Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2012, 09:22 AM

18 posts, read 37,144 times

Advertisements

Which of these 2 hospitals would you recommend (and why) for an emergency room visit since I live equidistant from each of them? I'm new to the area and just need to know in advance where to go for any unexpected health issues.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 09:35 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,292,054 times
Personally, I'd go to Ohio Valley.

Ohio Valley is a community hospital out in Kennedy Township with easy parking, they are more than capable of taking care of what comes there way.

AGH is a large inner city trauma facility and teaching institution. If you have a serious car wreck or take a bullet, the medics will take there or to Mercy or Presbyterian. AGH is a lot noisier and hectic. Not nearly the presence of volunteers that the suburban hospitals have.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:50 AM

22,719 posts, read 47,943,578 times
OV - for the reasons listed above.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,296,921 times
I've never been to Ohio Valley so I can't speak for it.

I like Allegheny General for broken bones. Since it's a teaching hospital, you'll get your break set and a permanent cast while at the hospital. Suburban ER's typically don't have ortho staff, you only get a temporary split and sent for a followup appointment with an ortho at their offices a few days later. That means going a few days without a cast. As a result, a teaching hospital is an ideal ER for serious stuff. For everyday stuff, like dehydration due to flu, suburban ERs are better because the atmosphere is generally more attractive.

It really depends on the reason you are going to the ER. I go to different ones for different things. My main focus has been AGH, West Penn, St. Margarets, Passavant, but I have been to Butler (nearest at an urgent time), Jefferson, Presby, Magee, Children's, Shadyside and a few others in surrounding counties. Hands down, my best ER experience was Jefferson when I had a child with croup. The treatment and customer service was top notch. They wisked my child away and took care of him better than Childrens ever hoped to take care of my children. And AGH was best for broken bones because casts were set in the ER. There's nothing worse than having a kid with a broken bone and having to wait a couple of days to go to a doctor's office for a cast because the suburban ER doesn't do it.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:54 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,601,499 times
AGH Always go with a teaching hospital. Plus, my wife worked there for 20 years.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:29 PM

812 posts, read 1,912,907 times
Really depends on reason like others posted. Minor things OV anything serious or potentially serious I would go to AGH. I used to work there as well.
I lived 10 mins from OV and had simple outpatient performed there one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: