Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 03:58 PM

482 posts, read 1,234,415 times

Advertisements

Being stopped for not using a turn signal, while stupid, could be legit. The question now turns to: what was the officer's probable cause to search the vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 04:56 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Call Bill D as I suggested. He knows the ins and out of all that stuff. Believe me, you will be his most laid back case. He handles the big boy stuff, but believe me, when they see his name on something, it goes a ways. Nothing wrong with having a high powered attorney. Lots of times they are about the same price as any of them.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:57 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,380,495 times
Quote:
Well, as I found out, it was a bundle of Heroine which equals 10 stamp bags. I would expect under a gram for sure, howevver Heroine is measured slightly different and that is a personal amount.
I'm not in the know when it comes to this, although it sounds like he had more than a gram...

Old 11-27-2012, 05:21 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,640 times
The arrest would not be my primary worry. Heroin is highly addictive. The drug can ruin his life more than any trouble with the law.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:39 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
Being stopped for not using a turn signal, could be legit.
Yep, it can be!
Even if you are in a specific marked turning lane, you still have to use the turn signal, or they can stop you.
Rarely cited, but still a warning & a stop.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
Yep, it can be!
Even if you are in a specific marked turning lane, you still have to use the turn signal, or they can stop you.
Rarely cited, but still a warning & a stop.
Yes, but it a leap to go from no turn signal to being pulled out of the car and searched. This is a usually BS tactic by cops, often an excuse for the crime of DWB. He could have also been pulled over for dirty head lights, suspicion of texting while driving, or any other trivial offense. My original point was that the stop was just a cover for a fishing expedition that turn out to be a big score for the cop.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:15 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
My original point was that the stop was just a cover for a fishing expedition that turn out to be a big score for the cop.
Agreed 100%
They take any opportunity they can just for a "legal" routine stop. That gives the opening to talk to the driver, see what actions, any smells, what might be in the back seat or center console, etc, and lead to further search, arrest, or citation, if anything.

The quick stops have indeed worked many times to end up in huge drug busts, finding folks with outstanding warrants, etc.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:01 PM

440 posts, read 549,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
This is my area. If found guilty he will likely get PWV. Probation without Verdict. Basically, ARD for drug cases. Google it and you will understand the likely outcome. This of couse if they can establish control. Basically, if it was within his arms reach and not the passenger. You gotta know where the baggie was. The other thing to consider was why he was pulled over. Was the stop legit? Pay an attorney and hire a court reporter if you thing the stop was at all questionable.

You really hit the nail on the head. This is still a misdemeanor charge so there will not be jail time, however there is very Stiff fine with probation and some other classes. So now , echoing , what everyone is saying His attorney is looking into possibly going into claiming the officer had NO real reason to pull him over and to search.

You know-- I have always been a real big supporter of Police. Even in this situation the cop (just or not ) did a great job stoping the spreading of drugs on my cousin and in his community. HOWEVER--the attitudes and demeanor that a lot seem to have is really becoming off putting. That is for another thread and topic , but I asked a City Cop that was walking down the street if I was near a certain federal building. His exact response was -- use your smart phone or get a map, I'm not a gotdamn tour guide. and got back into his car and speed off. i was shocked but like i Said different thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
His exact response was -- use your smart phone or get a map, I'm not a gotdamn tour guide. and got back into his car and speed off. i was shocked but like i Said different thread
Wow! That's terrible. If he's not a goddamn tour guide, I'd like to know what he does? Back in the 80s, a car pushed my car through a stop light and up onto a sidewalk almost pushing it into a brick wall. This was in North Side. When I got out of my car while it was up on the sidewalk, I tried to flag down a police car driving by. Two police officers just cruised slowly by ignoring me. The offender had just gone onto the ramp of 279. If they had stopped to find out what happened, they could have chased the jerk down and arrested him. As far as I can tell, Pittsburgh police don't do anything but drive around with their windows rolled up.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:41 PM

321 posts, read 861,477 times
I hope this guy does NOT get jail time. Our country is too obsessed with drug crimes and is letting a lot of REAL criminals run free because all the drug criminals are taking up the jail space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh