Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 08:37 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
All the huge square houses around Highland Park are the basically the McMansions of the 1900s.
Not really comparable as very little if anything that Maronda homes builds will be standing in a century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I'm former urban folk and still have family urban folk. Like most everything, it's all in who does the work and what one expects out of it. If one wants perfection all one has to do is pay for it. I've never been in what I would consider a perfect house in the city, either, but many would like to believe otherwise. And again, I also don't see any boarded up, dilapidated, ready to fall over, etc..., out here either.
I think you're hilarious. You clearly do not understand how these homes are built, how the builders are paid, or why it renders what you're saying to be laughably incorrect.

You're right in a sense. If one wants perfection all they have to do is pay for it...and pay for it...and pay for it...and continue paying for it to keep the home in something resembling decent shape because it isn't nearly as well built as anything that was put up a century ago.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:44 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Not really comparable as very little if anything that Maronda homes builds will be standing in a century.
Now that's hilarious.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I think you're hilarious. You clearly do not understand how these homes are built, how the builders are paid, or why it renders what you're saying to be laughably incorrect.

You're right in a sense. If one wants perfection all they have to do is pay for it...and pay for it...and pay for it...and continue paying for it to keep the home in something resembling decent shape because it isn't nearly as well built as anything that was put up a century ago.
I understand that for some reason city folk don't like that people choose to live in the burbs rather than the city and spend their $$$ how they please. I also understand that as much as many would like to see the McMansions fall as fast as they were built, but in the end, it's not going to happen. And I know you nor anybody else would ever wager against it, but like to theorize the possibility of it happening.

Last edited by erieguy; 03-30-2015 at 10:05 PM..

Old 03-30-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Now that's hilarious.
Maronda sets a special standard in terms of low quality. If you knew anything about what you're trying to discuss in this thread, you would know that.

I've worked in these homes. I've seen the early signs of structural issues. You have not. Like everything else that you discuss on these forums you are talking out of your butt.

Some builders are worse than others, Maronda is one of those. All of them do a rush job and cut corners to some extent. They have to in order to get paid to move to each successive stage of the project. More information that you are not privy to.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:56 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Quote:

I spent my adult life studying and mastering construction and home building, I am guessing you don't understand how build quality has changes though out the years. Anyone who makes that statement is not using fact. The finishes maybe more appealing, but for the most part built quality is inferior.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Maronda sets a special standard in terms of low quality. If you knew anything about what you're trying to discuss in this thread, you would know that.

I've worked in these homes. I've seen the early signs of structural issues. You have not. Like everything else that you discuss on these forums you are talking out of your butt.

Some builders are worse than others, Maronda is one of those. All of them do a rush job and cut corners to some extent. They have to in order to get paid to move to each successive stage of the project. More information that you are not privy to.
Lol. I've lived in one in Cranberry for the last 15+ years and before that Wexford.

I would love to see your proof of "talking out my butt".

Old 03-30-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I understand that it burns city folk up for some reason that people choose to live in the burbs and spend their $$$ how they please. I also understand that as much as many would like to see the McMansions fall as fast as they were built, but in the end, it's not going to happen. And I know you nor anybody else would ever wager against it, but like to theorize it happening.
I know of a 20 yr old 2.7 million dollar home that will be bulldozed by the end of the year because rather than build elsewhere the owners decided to build a new home on the other side of the driveway in their subdivision.

Its none of my business when people waste resources because we all live in our individual vacuum, unaffected by the decisions of others. The cost/quality of lumber, gasoline, food, natural gas, water, electricity, for me isn't influenced by the habits of others. {tongue firmly planted in cheek}

If someone wants to live in a poorly built taupe subdivision with a yard that looks like a golf course, and the same internal layout of their neighbor's house its really none of my business. I honestly do not care about their personal preferences differing from mine.

However, you're wrong with your little wager. Each housing plan has a life span, both in terms of the quality of the structure and the appeal of the neighborhood to prospective buyers. The primary quality that these homes have for people who fixate on keeping up with the Jones's is that they are new, and new has a very short shelf life.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Lol. I've lived in one in Cranberry for the last 15+ years and before that Wexford.

I would love to see your proof of "talking out my butt".
Wow. 2 whole homes compared to the thousands I've been in....and you've even relocated to bigger/better/newer.

I rest my case. Thank you for proving my point for me.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:09 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,013 times
[SIZE=3]Unburying Bits of Rubbish: Deconstruction of the Victorian Suburban Ideal[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh