Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,322 times

Advertisements

I am starting at Bettis in the next few months and need to find an apartment in the area. I have a fair amount of student loans which I would like to pay off asap so I'm hoping to keep my rent around $1,000 or less (rent + basic utilities). Eventually, my girlfriend will be moving in with me and she is a graduate student at Pitt so we want to have easy access to both Bettis and Pitt. I am looking to avoid heavy work traffic to keep my commute to work as short as possible. Her schedule, as a graduate student, is much more flexible so relative proximity is important but she won't be traveling through heavy work traffic. From previous threads I have read it sounds like Brentwood might be a good location but I wanted to check in here for other advice.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 03:24 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Regent Square. Probably the best desirable neighborhood that fits within your price range and would provide a reasonable commute for the two of you.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 03-29-2012 at 03:41 PM..

Old 03-29-2012, 04:08 PM

42 posts, read 74,509 times
Congrats on the job at Bettis, what will you be doing? My wife and I have both been working there since December and are loving it. I cant help you much with location since I am new to Pittsburgh, but if Bettis is putting you up in a hotel for a while it should give you some time to find a good location for you and your girlfriend.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmarc View Post
Congrats on the job at Bettis, what will you be doing? My wife and I have both been working there since December and are loving it. I cant help you much with location since I am new to Pittsburgh, but if Bettis is putting you up in a hotel for a while it should give you some time to find a good location for you and your girlfriend.

Thank you . I will be starting as an associate electrical engineer once I get done with all the paperwork. My girlfriend is a first year graduate student at Pitt so I can visit the area for a while. I just wasn't sure where to start looking so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I've heard that Bettis is a great place to work and I'm very excited to get started.

Thanks HeavenWood for the tip on Regent Square! I will look for some apartments in that area online before driving through.

*Edit*
I looked at the location of Regent Square and I see that I would have to cross a river to get to work every day. I'm not sure how traffic is in the Pittsburgh area but I was concerned that a bridge would be a bottleneck during the commute to work. Is it safe to assume that I wouldn't see long delays during my morning / evening commute? Thanks again for the quick replies. I wasn't expecting to hear back from anyone so soon after posting!

Last edited by ITFK; 03-29-2012 at 07:08 PM..

Old 03-29-2012, 09:43 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITFK View Post
I looked at the location of Regent Square and I see that I would have to cross a river to get to work every day. I'm not sure how traffic is in the Pittsburgh area but I was concerned that a bridge would be a bottleneck during the commute to work. Is it safe to assume that I wouldn't see long delays during my morning / evening commute? Thanks again for the quick replies. I wasn't expecting to hear back from anyone so soon after posting!
Either you or your wife will have to cross a bridge to get to where you need to go. I understand that it makes more sense that you have the easier commute. The problem is that the places on the other side of the river that would be convenient for both of you are pretty undesirable.

The one exception would be the apartments located at the Waterfront (a giant shopping complex) in Homestead. However, a one bedroom would be a bit beyond your price range (more in the $1100-$1200 ballpark). But if you're willing to stretch your budget a little, it's definitely worth considering. It's not charming like Regent Square, but there's something to be said for having every kind of retail store literally at your fingertips.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:37 AM

14 posts, read 22,975 times
I live in Brentwood and think that the commute would be pretty good for both you and your girlfriend. Traffic moves pretty smoothly on the Glenwood Bridge and Hot Metal Bridge to/from Oakland, and your commute to West Mifflin would be a breeze. Brentwood has lots of older homes with charm but not many nice-looking apartment complexes. If you need to rent, how about finding something on the South Side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh