Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 07:27 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,830,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Of the places where I have lived, Pittsburgh has the best balance of self-confidence and non-arrogance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 07:31 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,808,875 times
Arrogance is not the same as rivalry!

Old 07-21-2012, 09:21 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,979,900 times
I currently live in a gateway community to Yosemite National Park in California. Just the other day a friend an I were coming back from fishing the Merced River and decided to stop for lunch in town. As soon as we parked we saw a guy with a Primanti's t-shirt on. I stopped the guy and asked him if he was from Pittsburgh. He was and recently was back home for a visit. We had a brief conversation and he told me he also lives in the area. To make a long story short, after being away from Pittsburgh for 40 years, I still consider myself a Pittsburgher. I'm proud of the city and the neighborhood I was raised in. I owe much to the city for the person I am and to my relative success.

Last edited by eccotecc; 07-21-2012 at 09:46 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 08:30 AM

111 posts, read 131,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
In Pittsburgh you either have somebody that loves it, or somebody that hates it and complains about how they can't wait to move to Charlotte.
Omg, I want to move to Charlotte ... HOW DID YOU KNOW?!?! lol

Quote:
Of the places where I have lived, Pittsburgh has the best balance of self-confidence and non-arrogance.
I don't know about that ... probably the only real issue I've had with the people in Pittsburgh is the arrogance of how great they think this city is. I totally agree with having pride in your city (I will always have a love-hate thing with Jax, Fl), but I have met a fair number of people here who take it too seriously IMO. I just stay away from those types and hang around people with more balanced views lol.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:16 PM

9,367 posts, read 13,030,949 times
Quote:
I think it's good to be proud of where one lives, it's only a problem when it tips over into arrogance. I don't see that as being a problem in Pittsburgh. Of the places where I have lived, Pittsburgh has the best balance of self-confidence and non-arrogance.
I agree with this. PGH's rivalries are primarily sports-based anyway, making such rivalries more tongue-in-cheek and playful for most people, hyper-fanatics aside.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:58 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,515,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i have to say ive heard across-the-board 'hate' (or, dislike) from three kinds of people:

1) students at either Pitt or CMU - at one time, i read in a Pitt new students brochure that the university is located in "Oakland, PA". this speaks volumes. like, get out of Oakland, PA and meet people. there is life way beyond the university.

2) foreigners. the comparisons to their paradise hometowns in their respective countries of birth are endless. in no way, shape or form can pittsburgh hold a candle to their hometown where people sit aside slow meandering rivers, painting and speaking poetry to their lovers, whilst breaking open fresh bottles of the best wines in the world.

3) the girl/guy who is staring down the age or 30 and is finding it more and more difficult to get laid by hanging out at the bar. mondays are tough as they try to be productive at work after near dehydration from downing a case of Coors both days prior. monday also means serious discomfort with a mean case of the vapors after several pounds of bratwurst are consumed just 14 hours prior during the gridiron battles. gee, are they right - is pittsburgh is a vast wasteland of boredom and drudgery?

Related to your observation #2: I should say that the foreigners love or hate Pittsburgh according to their success in creating a new life for themselves, if why they came here was to create a new life for themsleves.

And of course foreigners who find it difficult to be happy in Pgh relocate much more easily than the natives. The philosophy here is: I changed countries once, changing cities is nothing.

Foreigners who don;t like Pittsburgh don't particulary like american life style. It has nothing to do with the city. Don't be fool into thinking that they will like New York better. Maybe estetically or culturally, not to live there.

In general people from Europe tend to stay temporarily here because the life styles are different from what they are used to that they can't and won't get adjusted to the American ways. Different life styles does not reffer to wine and poetry but things like politics, universal health care, vacation, guns, violence, environment, food, things that are so different in their country of origin from here like night and day.

Most of them, even if they are married to american citizens, won;t apply for citizenship preferring the green card status. This is valid for celebrities like Antonio Banderas (who will never give up Spain) to my British coworker who thinks his mother tongue is somewhat superior to american english or smth like that.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:14 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,527,946 times
ugh..what a boring, cliche, redneck shirt.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:37 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,776,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
ugh..what a boring, cliche, redneck shirt.
And this, I tell you, is the absolute pinnacle of excitement, originality and sophistication!

And so is this, naturally:

If only Pittsburgh could be as worldly as the lands of milk and honey off to the west.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:49 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,564,509 times
Yeah, whatever happened to being clever?

Old 07-26-2012, 03:12 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,776,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Yeah, whatever happened to being clever?
Most people aren't smart enough to be clever or appreciate cleverness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh