Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 06:59 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,456 times

Advertisements

I've been an active participant on C-D Pittsburgh now for a few months. I have enjoyed the time I spent online and particularly on this forum. I think the participants are friendly, intelligent, caring, and civic minded people. I think the reason I spend so much time here is because it connects me to my past and possibly my future.

Now with that being said, one pleasant aspect of so many of these threads is as how conversations digress into the topic of food. We can be discussing a neighborhood and someone will suggest eating at such and such restaurant. Airport traffic can be up and the only place to eat at after 7:00 is McDonalds. A certain neighborhood is considered walkable and we talk about a bakery, deli, bar with 1,000 beers and Mexican food that is eatable. We watch baseball and notice the fans eating instead of the balls and strikes. I asked about pizza and the thread was the top three for 6 weeks. I had so many suggestions that I'm now planning 2 more trips just to eat pizza. I suggested going out to one of the locations recommended and the people I was with demanded we go to other places. I bet we discussed pizza for at least 2 hours.

I think it's wonderful, but do you think people in Pittsburgh a preoccupied with food? If so, why do you think that is? I have my own thoughts on the topic that I'll share as this thread develops.

Last edited by eccotecc; 07-20-2012 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 07:08 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post

I think it's wonderful, but do you think people in Pittsburgh a preoccupied with food?
No, silly!
Everyone knows that Pittsburghers are preoccupied with the Steelers!

Old 07-20-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No, silly!
Everyone knows that Pittsburghers are preoccupied with the Steelers!
HaHaHa Pitt Chick,

The food thread caught your eye quick enough. I'm glad you're a Steeler fan.

What is your favorite food ? I bet you know when and where the hilltop Greek Orthodox Churches are making perogies.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:35 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
I don't think this is unique to Pittsburgh. Pretty much everyone is more attuned to food these days. Reality shows have a lot to do with that IMO - Iron Chef, No Reservations, DD&D, etc. etc. A whole lot of food programming that didn't exist 10 years ago.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I don't think this is unique to Pittsburgh. Pretty much everyone is more attuned to food these days. Reality shows have a lot to do with that IMO - Iron Chef, No Reservations, DD&D, etc. etc. A whole lot of food programming that didn't exist 10 years ago.
sskink,

I have to agree to a point. I recently visited Big Jim's and had my picture taken next to the autographed photo of Guy Fieri.
I'm sure there's more to it than folks watching the food channel. Could it be that many Pittsburghers were raised on ethnic home cooking? Could it be many are comparing the food they get at restaurants to the food they got at grandma's house?
Could it be since Pittsburghers are generally social and friendly that sharing a good meal is a venue for an enjoyable experience?

Old 07-20-2012, 08:57 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
HaHaHa Pitt Chick,

The food thread caught your eye quick enough. I'm glad you're a Steeler fan.

What is your favorite food ? I bet you know when and where the hilltop Greek Orthodox Churches are making perogies.
Steelers... meh.
DH has season Steeler tickets and we never go.... others want them more.

I am more the Penguin fan than anything else.

Favorite food? Well, I like far too many places to pick a fave.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Steelers... meh.
DH has season Steeler tickets and we never go.... others want them more.

I am more the Penguin fan than anything else.

Favorite food? Well, I like far too many places to pick a fave.
So what do you find unique about eating out in Pittsburgh? Is it the quality of the food, the experience of getting out, or the convenience?

Old 07-20-2012, 10:03 PM

567 posts, read 1,161,904 times
From my experience, whenever friends come home to Pittsburgh to visit, I think it's tradition that you eat an extraordinary amount of food with your family, at least. It's a family thing. Mothers want you to eat. You're too skinny.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
From my experience, whenever friends come home to Pittsburgh to visit, I think it's tradition that you eat an extraordinary amount of food with your family, at least. It's a family thing. Mothers want you to eat. You're too skinny.

ctoocheck,

I've recently experienced that.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:53 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I don't think it is unique to Pittsburgh. Eating is something people do several times each day. People in the United States are also increasingly interested in incorporating variety into their regular eating habits. So people all over the United States are using Internet conversations as an opportunity to share tips on places to shop, restaurants to try, recipes, and so on.

If anything has changed in Pittsburgh in particular, it is just that there is a lot more worth talking about these days (more interesting shopping options, a lot more interesting restaurants opening, and so forth).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh