Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 02:35 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibyl_vain View Post
Contacted Tim Favo but he doesn't have anything available...
Contacted Oakmont Landings and the only thing they have is a little over budget (our budget is about $1000/month but if we can find a little less that would be ok)...
I used to live in Moscow, Russia, where it often takes 2 hours to drive 2 miles...so I am not overly worried about traffic. I have a little kid so I'd like to be able to step outside and go for a walk without having to get in the car... I was interested in Oakmont but can't seem to find anything, sigh
Call Fox Chapel Real Estate. They have a ton of rentals and not just in Aspinwall. They might know of something or have something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 02:36 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
One of my coworkers who grew up in Monroeville said Pitcairn isn't as bad as you would expect, although it has a semi-bad reputation because it was/is a mill town.

He lives in Edgewood now, which actually is pretty walkable. I didn't think Edgewood had many rentals, but he says there are a fair amount. Probably a lot cheaper than Oakmont as well.
Their budget is $1000 a month. Pitcairn? I think they can do better.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 PM

37 posts, read 73,207 times
Have not been to Pitcairn but according to Get Your Walk Score - Find Walkable Apartments and Rentals it is 45/100 walkable, or "car-dependent." Oakmont is 89/100 or "very walkable," which might be bogus but I don't have much else to go by.
Can't seem to find houses for rent...tried some on craigslist which were fake. I will try the other suggested realtor.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:25 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Perhaps you missed this:
As usual, you aren't much help except for belittling other members who try to help other members recall what's already been stated.

The poster is very much a waste of time like reading a never ending novel.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
As usual, you aren't much help except for belittling other members who try to help other members recall what's already been stated.

The poster is very much a waste of time like reading a never ending novel.
LMAO!

Old 06-30-2012, 06:16 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
OP, I'd urge to consider aggressively pursuing Oakmont. I just think that is the only suburb near Monroeville that would truly fit your needs (and your price point). While h_curtis is correct that the commute from Aspinwall to Monroeville also isn't a terrible choice Aspinwall is also certainly a bit more expensive (due to the higher reputation of the Fox Chapel Area School District and an even more limited housing supply than Oakmont) and has a much smaller business district than Oakmont. If you want proximity to both Oakland and Monroeville, a location outside of the city, and walkability, then Oakmont and Aspinwall are really your two best bets. Regent Square spans four different communities (including the city proper) and is another option. The business district is very small, just like Aspinwall, but you'll also be located right next to Frick Park, which is the city's best park (in my opinion). You'll also be a two-minute drive from a shopping center with a gym, grocery store, Applebee's, Taco Bell, PNC Bank (Pittsburgh's best bank, in my opinion), GNC, and more.

My suggestions:

1.) Oakmont
2.) Aspinwall
3.) Regent Square (the Edgewood part is the nicest, in my humble opinion)

I really don't think the Pitcairn suggestion was serious.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:02 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,554 times
I'll put a mention in for Crafton. While it is west, there are lots of good routes east that avoid the Ft Pitt tunnel. Lots of good rentals in crafton too.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:29 AM

42 posts, read 69,391 times
Aspinwall and Oakmont are your best choices. Aspinwall is in Fox Chapel School District (very good, but very expensive) and Oakmont is Riverview School District (An Okay district).

Aspinwall Townhome Rentals (a little expensive/1,150 for a two bed townhome)...
River Oaks Apartments
It is very easy to walk into the rest of Aspinwall and even the Waterworks Mall from here (On a map it looks like you have to cross a highway but you actually just walk on a street under it) Aspinwall is a very nice community with tree lined streets with sidewalks in a great school district...you really get what you pay for.

For Oakmont the only affordable place I could think would be Oakmont Landing and you already called them. Oakmont is also very walkable, like Aspinwall.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:12 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Let me just reiterate that the Regent Square area, if you can find an apartment, is both easier access to Monroeville (directly by a highway onramp) and probably a bit cheaper than Oakmont as well due to the comparably "bad" local schools - although it's otherwise very safe and probably exactly what you're looking for.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:40 AM

198 posts, read 421,994 times
check out Holiday Park Apartments 80 Sandune Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15239. they might have a two bedroom in your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh