Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 PM

783 posts, read 2,023,308 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that lives in Hempfield and got a job offer for an accounting firm that will pay him twice what he currently makes...but it's off of Rt.19 in Peters Twp/USC area. I've talked to several people about this and they all agree that there is some secret backroad that will get him there in less than an hour. They just know it's there, but I've looked on the map and cannot find it. The closest is a road that will take him from Rt.30 to Rt.51 near Rostraver airport, then take 51 north, across the Elizabeth bridge, go west on 837 to Finleyville Rd, then take Valleybrook to Rt. 19. This seems pretty ugly. Any other suggestions? His navigation system has him taking Rt.30 to the parkway into the city, then through the liberty tunnels and south on Rt.51, then south on rt.19. That seems like a disaster with all the lights on 30, 51, and 19, not to mention traffic heading downtown. The only other option is the turnpike south to 70, then take 79 north to North Strabane, then take rt.19 north. Again, none of this sounds like it will be an hour commute or less. Suggestions, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 01:52 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,592,659 times
Unfortunately, there's really no quickest way to get to Peters Twp from the Hempfield area. Technically the 376 way is the fastest if you get on the turnpike in Irwin and then get on the Parkway in Monroeville, one thing I would not suggest though is taking Route 30 from Greensburg to Forest Hills as that adds another 20 minutes to your commute with all the lights and traffic. If this is a late night commute, then I'd cut about 10-15 minutes from that time estimate.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:24 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
I have a friend that lives in Hempfield and got a job offer for an accounting firm that will pay him twice what he currently makes...but it's off of Rt.19 in Peters Twp/USC area. I've talked to several people about this and they all agree that there is some secret backroad that will get him there in less than an hour. They just know it's there, but I've looked on the map and cannot find it. The closest is a road that will take him from Rt.30 to Rt.51 near Rostraver airport, then take 51 north, across the Elizabeth bridge, go west on 837 to Finleyville Rd, then take Valleybrook to Rt. 19. This seems pretty ugly. Any other suggestions? His navigation system has him taking Rt.30 to the parkway into the city, then through the liberty tunnels and south on Rt.51, then south on rt.19. That seems like a disaster with all the lights on 30, 51, and 19, not to mention traffic heading downtown. The only other option is the turnpike south to 70, then take 79 north to North Strabane, then take rt.19 north. Again, none of this sounds like it will be an hour commute or less. Suggestions, please?
From New Stanton, take Route 70 to Exit 27. Take Brownlee Rd to Route 519 to Route 19. Google Maps says it is about 48 minutes from New Stanton to the Route 19 area of Peter's Twp.
http://maps.google.com/maps?num=100&...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Google Maps also suggests Route 43 to Finleyville, Venetia and McMurray. It estimates 52 minutes for this route.

The Parkway East would be a horrendous commute during rush hour. After getting to the Parkway, sitting on the Parkway at the Squirrel Hill Tunnel, you have about a 12 mile drive on Route 19S though the South Hill. My guess is you could not make this drive during rush hour in less than 1:45. You could avoid Route 19S by staying on the Parkway West and taking Route 79. The problem with this is there is no convenient access to Route 19 in Peter's Twp.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:10 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,694,042 times
If you are looking for a "backroad," Route 136 (West Netwon Road) gets you over to that area. However, I think that the highway route recommended by Village would be faster.

You can play around with various routes on Google maps. Just drag the blue line to customize your route and get a sense of travel times using various roads/highways.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:29 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
I've talked to several people about this and they all agree that there is some secret backroad that will get him there in less than an hour.
Why won't they tell you that route?

Old 03-31-2012, 08:49 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Because it'll take them 5 seconds more time to drive if they tell another person.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:24 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,991,741 times
Quote:
I have a friend that lives in Hempfield and got a job offer for an accounting firm that will pay him twice what he currently makes...but it's off of Rt.19 in Peters Twp/USC area. I've talked to several people about this and they all agree that there is some secret backroad that will get him there in less than an hour...... His navigation system has him taking Rt.30 to the parkway into the city, then through the liberty tunnels and south on Rt.51, then south on rt.19. That seems like a disaster with all the lights on 30, 51, and 19, not to mention traffic heading downtown. The only other option is the turnpike south to 70, then take 79 north to North Strabane, then take rt.19 north. Again, none of this sounds like it will be an hour commute or less. Suggestions, please?
I used to commute regularly from the USC/MtLebo line to DC, and it takes one hour, give or take 5 minutes, in morning traffic to get to the New Stanton interchange regardless what route I took.

Since it's about 10 minutes from my house to Waterdam Plaza, I think if your friend can get to the New Stanton interchange in 10 minutes, he could do Peters in about an hour via 70 to Brownlee (which turns into PA519) or 70 to PA43 (toll) and get off at Finleyville, local backroads from there, depending on where the job is in Peters.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:12 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,019,473 times
That sounds absolutely grueling.

But twice the pay is twice the pay. Taking 70 to 43 seems like TCR.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I dont think they really knew. Several people just believe there is a backroad that goes there, but they aren't sure what the road is called. I looked on a map and don't believe there is one. Some people around here believe that all these belts and backroads will take you anywhere you want to go.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
If you are looking for a "backroad," Route 136 (West Netwon Road) gets you over to that area. However, I think that the highway route recommended by Village would be faster.

You can play around with various routes on Google maps. Just drag the blue line to customize your route and get a sense of travel times using various roads/highways.
I kind of like this suggestion. Actually, I was looking at Clay Pike, but 136 seems to go directly to Rt.19. Google says this route is pushing 50 miles and an hour and a half, but I know google maps is way off on their route times, plus I doubt there would be many lights on traffic on this route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh