Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 04:48 AM

115 posts, read 186,271 times

Advertisements

With the reported four-foot-high railing around the exhibit, the mother would have been holding the kid at least 5 feet from the ground. That would not make for ideal leverage to hold a kid.

I once saw a similar incident at 3 Rivers Stadium, when a toddler was help on the top railing of the upper decks, in a winter coat, no less. The father saw absolutely no problem with this, even with several spectators yelling at him.

Kids are not little adults. They do not belong in certain places, or situations, that a normal adult would have no problem with. They scream and act up during church services and in restaurants, they are not tall enough to go on some amusement park rides, they need support seats in cars, and have to be accompanied in both public and private places. In this case, what fantastic memory would a 2 year old have of a zoo visit? The kid didn't belong there at all, let alone being held up on a fence.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marktheshark View Post
With the reported four-foot-high railing around the exhibit, the mother would have been holding the kid at least 5 feet from the ground. That would not make for ideal leverage to hold a kid.

Yes, and toddlers are top heavy. Would be very difficult to hold a squirmy 2 year old in this position. What a think to have happen.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:51 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i know you are serious but you really, really do not know what you would do. going into shock is not a choice. neither is acting, really. primal instincts take over in situations like that and people don't think or plan or make logical choices or do what they know in their heart they would do when they are safe and in a clear state of mind.

I understand the point that you're attempting to make, and it applies to many situations. This isn't one of them.

I'm not trying to judge or second guess the mother. I feel nothing but genuine gutwrenching pity for what she's going through. I just can't imagine how anyone wouldn't be compelled either at first when the child fell or later when it began to scream. 14 ft, 20 ft, 50ft even if only to crawl on top and hopefully protect my child from being mauled until help can arrive...I'm going into the pit.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:55 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghuser View Post
so tragic and avoidable
That's the truth. I'm tired of reading all the "don't judge" comments directed at people like myself who are critical of the mothers actions. "Don't judge" is the 21st century way of saying "overlook the obvious."

Old 11-05-2012, 06:02 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
I have a feeling the mother now knows what the obvious is. Also, it is hard to call someone an idiot when they no doubt are reliving the stupid act over and over and probably will be living that for the rest of their lives. Not to mention watching the outcome of that act, which no doubt was horrific. I don't think there is any need to put this poor women down even more. How low do we want her to go? Just a sad thing and I feel bad for all that have been touched by this. The ripples in and around that family would have to be horrible. Blame, guilt, regret and sorrow for starters.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:18 AM

461 posts, read 748,928 times
I feel so badly for the child's parents and cannot begin to imagine their anguish. The zoo staff have been severely traumatized by this.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:25 AM

429 posts, read 654,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I have a feeling the mother now knows what the obvious is. Also, it is hard to call someone an idiot when they no doubt are reliving the stupid act over and over and probably will be living that for the rest of their lives. Not to mention watching the outcome of that act, which no doubt was horrific. I don't think there is any need to put this poor women down even more. How low do we want her to go? Just a sad thing and I feel bad for all that have been touched by this. The ripples in and around that family would have to be horrible. Blame, guilt, regret and sorrow for starters.
Well said. I keep imagining her and the chaos afterwards. I imagine her husband finding out about this and how this will ruin his life as well. There is no reason for me to put her down. I think what she is living through is horrific enough. This story really is bothering me. I woke up last night thinking about this. As a parent of a toddler our whole task is to prevent the little guy from tragedy. He is always wanting to pick up everything and put it in his mouth, climb up stairs, try to push the TV. I heard of this and it must be the worst of the absolute worst to ever endure. Especially since she will feel if she could only go back in time and not try to give him a better view.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:33 AM

429 posts, read 654,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marktheshark View Post

I once saw a similar incident at 3 Rivers Stadium, when a toddler was help on the top railing of the upper decks, in a winter coat, no less. The father saw absolutely no problem with this, even with several spectators yelling at him.

Kids are not little adults. They do not belong in certain places, or situations, that a normal adult would have no problem with. They scream and act up during church services and in restaurants, they are not tall enough to go on some amusement park rides, they need support seats in cars, and have to be accompanied in both public and private places. In this case, what fantastic memory would a 2 year old have of a zoo visit? The kid didn't belong there at all, let alone being held up on a fence.
Really, 2 year olds don't belong in a zoo? My nephews all love zoos and aquariums at this age. Kids get very excited seeing animals and visual things at zoos and aquariums. He didn't belong on the rail, but the zoo? Have you ever had a toddler?

Old 11-05-2012, 06:38 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
That's the truth. I'm tired of reading all the "don't judge" comments directed at people like myself who are critical of the mothers actions. "Don't judge" is the 21st century way of saying "overlook the obvious."
ok then, judge. post all about how what this woman was stupid and wrong and should have done x y z and how YOU would never make such a dumb mistake. what are you accomplishing, besides making yourself feel superior (and potentially making her and the rest of the kid's family and friends, who could be reading this public forum and many others where this kind of discussion is happening, feel even worse)? do you think she has not already thought of all of this stuff, over and over and over again since this happened, and probably will for the rest of her life? do you think this woman could have POSSIBLY suffered worse consequences for her actions?

it's called empathy, you should try it some time. or you know, you can cry about how tired you are of people are asking people like you to have some. your choice. poor you.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
Really, 2 year olds don't belong in a zoo? My nephews all love zoos and aquariums at this age. Kids get very excited seeing animals and visual things at zoos and aquariums. He didn't belong on the rail, but the zoo? Have you ever had a toddler?
agreed. 2 years olds are definitely old enough to be at the zoo. i've seen people holding up tiny babies to look at lions and that's kind of silly (just admit it, you are the one who wants to see the lions and the baby can't even see that far!), but 2 or 3 is for sure old enough to appreciate a zoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh