Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 07:19 PM

429 posts, read 654,381 times

Advertisements

Why in the face of horrible tragedies there must be some NRA guy chime in to remind us that if we had people packing heat in the zoo the world would be a safer place?

Old 11-04-2012, 07:23 PM

480 posts, read 611,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It's tragic that ANY of the animals were eliminated to begin with for something that, while tragic, was the result of human negligence.
I disagree. You have to do what you have to do to get to that child. The police for once were correct in their actions here.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Even if it is the mother's fault, human error, I think the zoo needs to improve the barrier, as I've already stated.

I've been to that exhibit. It's just a wooden deck with a wooden railing like a deck on a house, except it has some mesh below.

The mesh is meant to keep the animals from climbing up, not to catch people who fall.

It's not even a far drop on one side at the top of the hill. It appears you could easily swing over and land without getting hurt.

It's a fine barrier for animals that aren't dangerous. It's not appropriate for animals that are dangerous.

Although I understand your saying that we shouldn't rush to judge the mother without having more information, I think there would be reports of the railing breaking
Based off of your information it does sound like this exhibit was not idiot proofed.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Terrible beyond words.

The only thing that blows my mind is that the parents or bystanders didn't hop the wall. I can't fathom standing by to watch your child die...11ft drop and a pack of wild dogs or not. They could eat me, but my 9 month old is getting tossed out of that pit, or maybe I could buy enough time to where help could get there to save her. I'm not judging, but I just don't understand.
Easy to say from someone who wasn't there at the scene. It's easy to judge when you aren't int hat situation. What if someone would've tried to go down there and then broke their leg when they landed? Another victim. These things happen fast and not everyone is ready to be a hero or put themselves in jeopardy. I don't even know what I would've done in the situation and I'm a capable young male who could've probably landed safely.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
I also feel bad for the mother. So many uncalled for comments on the internet. Obviously what she did was not a smart thing to do, but people have to remember that a mother had to watch her own child get mauled and killed by wild animals. That tragedy would be so awful even if it was her mistake. That 5 minutes will haunt her and her husband for the rest of her life. I think compassion for somebody to go through such a terrible incident is better than judging somebody who is probably in experience the worst a parent could experience.
It's easy for people to say things behind their computer.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
My son could take a few of them out while providing cover for someone to get the child to safety.

He is trained to act in situations like this and would not hesitate to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy to say this when you aren't in the situation. We are talking about WILD DOGS who were in lets kill mode. It's going to take more than 1-2 person with a gun to handle this.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 PM

441 posts, read 766,450 times
I find the internet tough guys here hilarious.

Okay, so you want me to believe that you're going to jump 14 feet into a pit of wild dogs? If, by some miracle, you make it to the boy unharmed, now what? Unless you have medical training, you can't move the boy because he just took a 14 foot fall and basic first aid dictates that moving a fall victim will only injure the person further. So the plan to is keep the dogs away from him. How do you plan to do that unarmed? Wave your arms around and "look big"? That will work until one the dogs takes out an artery.

I'd love to hear the responses. And laugh at them. Because 99% of the people pontificating here would stand there screaming with everyone else. You know it. I know it.

And for the people who think bystanders should have jumped in to help the kid: having untrained and unarmed people jumping 14 feet into a pack of wild dogs is only going to add injuries and deaths to an already tragic situation. It's better and safer for everyone involved to remain calm and stay out of the way so that the zoo employees, police, and paramedics can do their job.

Last edited by Tirade; 11-04-2012 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Typos

Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
I'm not kidding. I would hop the barrier without hesitation.

Again I'm not judging/bashing the mom/dad who are experiencing the most horrific thing that any parent can be put through, but I just can't imagine why any parent isn't going in after their child.
i know you are serious but you really, really do not know what you would do. going into shock is not a choice. neither is acting, really. primal instincts take over in situations like that and people don't think or plan or make logical choices or do what they know in their heart they would do when they are safe and in a clear state of mind.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:38 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
So sad. The exhibit needs to be changed with a better barrier to protect people from doing stupid things though.

Of course the dogs should not be killed. It wasn't their fault. They were doing what they are meant to do.

By all means put out even more money to make a higher enclosure instead of making humans responsible for their own stupid actions. Common sense SHOULD tell you NOT to do something like that, the Zoo a ball park, rail road tracks, and many other things in life should not have to have a huge barrier just because humans are stupid and do stupid things and have the idea that "It always happens to someone else, it will never happen to me" attitude. It's always funny until someone gets killed or maimed for the duration of their time on earth.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
Why in the face of horrible tragedies there must be some NRA guy chime in to remind us that if we had people packing heat in the zoo the world would be a safer place?

Cause that's how they all think lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh