts, read 986,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
We came from FL where you're tied to your car, and since we moved we drive even more if that's possible. The difference is that while in FL we used to drive 30 miles in 30 minutes, here we barely drive 8 miles in 30 minutes because the roads are much smaller, and not really appropriate for the type of traffic that exists here. (Two lane roads packed with buses, trucks, utility vehicles, and many, many cars.)

I was actually hoping we would drive less here...BUT it didn't happen. I came to the conclusion that if anyone is truly looking to walk, they need to live in NYC.
Do you live in the city or the suburbs?

I drive way, way less here. I put 6,000 miles on my car in the last two years combined, haha, and a large portion of those were road trips. But, I've lived in the city, so I can ride my bike or catch a bus. When I lived in Bloomfield, Oakland and East Liberty I walked most places, including grocery shopping.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:32 AM

We live in Mt. Lebanon...and between all the errands we run with the kids, weekend trips, downtown trips, passed downtown trips...it ads up, my car went over 100k, but in FL we'd put 20k miles in less than a year.
My most annoying drive is from here to that West Mifflin area or that Century mall...I went to Robinson once and noticed that the speed on 79 was listed at 70, but everyone was doing 55! (no construction)

In FL my daily minimum speed was 65! I do miss that.

PS The other thing that makes traffic take longer here, is that most folks are unaware there are other people behind them, and think they can decide how many of us will pass lights on green! I don't know what they're doing, but if everyone would pay attention to stop lights, the traffic would move better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
Do you live in the city or the suburbs?

I drive way, way less here. I put 6,000 miles on my car in the last two years combined, haha, and a large portion of those were road trips. But, I've lived in the city, so I can ride my bike or catch a bus. When I lived in Bloomfield, Oakland and East Liberty I walked most places, including grocery shopping.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:44 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,671,598 times
i moved here from nyc, i definitely drive more here since i didn't drive there at all. i had the opportunity to get a decent car for free when i lived there and it was more hassle than it was worth.

i take the bus to and from work but for the most part i drive everywhere else (unless it's walking or biking distance).

Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 AM

733 posts, read 986,924 times
Quote:
My most annoying drive is from here to that West Mifflin area or that Century mall...I went to Robinson once and noticed that the speed on 79 was listed at 70, but everyone was doing 55! (no construction)
Hahaha, I feel for you. I loathe driving out to Robinson! Granted, I don't like driving in the first place, so I may be a special case. Honestly, driving out through the South Hills, out to Robinson, up to Cranberry on a Saturday afternoon--any of those tend to make me pretty frustrated. I can handle Monroeville, but I'm pretty sure that's just because Monroeville is so dead these days that nobody really goes there, hahaha.

This is why I just crawl around inside the city.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 AM

I absolute hate driving as well coming from Europe where I didn't have to drive a minute in my life! Bus came every 5 minutes...subway on every corner, trolleys etc etc ...But I really think that if everyone would just respect the traffic laws/signs/courtesies, traffic here would improve considerably. Won't be perfect with the multiplications of cars etc, but at least it would MOVE. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
Hahaha, I feel for you. I loathe driving out to Robinson! Granted, I don't like driving in the first place, so I may be a special case. Honestly, driving out through the South Hills, out to Robinson, up to Cranberry on a Saturday afternoon--any of those tend to make me pretty frustrated. I can handle Monroeville, but I'm pretty sure that's just because Monroeville is so dead these days that nobody really goes there, hahaha.

This is why I just crawl around inside the city.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:16 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
Quote:
I went to Robinson once and noticed that the speed on 79 was listed at 70, but everyone was doing 55!
Not possible.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Since when is the speed limit 70mph anywhere near Robinson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh