Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 10:36 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 26,012,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Good luck to you! I hope you win. I must admit that this reassessment stuff makes me nervous. I'm worried about how it will impact me with the home I am in the process of buying. I'm planning to do a lot of work on the place which should increase value. I'm concerned about how that will affect my tax liability.
Actually, I think you will be in a better situation. The taxes on the home you are buying will have the assessment in place. Lets have a look at your situation a little closer. I am going to use low round simple numbers not reflecting actual purchase prices.

1. You purchase a home for $100K and the assessment is $125K. You can fight for your taxes to be lowered and will have a very good chance of winning.
2. You purchase a home for $100K and it is assessed at $80K. Be prepared to pay on the purchase price incase the school district takes you to court and wins. If you keep the $80K assessment, then you are that much further ahead.

After this reassessment is done, things will be more clear for a homeowner. The only issue that we will face in this region is the school tax increases because of the pension/healthcare problem that is going to grow each year. At least those increases won't double your taxes or have massive impacts in one year.

Anyway, I feel you are in a better position now that the reassessment is there for you to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 07:53 AM

173 posts, read 309,921 times
I had my assessment hearing on Saturday morning (school district is appealing my assessment). I went in, district went first, presented 3 comparable properties supporting their case and said they wanted the assessment based on the sales price. They didn't bring a copy of their documentation for me, which I questioned, but the guy behind the desk said it didn't matter because it's public information and we continued on.

I then presented my comparables, and presented a HUD and contract showing a $12k+ sellers assist. One of my comparables is the same neighborhood, same builder, same year, same basic architectural design (houses look pretty identical), and it sold in 2010 for my assessed value. All told, the process took less than 10 minutes. No idea when I'll find out the decision. I'm hoping they're as hard on the school districts as they are on homeowners who appeal.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 AM

270 posts, read 341,552 times
It has got to be confusing for someone buying a home right now with this assessment mess going on. Heck, it was already confusing enough before. The fact is there is no way right now to determine how much you will be paying in taxes starting next year. You must guess. The only smart thing to do is take your expected sale price or the 2013 assessed value, use the higher number of the two, assume the tax rates will not change, and calculate a "worst case scenario" number. In most cases that number will be much higher than reality, but better safe than sorry.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:56 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,564,509 times
Just base your taxes on the sale price, chances are the assessed value will be lower than the sp. If it's higher, appeal next year, take your sales agreement with you, and it will be lowered.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjtocool View Post
I had my assessment hearing on Saturday morning (school district is appealing my assessment). I went in, district went first, presented 3 comparable properties supporting their case and said they wanted the assessment based on the sales price. They didn't bring a copy of their documentation for me, which I questioned, but the guy behind the desk said it didn't matter because it's public information and we continued on.

I then presented my comparables, and presented a HUD and contract showing a $12k+ sellers assist. One of my comparables is the same neighborhood, same builder, same year, same basic architectural design (houses look pretty identical), and it sold in 2010 for my assessed value. All told, the process took less than 10 minutes. No idea when I'll find out the decision. I'm hoping they're as hard on the school districts as they are on homeowners who appeal.
My guess is your in the 300K range, that's usually what the SDs go after. Hate to say it, but if your house is assessed significantly lower than the sales price, you'll see an increase in the assessment, no matter what your neighbor's value is.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
My guess is your in the 300K range, that's usually what the SDs go after. Hate to say it, but if your house is assessed significantly lower than the sales price, you'll see an increase in the assessment, no matter what your neighbor's value is.
FWIW, this isn't true in all districts. I have a crap rental in Sharpsburg and it is worth pennies and the district took me to court about it. Not anywhere near $300K let alone $70K. Just want people to realize some districts will take any valued property and make a case out of it.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
FWIW, this isn't true in all districts. I have a crap rental in Sharpsburg and it is worth pennies and the district took me to court about it. Not anywhere near $300K let alone $70K. Just want people to realize some districts will take any valued property and make a case out of it.
You're correct, but FC is very different from USC, Mt. Lebo, or NA. You have some poor areas there, my guess is they can't show favortism and appeal any descrepancy between assessed value and sale price.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
You're correct, but FC is very different from USC, Mt. Lebo, or NA. You have some poor areas there, my guess is they can't show favortism and appeal any descrepancy between assessed value and sale price.
NA and the others also have a wide range of housing prices. That being said, if someone wanted to sue the school district for going after homes above $300K only, they would have a case. FC has a zillion attorneys living in the area, so they know better to pull that stuff. Probably not enough savvy attorneys out in USC, Mt. Lebo and NA.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
NA and the others also have a wide range of housing prices. That being said, if someone wanted to sue the school district for going after homes above $300K only, they would have a case. FC has a zillion attorneys living in the area, so they know better to pull that stuff. Probably not enough savvy attorneys out in USC, Mt. Lebo and NA.
I don't think you'll find much Section 8 housing or welfare types in NA, Lebo, or USC, unlike the growing amount in Sharpsburg.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:02 PM

270 posts, read 341,552 times
Quote:
Don't count on the barrier being $300K. I see my SD going after some homes in the $200's. It's more about the difference between sales price and assessed value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh