Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:07 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times

Advertisements

Articles:

Pittsburgh's East End project gets a boost - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quote:
The grant will be used to fund infrastructure at the site, mainly a road that will run parallel to Penn Avenue and connect East Liberty Boulevard and Bakery Square Boulevard.
Bakery Square development expects $2M federal grant for Larimer/East Liberty proposal | TribLIVE

Quote:
Walnut Capital in January intends to begin work on the $120 million development, across Penn Avenue from its Bakery Square complex, by demolishing the former Reizenstein School and other structures on the site, said CEO Gregg Perelman. . . . Perelman said Walnut Capital has secured a tenant for the new complex, but he would not disclose its identity. It’s a local company, he said, but not Google.
That last bit is interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 06:21 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That last bit is interesting.
U.S. Steel?

Old 08-18-2012, 06:56 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
It would be nice if they could renovate and reuse the Reizenstein building for its new use instead of taking it to the ground.

The Reizenstein building is a good example of the architecture of its day and is a bit reminiscient of the work of Frank Lloyd Wright. I understand that the interior has few walls, as it was built for the "open classroom" concept of learning that was the fad in its day- and as such might be more easily converted to a new life and use.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:58 AM

128 posts, read 201,405 times
I assume they are meaning that East Liberty will be extended south-west across Penn and will wrap around the back of the school connecting with Putnam St by the ball field and turning that intersection in to a proper 4 way intersection. Bakery Square Blvd is a parking lot.

What is Bakery Square 1.0's current non-retail occupancy? A spin-off of my organization is moving over there by year's end but it seems to me that there is still plenty of empty space on those upper floors. Walnut seems to me to be doubling down on something that has yet to pay off.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
U.S. Steel?
That would be interesting, but I am thinking something more tech-specific.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
It would be nice if they could renovate and reuse the Reizenstein building for its new use instead of taking it to the ground.
It takes up an awful lot of land, and I personally think it is ugly as sin:

Old 08-18-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madg0at View Post
I assume they are meaning that East Liberty will be extended south-west across Penn and will wrap around the back of the school connecting with Putnam St by the ball field and turning that intersection in to a proper 4 way intersection. Bakery Square Blvd is a parking lot.
Yeah, they are creating a little grid back there:

Quote:
What is Bakery Square 1.0's current non-retail occupancy? A spin-off of my organization is moving over there by year's end but it seems to me that there is still plenty of empty space on those upper floors. Walnut seems to me to be doubling down on something that has yet to pay off.
They claim office leasing has been very strong, and that they have been contacted by prospective tenants that want more space than is currently available, and that they have an anchor tenant already lined up for 2.0.

Personally, I'm also happy to see a residential component in this round, which was lacking in 1.0.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:07 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
I'm liking the idea of Bakery Square 2.0. It will certainly replace one of the ugliest large buildings in the city on a major thoroughfare with an excellent project.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:37 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,828,477 times
Software Institute expanding to Bakery Square - Pittsburgh Business Times

Quote:

Walnut Capital announced Wednesday that it had reached an agreement ago for SEI, which will take 38,000 square feet of office space at Bakery Square.

The institute has 500 employees and in addition to its Pittsburgh headquarters it has offices in Los Angeles, Arlington, Va., and Frankfurt Germany. While no projections were provided on how many people would work at SEI's new office, a 38,000 square foot lease projects to 190 people base on a formula of five employees per 1,000 square feet.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:47 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
EL is setting up nicely become the Tech Center of Pittsburgh....I see more and more tech start ups that Graduate from the Universities in Oakland move on to EL to still have that connection with Oakland talent.

The Three Main Central Business Districts of the Burgh:

Downtown is the Big Business Center

Oakland the Med/Eds Center

East Liberty the Tech Center

I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh