Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 11:44 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Eventually, and probably sooner rather than later, we will have to go through security to ride the trains as well as to fly.
That's not what they do in countries with HSR, and it doesn't really make sense. It is a lot harder to kill the people on a train, and they can't be used as missiles.

Quote:
Fewer delays? I don't think so! My in-laws came out here (Denver) from Omaha. The arrived many hours late (I don't remember how many now), on an 8 hour trip! I traveled a lot by train as a kid, ironically from Beaver Falls to Milwaukee via Chicago to visit my mom's side of the family. We experienced many a delay.
That is all because of the ridiculously poor state of US passenger rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 11:55 AM

632 posts, read 1,071,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That's not what they do in countries with HSR, and it doesn't really make sense. It is a lot harder to kill the people on a train, and they can't be used as missiles.

I work in locomotive/rail business - and the reason for the delays is usually becuase Amtrak/Passenger rail has to defer to freight trains. If a freight train is using the same track and approaching a passenger rail it is required to pull over at the next possible point...causing all sorts of delays. There's hardly any dedicated passenger rail track. Freight always has right of way.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:12 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
If PA merely has to pony up funds for roughly 50 miles of rail in PA itself, in order to connect to that entire Midwestern network, I'd say it's worth it.
I'd say it would be more worthwhile to pony up for 50 miles in the other direction, leaving the cleveland route at 79 mph

Old 04-12-2012, 12:23 PM

57 posts, read 110,284 times
Another angle that I don't believe was mentioned is the increased strain in ridership at the Chicago Airports. This proposal would slow the increase in air traffic at Chicago. Let the planes fly to cities outside of this area and use rail to connect these closer cities.

There could be 3 types of travel in the US city - to - city.

Closest: Car or train. 0 - 400ish miles (Chicago - Pittsburgh as the crow flies)
Mid-range: train or plane. (200 - 600ish miles (Chicago - Atlanta as the crow flies)
Long-range: plane. (west coast is roughly 1800 miles away from Chicago)

These three radii will determine which types of transit people would choose. It would help out so much traffic at airports.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:29 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I'd say it would be more worthwhile to pony up for 50 miles in the other direction, leaving the cleveland route at 79 mph
There is no reason to believe it would have to be an either/or issue. These are complementary, not competitive, notions.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:38 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
It wouldn't terminate at Cleveland, though. If it offers quick access to 20+ other Midwestern cities, it's worthwhile in my opinion.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Unless things have changed, some of it is because freight is given priority.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:51 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
There is no reason to believe it would have to be an either/or issue. These are complementary, not competitive, notions.
this is the exact opposite of the position you're taking in the other thread.

if funds are scarce, then yes, it is either or. it simply is better to have a faster connection east than west since traffic is oriented east as has been seen by megabus and is proven out in just about every piece of data you've ever posted. add to the fact that the run to cleveland isn't that bad now, there's far more room for improvement going east with higher rewards.
btw is that fort wayne bullet train reusing the old broadway?
it just boggle smy mind that anyone would advocate building a fort wayne bullet train over connecting pittsburgh to the nec but everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:

Re: Par.1:

This is where I'm coming from:

Senate Tries to Improve Railroad Security Without Breaking the Budget | GantDaily.com

Plus, I have read about proposals (maybe proposals for proposals) to have rail passengers go through some type of security. Can't find you a cite right now.

Re: #2: My experiences took place in the 50s and 60s. Rail travel has a long history of shoddy service.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-12-2012 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjs65 View Post
Another angle that I don't believe was mentioned is the increased strain in ridership at the Chicago Airports. This proposal would slow the increase in air traffic at Chicago. Let the planes fly to cities outside of this area and use rail to connect these closer cities.

There could be 3 types of travel in the US city - to - city.

Closest: Car or train. 0 - 400ish miles (Chicago - Pittsburgh as the crow flies)
Mid-range: train or plane. (200 - 600ish miles (Chicago - Atlanta as the crow flies)
Long-range: plane. (west coast is roughly 1800 miles away from Chicago)

These three radii will determine which types of transit people would choose. It would help out so much traffic at airports.
Well, Pittsburgh International doesn't need that kind of help. And how would train fare compare with air fare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh