Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times

Advertisements

I have to apologize again for another messagebut since I've done this homework in the past, you might benefit from my exprience.
You might want to look into an appartment/condo as well. Last year I've seen a couple of appt below 80k that have sold in Mt lebanon - which is very nice and safe and probably something that they would like. One was on a condo complex next to the Galleria mall and actually was sold with the furniture and everything in it (estate sale or smth). There are others for sale at a bit higher price behind the fire department in Mt lebo. Over there the condo fee is like 200 per month and it includes gas and electric. Another one was actualy in Castle Shannon close to the shop N save. Man, that unit sold for 69k and very quick. These are 2bd appartments. It is worth keeping an eye on the appartments for sale behind the Mineo pizza in mt lebo. The architecture is exactly New Yorkish and they would surely love it there. They are asking now 100k for a 2 bd over there but that's the asking price. You might get it for 80k.

You can find condos for 80k in the city of Pgh but the condo fees are a killer: 400-600/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 03:29 PM

508 posts, read 888,904 times
Mt. Lebanon was also high on my list but it is slightly out of the price range. I nearly stepped up to the plate with respect to a house on Gilkeson Road. But I was extremely concerned about having them on a "main road." The traffic seemed a bit much. Maybe, the hierarchy (exclusive to the purposes of this discussion and not to besmirch any others) goes a bit like this:

Millvale (entry level and slightly less urban)
Beechview/Overbrook (entry level, some good streets and slightly more urban)
Brookline (mid-level, step up from Beechview and Overbrook)
Dormont (fairly solid)
Oakmont (fairly solid and a bit more suburban)
Greenfield (a more affordable version of Squirrel Hill)
Squirrel Hill (the gold standard in the city)
Mt. Lebanon (the gold standard in the 'burbs)

Recalling a previous participant to this post: Morningside also appeals. A friend of mine said it isn't half bad and there appears to be some kind of business or shopping area. South Side Slopes are definitely high up on the list. Although, there doesn't seem to be much housing stock left there for obvious reasons. Not to mention the parking situation every time I go up by the Monastery is a bit challenging.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:20 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
Beechview and Overbrook were on my list but I came to find them a bit sketchy. At least compared to Dormont itself. Perhaps, that is only skin-deep. What parts of those 'hoods aren't too bad?
Beechview is sketchy in the same way Millvale is - a bit of a drug problem and some petty property crime. But it's really no worse than the city average, and there are signs of a turnaround in the neighborhood.

Overbrook is a different story, with Saw Mill Run Blvd the dividing line. The area on the Carrick side is going through the same issues as Carrick (falling property values, increasing levels of gang violence) albeit to a lesser extent. The area by Brookline is just fine.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:07 PM

508 posts, read 888,904 times
Really, so you would put Beechview and Millvale on the same "wavelength?" But Brookline is a notch above either Beechview or Millvale.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Really, so you would put Beechview and Millvale on the same "wavelength?" But Brookline is a notch above either Beechview or Millvale.
In terms of housing quality, Beechview is obviously higher than Millvale, but not quite as good as Brookline.

In terms of overall safety, I think the two are similar - gritty, but not actually unsafe.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:06 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
i haaated living in the south side slopes, on gregory near 18th. parking was a struggle every day, we got roaches from our neighbors repeatedly, walking or biking anywhere involved enormous hills, and between the college kids, the actual kids, and the kids' parents and barking dogs, it was loud 24/7. then again a friend lived a couple of streets away on a nice quiet block of magdalena with houses on only one side and an amazing view. so you never know.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:16 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,995 times
This is one of the more interesting threads we have had in some time. A couple of comments. The original poster is sort of unique in that they only need 2 bedrooms and have no need for schools. So, realistically they can buy a 2 bedroom in a less than stellar school district. Not many people are in the same position.

It also seems that we are pushing the same neighborhoods (Greenfield and Oakmont, for example) and telling the OP to wait until they find the diamond in the rough. Realistically, people are going to snatch up quickly anything that is cheap and in good shape in the more affluent neighborhoods of the East End. I am guilty of this too. My point is that you will have far more options in nieghborhoods that aren't mentioned daily in this forum. Perhaps Bellvue, Etna or Sharpsburg would work. 80,000 buys a lot of house in Penn Hills if you can deal with the burbs. My point is that 80,000 isn't that much so you really have to consider some "new" neighborhoods.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 AM

799 posts, read 1,289,502 times
Sharpsburg is a neighborhood I have my eye on. I see it trending like Millvale.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:06 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
Quote:
Mt. Lebanon was also high on my list but it is slightly out of the price range. I nearly stepped up to the plate with respect to a house on Gilkeson Road. But I was extremely concerned about having them on a "main road." The traffic seemed a bit much. Maybe, the hierarchy (exclusive to the purposes of this discussion and not to besmirch any others) goes a bit like this:

Millvale (entry level and slightly less urban)
Beechview/Overbrook (entry level, some good streets and slightly more urban)
Brookline (mid-level, step up from Beechview and Overbrook)
Dormont (fairly solid)
Oakmont (fairly solid and a bit more suburban)
Greenfield (a more affordable version of Squirrel Hill)
Squirrel Hill (the gold standard in the city)
Mt. Lebanon (the gold standard in the 'burbs)

Recalling a previous participant to this post: Morningside also appeals. A friend of mine said it isn't half bad and there appears to be some kind of business or shopping area. South Side Slopes are definitely high up on the list. Although, there doesn't seem to be much housing stock left there for obvious reasons. Not to mention the parking situation every time I go up by the Monastery is a bit challenging.
I can comment on the house on Gilkeson. I am not sure which one you saw. There were two for sale in the begining of summer. Right now there's only one available and they lowered the price to 79k (just looked). That is a steal, believe me. It is very quiet in the back, where you have the hill and lots of nature. I used to live few houses down from the one that's for sale some years ago and I know this from my own experience. The traffic didn;t bother me because growing up I lived next to a train station where trains were running all night long, then I lived in a flat close to tram tracks. I just thought it is worth mentioning to you that that is a very nice house (my neignbour;s) and there are curtains nowadays that absorb noise (Bed bath and beyond has them). Besides at rush hour I never had any problem getting out or in the garage. Give it some thought. It is not as bad as you think. And the house is in good condition. ANd I thought that new yorkers are used to traffic, but you know better, just my 2cents.

Morningside is an excellent choice if you can find a house in that price range, which I very much doubt. Or if you do, it needs major work. You'll be pouring at least 25k into it just to make it livable. I have a close friend who lives there and I visit every week. This spring a 2 bd house across the street from my friend was sold for 99k and it stayed on the market very little. All I know is that houses over there sell rapidly and the prices are on the rise. 80k will only buy you a fixer upper.

These two I know first hand, but please do your homework.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:26 AM

Another thought. What about Swissvale?

The Regent Square portion is too expensive, and the portion south of Church and S Braddock is nearly as Sketchy as Rankin. But the remainder is safe and affordable, and has decent access to both the highway and the East Busway. There's some nice foursquares you can get at a cheap price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh