Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:41 AM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times

Advertisements

I'm one of those crazy people who loves both of Pennsylvania's principal cities equally (and am hoping I'll be in the position to make a very tough decision with regard to my 2L SAship ).

Given the cities' vastly differing sizes/infrastructures/topography, I would not say their respective suburbs are directly comparable, but there are still quite a few similarities.

Inner Wilkinsburg reminds me of Upper Darby.

There is no cohesive string of wealthy suburbs ala the Main Line, but Lower Merion in particular seems like a hodgepodge of Mt. Lebanon, Upper St. Clair, and Fox Chapel (Fox Chapel is pretty much Gladwyne to a T).

Monroeville compares to King of Prussia.

Large, upscale North Allegheny reminds me of the Council Rock area.

Jenkintown is reminiscent of Edgewood.

McKeesport is similar to Chester.

This is what immediately comes to mind, but I'm sure there are more. What do the rest of you Pittsadelphians think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Wilkinsburg reminds me more of Frankford if Pittsburgh had the proper city boundaries.

Sewickly, reminds me of the Main Line

West Mifflin, Brentwood, Pleasant Hills would be somewhat DelCo.

East Liberty now is like 69th Street with a Washington Sq adjacent in Shadyside...

L'ville is Northern Libs/Old City to a T

Bloomfield is South Philly east of Broad

The Strip is somewhat Italian Market, Reading Term, and Delaware Ave rolled up into one

South Side is South Street and Manayunk Rolled into one

The Hill/North Oakland would about equal North Philly

USC/Mt Lebanon/Dormont is more like City Line Av territory

North Side is Northeast Philly

North Hills is Langhorn, Far Northeast....Mcknight Road = Roosevelt Blvd

Old 03-27-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
USC/Mt Lebanon/Dormont is more like City Line Av territory
Which is also part of the Main Line. Mt. Lebanon shares a lot in common with the Eastern edge of Lower Merion (Bala-Cynwyd through Penn Wynne). Upper St. Clair, which is a bit more spread out and less retail-heavy, reminds me more of Penn Valley and Wynnewood.

I do agree that Sewickley proper (but not immediately the surrounding areas) would fit in as a Main Line town.

I agree the Hill (its topography aside) is like North Philly. North Oakland seems more Mt. Airy-esque, given its more upscale vibe. I would add that Shadyside is a fairly good approximation of Chestnut Hill.

I think East Liberty is what 69th Street could be in time, as the wave of gentrification gradually pushes west of University City. 69th Street has a ways to go before becoming "hip" again.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:29 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
L'ville is Northern Libs/Old City to a T

Bloomfield is South Philly east of Broad

I'd say lville is more like fishtown these days, I don't know that there is an equivalent to old city, maybe the lower hill if it were still around. I'd also say the strip COULD be like the italian market transported to northern liberties. just the sheer amount of open space in both the strip and nl make them similar as well as their proximity to downtown.

the central north side compares to lower north philly fairly well.

mt lebanon definitely could fit in along the main line and i buy monroeville/KoP as well as shadyside/Chestnut hill.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I would add that Shadyside is a fairly good approximation of Chestnut Hill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
as well as shadyside/Chestnut hill.
That's funny I think of Squirrel Hill North/Point Breeze more of the Chestnut Hill....Chestnut Hill isn't as Transient as a Shadyside.

BtW would you agree Friendship/Garfield are good G'town stand in???? Friendship more the Lincoln Dr area, Garfield more the Chelten Ave? except G'town isn't artsy ghetto.....only Artsy/Ghetto I can think of in Philly is Kenso and nothing in Pittsburgh is a Spanish Ghetto...Highland Park also has elements of Chestnut Hill will its Houses and Green Lushness.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:06 PM

461 posts, read 748,928 times
I see the north side of Pittsburgh more as lower north east Philly; and north hills Pittsburgh as upper north east Philly. Mt Airy seems to me like Regent Square or maybe Friendship. I've been gone from Pittsburgh for 15 years, so I'm having to learn the "new" city all over, so I don't have any more comparisons.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
That's funny I think of Squirrel Hill North/Point Breeze more of the Chestnut Hill....Chestnut Hill isn't as Transient as a Shadyside.

BtW would you agree Friendship/Garfield are good G'town stand in???? Friendship more the Lincoln Dr area, Garfield more the Chelten Ave? except G'town isn't artsy ghetto.....only Artsy/Ghetto I can think of in Philly is Kenso and nothing in Pittsburgh is a Spanish Ghetto...Highland Park also has elements of Chestnut Hill will its Houses and Green Lushness.
I think Squirrel Hill and Point Breeze compare to Chestnut Hill as well. The only reason I'd hesitate to include Squirrel Hill is its distinctly Jewish character. There are a fair number of Jews in Chestnut Hill, but it's not at all "characteristically Jewish."

I can see the Friendship-Garfield/Germantown comparison, although I think Friendship errs more on the East Mt. Airy side.

Also, Stanton Heights as Rhawnhurst and/or other Middle Northeastern neighborhoods?

Old 03-27-2012, 06:43 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
I see the north side of Pittsburgh more as lower north east Philly; and north hills Pittsburgh as upper north east Philly. Mt Airy seems to me like Regent Square or maybe Friendship. I've been gone from Pittsburgh for 15 years, so I'm having to learn the "new" city all over, so I don't have any more comparisons.
i was thinking mt airy and regent sq as well. i disagree about the lower northeast. the borthside shares much on common with the same area in philly including period of development. while the war streets arent as expensive as spring garden (philly) they arent that different and the war streets is on its way to becoming similarly desirable. both were home to each citys' well to do managers and owners suring the same period. if by lower northeast you mean frankford, both architecture and trajectory are different. if you mean mayfair, its a postwar working class neighborhood.

bb-its not a perfect comparison. their origins are the same but chestnut hill isnt close to the university area. some neighborhoods compare well while others do not.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:37 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,349,004 times
A tiny bit off topic but still in the spirit of the thread
What would be Pittsburgh's comparable neighborhood to Penns Landing and old city?

Old 03-29-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
A tiny bit off topic but still in the spirit of the thread
What would be Pittsburgh's comparable neighborhood to Penns Landing and old city?
Penns Landing would be Station Square or North Shore.....

Old City is Mex War Streets housing mixed with a Butler Street scene in L'ville if anything...Pittsburgh doesnt have a direct comparison to Old City. MWS can become Pittsburgh's Old City if the Garden Theater Block really becomes a success...

Note: I made a mistake when I said Lville was Old City like...I was thinking more a Fishtown Northern Libs mesh..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh