Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:03 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
2. The tunnels.....................if I can drive my car over 120 mph through the tunnels, you can safely drive through them at 50-60 mph without incident.
If you're driving through the Squirrel Hill Tunnel at 120mph, I'm going to start slowing down just so I can stop more rapidly if I happen to be behind you after you crash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
If you're driving through the Squirrel Hill Tunnel at 120mph, I'm going to start slowing down just so I can stop more rapidly if I happen to be behind you after you crash.

Ok

Old 10-05-2012, 12:55 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
I'll give you multiple examples of timid in just a moment.

When I first moved here, my biggest pet peeve was the inability to merge; now that I commute daily from the city to Warrendale, my biggest pet peeve is the left lane blockers. More specifically, the people who drive for MILES in the left lane, as if they belong there.

As to my timid comments, these are things I see on a daily basis, and some I've experienced in just the last 24 hours.

1. "Waiting for an invitation".......those drivers who are brave enough to use their turning signals to indicate they want to switch lanes, but hesitate, and hesitate, and hesitate...even though I've given them a two car length space to get in.

2. The tunnels.....................if I can drive my car over 120 mph through the tunnels, you can safely drive through them at 50-60 mph without incident.

3. Fear of driving in confined spaces/lack of perception..........We were recently on Washington Blvd near the intersection of Allegheny River Blvd. We came to the point where you can break off to the right on to Allegheny River Blvd, and a car had a space wide enough to drive a U Haul through, but slowwwwwwwly, slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly, slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly crept up to that point, as if they thought there passenger car wouldn't fit.

4. Over use of brakes around corners and down even the slightest of grades. I've never seen people using brakes around some of the most simple curves and slightest grades. We were travelling down One Wild Place last night, and had an Infinity SUV in front of me who came to nearly a complete stop to round the first curve going downhill. I shifted down to 2nd gear, never touched my brakes or gas, and was fine.

You need to move North of I 80, people above that drive really good n'at.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
You need to move North of I 80, people above that drive really good n'at.
Well, they certainly have merging down, and the only people I see driving for miles in the left lane are people who have Pittsburgh area car dealership license plate holders.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Well, they certainly have merging down, and the only people I see driving for miles in the left lane are people who have Pittsburgh area car dealership license plate holders.

Sorry, the Rte 90 strip on my way to Chatauqua is the worst, no one knows how to merge. My guess is they don't live there.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Sorry, the Rte 90 strip on my way to Chatauqua is the worst, no one knows how to merge. My guess is they don't live there.
And as I've answered you back many times, I-90 is very congested between Peach Street and Harborcreek exits. My mother lives off of the State Street exit and I never have a problem with people moving over when I merge.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:20 PM

Yet when I drive there it's nuts, no one knows how to merge.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:20 AM

And on this morning..............I'm reminded of one more great example of timid driving..............fear of driving in rain.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:47 AM

70 posts, read 175,094 times
Quote:
And on this morning..............I'm reminded of one more great example of timid driving..............fear of driving in rain.
I would give them that.....most old cars may not be in a condition (or have the technology in the first place) to take that turn at the same speed that one can take in a more modern vehicle.

I would prefer people slow down in the rain rather than make mistakes. Hydroplaning is not fun.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
the one thing that really irritates me is people waving other people through 4-way stops. i can see they think they're being nice, but it just slows everything down and makes it more dangerous as people hesitate to figure out the situation and then maybe the person whose turn it actually is will just go, and the person they were waving through will finally go, and blam. it's so much safer and faster for EVERYONE if people just go in turn.

also i don't know that this is specific to pittsburgh but pretty much every time there's a power outage and the traffic signals are out, i see people just driving through them like they're not there. what the hell!! just think for 2 seconds about what you're doing there. just because the traffic light isn't on doesn't mean it's gone and no longer necessary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh