Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:47 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this causes drama, but in the time since I've joined, I've noticed several posters, both new to the forum and long timers, do things which directly violate the TOS of the forum, including outright trolling and directly insulting other forumers. I've personally sent complaints regarding two forumers, one on several occasions, and never gotten any responses.

I've been on the internet since 1997, and this just seems...weird...to me. I know Yac moderates a ridiculous amount of other forums. With absolutely no offense meant towards him, maybe we need to have a dedicated mod elected just for our forum?

Last edited by eschaton; 10-10-2012 at 07:29 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 06:53 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,597,475 times
I'm pretty sure this thread of yours is a direct violation of TOS. You're not supposed to discuss mod action in the forums. You should send this idea to the senior mods for consideration. But this could be the kind of thing they don't feel beholden to respond to.

As I recall this has come up to some degree in the past here in Pittsburgh. I'm pretty sure the response was that we're big girls and boys and don't need or want to be too closely babysat. Threads do get shut down or reprimanded, though, so clearly someone is watching. Reporting offending posts, not engaging in flame wars or with trolls, and being patient is the thing to do. Easier said than done sometimes.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
I think it's perfectly moderated. Over moderation is the kiss of death for discussion websites. What you don't see are the thngs that go on behind the scenes, people get temporary bans without it being announced, etc. I like that this forum keeps that stuff quiet. It causes too much drama when everyone knows what's happening.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:11 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
I personally think all posts from Lawrenceville should be deleted. Hi, Yac!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I'm pretty sure this thread of yours is a direct violation of TOS. You're not supposed to discuss mod action in the forums. You should send this idea to the senior mods for consideration. But this could be the kind of thing they don't feel beholden to respond to.

As I recall this has come up to some degree in the past here in Pittsburgh. I'm pretty sure the response was that we're big girls and boys and don't need or want to be too closely babysat. Threads do get shut down or reprimanded, though, so clearly someone is watching. Reporting offending posts, not engaging in flame wars or with trolls, and being patient is the thing to do. Easier said than done sometimes.
My understanding of the TOS is discussing particular moderator actions are violations. Thus if I said "why did Yac ban X" or "why did Yac close thread Y" I would be in violation. But I don't see the question worded as vaguely as I did as as any violation.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My understanding of the TOS is discussing particular moderator actions are violations. Thus if I said "why did Yac ban X" or "why did Yac close thread Y" I would be in violation. But I don't see the question worded as vaguely as I did as as any violation.
Directly from the TOS:

Discussing moderator actions (deleting/moving/editing threads or posts) is not allowed in the public forums. General concerns should be addressed in About the Forum. Any particular issues will only be dealt with in Direct Messages sent to a local moderator. All complaints should be sent via DM to the senior moderators, Yac or Marka.

The place to discuss this issue is "About the Forum".

Old 10-10-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Directly from the TOS:

Discussing moderator actions (deleting/moving/editing threads or posts) is not allowed in the public forums. General concerns should be addressed in About the Forum. Any particular issues will only be dealt with in Direct Messages sent to a local moderator. All complaints should be sent via DM to the senior moderators, Yac or Marka.

The place to discuss this issue is "About the Forum".
I didn't discuss a moderator action. I suppose you could say I discussed a moderator inaction, but my question was more general.

Still, you might be right that this would count as a "general concern" and belong in the About the Forum subforum. It would be a bit silly to post "is the Pittsburgh subforum under-moderated" there though.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
I got an infraction for mentioning the word "moderator" on this particular forum.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I got an infraction for mentioning the word "moderator" on this particular forum.
Okay. It's weird, but if that's the way the forum mods want to roll, it's their business.

Yac or whoever, feel free to close this thread.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:23 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,136,372 times
It's not like the old days. Posting on forums in the 1990s was like WWE or for the Pittsburgh old timers, Studio Wrestling with Bill Cardille on WIIC. Pure hostile vitriol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh