Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:27 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times

Advertisements

Spinoff of an old thread, I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on building a new construction SFH in the City of Pittsburgh. Where are good places for this? Is it inherently more difficult to obtain building permits in the city than in the suburbs? Is it legal to have an in-ground pool within city limits? Am I crazy for even having this thought?

I've seen a few people lately speak to the idea that modern interiors in historical homes are an atrocity. But what about a modern exterior with a modern interior? Something that might fit in well with it's neighbors but also be a sign of the times when it was constructed?

For reference, I'm personally thinking of something like this, except probably half to a third the size:

Urban and Modern: The Cortland Residence by Nicholas Clark Architects | Freshome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 11:32 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
New Homestead would probably be a good neighborhood for new SFH construction.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:34 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
The problem is finding a lot. The city does offer some for sale. For the most part they aren't in the trendy neighborhoods. A few years ago I spoke with someone who built a new house in the Hill District on a lot that they owned.

Also, an architect was "advertising" on craigslist plans for infill housing in a dense urban area.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:35 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
Westwood saw a lot of new SFH construction a few years ago.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:41 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
I like mixing quality modern design into older neighborhoods.

I don't know about the process, but I know it has been done, and I think any decent architect and contractor should be able to handle it.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:55 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
I think a new modern house was just built on South Highland in Highland Park. Although it might not be as modern as the one the OP posted.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:03 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
I've seen a couple one-offs in Lawrenceville on the slope. They obviously had to get two plots together to do it.

The one on 44th Street is a suburban-looking monstrosity that I boggle got past zoning, since it does not touch the rowhouses on either side, and has a suburban-style setback.

The one on 38th Street was built by a local architect as a personal residence, and it's modern and quite nice, although it's again put too far back on the property.

There's another new one in Lower Lawrenceville on the slope I just discovered last week. It doesn't come together very well and I hate the first-floor carport. It looks like it belongs somewhere on the far western side of San Francisco, not Pittsburgh.

I don't know why people don't just infill a rowhouse neighborhood with ROWHOUSES! If you don't like the architectural style, move elsewhere.

Last edited by eschaton; 06-29-2012 at 01:48 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 01:38 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I don't know why people don't just infill a rowhouse neighborhood with ROWHOUSES! If you don't like the architectural style, move elsewhere.
Lol. Yeah it would make the most sense, even if you wanted to go the route of something more unique, it could still be a rowhouse.

I'm thinking more along the lines of SFH in a neighborhood of existing SFHs that are older, potentially very old, potentially by tearing down a house that isn't historical or able to be rehabbed at a reasonable cost.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:48 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I think a new modern house was just built on South Highland in Highland Park. Although it might not be as modern as the one the OP posted.
Yeah, one was built there. There have been some new construction in the better areas, like Highland Park, Squirrel Hill and Shadyside, but not much in the bad areas like East Liberty. That is all subsidized stuff and no one is going to invest in single homes next to that kind of housing. Maybe high-rises with armed guards at the door?

Old 06-29-2012, 04:38 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,883 times
H Curtis is wrong again!!! There has been more new construction OWNER OCCUPIED housing in east liberty in the last few years than hp and Shadyside combined. Sq hill has summerset at Frick which is totally different.

The new construction that don c built on highland in highland park was because he and his wife lived 2 blocks away in the alpha terrace section of east liberty. That's the only new construction in hp in the last 10 years that I can think of.

They wanted to stay in the area and to build something new and modern.

There are about 20-30 vacant lots in east liberty that will eventually have new houses. Likely in the 300k+ range. They are controlled by east liberty development.

I say go for it but allow for an extra 10k for engineers and extra excavating in case the ground foundation is bad aka full of trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh