Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:37 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking that as I only have an associates in Accounting, why not go ahead and do a Batchelors in Accounting. We are in Bridgeville. Does anyone know what colleges are good (dont want to spend a furtune) and that I could begin in Jan.

Thanks

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 11:23 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Some colleges have classes that are held at South Point. California Univ of Pa. and Waynesburg University.

Indiana Univ of Pa. has some Pittsburgh locations that might work. Indiana and Cal U are both State Schools so they are more affodable.

I think you have to the quality of the education, the location and the cost when making a decision.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:42 PM

674 posts, read 1,412,274 times
California University of Pa's facilities in Southpointe are really nice (I have been there for several functions), and would be super convenient for you. As it is a state school, it will probably be among the more reasonable of choices. But I have no idea if they would offer the kind of program you would be looking for (I just don't know anything about it).

Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM

16 posts, read 30,596 times
I have known two people who have transferred into Point Park University (downtown) with associate degrees. They are very generous with transferring credits. They might be bit more pricey compared to the state schools, but you might also not have to take as many courses to graduate.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:55 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
chatham has a great adult learning program where you can take grad-level tests and get credit for your life experience in addition to taking classes. it's not cheap but is the same deal as point park - it might be cheaper in the long run. my dad did a similar program in ct and it really worked out well for him. he was in his 50s and working full time and i think it only took him a year or 2 to do a full bachelor's degree (starting from a high school diploma and a year of college in 1966!).

Old 09-04-2012, 01:45 PM

Thanks. I will look into all of them. I just got the associates a year ago after also working, kids etc. But i loved going to school for ME (to be selfish).

Old 09-04-2012, 02:49 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
Dorothy I don;t know your schedule but if you are up for hard work and willing to do online study I'd look into governors college. (google it up please I don;t know if I am allowed to post links). The difference is you don;t buy credits you buy time. If you study hard and take more credits in a specific amount of time you get ahead money wise. I also think that Indiana offers accounting degree on-line (this way you don;t have to commute).
I really admire your hard work and desire to do more. Good luck to you.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:01 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
California University of Pa's facilities in Southpointe are really nice (I have been there for several functions), and would be super convenient for you. As it is a state school, it will probably be among the more reasonable of choices. But I have no idea if they would offer the kind of program you would be looking for (I just don't know anything about it).
This will be your most logical choice. Other schools will be more expensive and less convenient. Check out reviews of professors on Schools in Pennsylvania - RateMyProfessors.com before registering for a class. Also, be very leery of online programs. Most instructors don't have a clue on how to teach an online class.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Dorothy I don;t know your schedule but if you are up for hard work and willing to do online study I'd look into governors college. (google it up please I don;t know if I am allowed to post links). The difference is you don;t buy credits you buy time. If you study hard and take more credits in a specific amount of time you get ahead money wise. I also think that Indiana offers accounting degree on-line (this way you don;t have to commute).
I really admire your hard work and desire to do more. Good luck to you.
A friend of mine did the Governors online degree after she got her nursing degree first. It worked out well for her as she was working overnight and didnt have the energy to sit thru a regular class.

I dont know if I would be that good. So I think a regular college would be better. I had one online class that was easy to do but I dont know if I could do it all online. As we are new here also, it would be good to get out and meet people in a class setting.

I will check into all the other colleges. I would intend on going full time which is what I did before and even though my spare time was none existant, it worked well.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:13 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Thanks. I will look into all of them. I just got the associates a year ago after also working, kids etc. But i loved going to school for ME (to be selfish).
I think Carlow University is near you. I know what you mean about going to school "just for ME" . I finised my BA ten years later than I should have and I appreciated it so much more!

Good for you for returning to school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh